Soar Dg808s

B21

The download of the SOAR DG808S V2 is available here

This is a new thread purely for *pilots* of the SOAR DG808S. We'll close the other thread soon as the development cycle finishes today or

tomorrow at the latest.

I've just completed the SOAR Mifflin - Day 1 mission in 57:46.8 without really trying (ok I tried a *bit*).

Immediate thoughts after flying the SOAR DG808S for a solid hour around the Pennsylvania ridges:

* the general handling and performance is pretty zippy. The better L/D at high speed isn't obvious immediately but you quickly detect the difference in a short run along the ridges. The glider is definitely more sensitive in pitch than before but you get used to it. The light turbulence moves the glider around a bit more too.

* the instruments are pretty good, even though I wrote them :thanks: This was my *first* completed flight with the 'arrival height' indication reading in real time and the final glide (at mccready 6=knots) was a blast. If you take the main ridge on the way back to Mifflin, crank up the mccready to +6 (knots) (or +3.0 m/s) and follow the ridge until you are at final glide +50 feet, and then peel off the ridge and fly the glideslope the last five miles or so to the airport. If the arrival height goes up, speed up, or vice versa.

* Dumping the ballast when you're about 4 miles to go is recommended. The netto reading will drift negative as the water comes out because the calibration is set for full ballast. Then you'll be good for a landing on full +ve flap, and I enjoyed the more accurate airbrakes as it took a while to get the glider down...

but you guys'll have to wait until the package gets the full team sign-off... then beat my time.

Ian

*edit - link updated to refer to V2, which replaces V1

• 1 month later...

SOAR DG808_V2 is downloadable in the SOAR downloads section. :yahoo:

Note for those who have installed SOAR DG808S V1:

The install proces of V2, as described in the readme. It will:

- bring the default FSX DG-808S back to default;

- disable SOAR DG808S V1;

- show SOAR V2 in the aircraft select list as a variation of the default DG-808S.

Bert