Coming Soon - New Mission Using The Soar Dg808s

B21

Hello Ian, I got a chance to try the new DG808s in the installed mission yesterday and I started wondering if I needed to have CumulusX! turned off. Are the thermals and slope lift being created by CumulusX!, or did you add them yourself? My thermals kept turning off before I have a chance to get lift, I would estimate from the time they developed (cloud becoming visible) to the time I got to them was not more than 3-5min. This happened with two or three of the thermals I tried. I ended up landing out 3/4th of the way to turnpoint 3. It may just be my inexperience still, but I want to say I've been thermal and ridge soaring enough to get myself out of these situations without too much trouble.

The readme as far as I know doesn't say either way if CumulusX! needs to be installed. I'll re-read to make sure though.

Scott

Hi Scott -- the mission included with the SOAR DG808S is designed to be used with CumulusX!, and there's no thermal code in either the mission or sim_probe. This is also true of the new mission I'm working on.

The included mission is easiest to complete by using ridge lift throughout - in this case sim_probe is calculating the lift but CumulusX! is receiving the ridgelift value and generating the effect in FSX. The thermals are fully under the control of CumulusX!, but note that thermalling in the strong winds of the included mission is going to be difficult - you have to push upwind from the cloud to find the thermal.

Ian

I have had a look at the real US Nationals 2008 Day 1 mission, (link is on flightsimulator.com), which has the same wind direction and strength (10kts) - the competition summary report for the day didn't look good --(more than half the competitors landed out) so I think Ian is throwing us a curve ball here - I think this new mission is going to be tough, start getting the spiders out of those gliders and put on the polish - this is going to be a doozy!!

Jeff

nah - in the real task many pilots struggled to climb, the ground was very wet, and it turned blue. In my mission there's healthy CumulusX! thermals, and decent Cu at 7000 feet. Plus the wind is consistent (although only 10 knots) so you can rely on some working ridge if the alignment is good enough (but you have to consider the orientation of the ridge carefully). Even so I think most people will find the mission challenging. I'm guessing the optimal route will be a mix of strong thermal and weak ridge, but it's hard to be sure. For sure the tricky part is climbing back up if you decide to descend down to ridgetop for a bit of a run.

Ian

Thanks for the suggestion Ian, I may have not been that far enough upwind of the cloud. I tried another time and ended up landing out by taking the wrong ridge from turnpoint3.

On a side note, can anyone verify any problems with using the created IGC files from Sim_Probe in FSZweverView2. I'll bring this over to the Sim_Probe forum.

Scott