Making missions using CumulusX

MicB

Hi

I have some basic questions re Cumulus. I have read the other topics and cannot find answers.

1/ If I make a mission using cumulusx are the parameters I use also loaded at the users end when they run the mission.

2/ Would the same thermals be active each time the mission is run at the start or is there an randomisation involved

3/They must also have cumulusX running.

4/Is there anthing special I have to do in the mission for CumulusX parameters to be included in the mission.

5/I have breifly read the docs and it appears to create thermals and then they decay.

Thanks Mike

Hi

I have some basic questions re Cumulus. I have read the other topics and cannot find answers.

1/ If I make a mission using cumulusx are the parameters I use also loaded at the users end when they run the mission.

2/ Would the same thermals be active each time the mission is run at the start or is there an randomisation involved

3/They must also have cumulusX running.

4/Is there anthing special I have to do in the mission for CumulusX parameters to be included in the mission.

5/I have breifly read the docs and it appears to create thermals and then they decay.

Thanks Mike

1/ The mission sets the time/date/location/weather for the flight (in the .FLT and .WX) files, so CumulusX thermal behaviour will be repeatable based on those values. However, your CumulusX settings are local to your machine, so if you want to use something other than the 'Reset' defaults you would need to ship your settings file with the mission and get users to load them.

2/ yes, same thermals would be active but they have a lifecycle and on multiple runs the user won't necessarily be at the same place at exactly the same time.

3/ yes

4/ nothing special - you would need to ship your CumulusX settings file with the mission plus instructions. In my case (Mifflin Soaring Competition) I tried to stick with the default 'Reset' settings to make it simpler, but many users find these settings a bit hard when there's a wind blowing.

5/ true - they cycle - after decay they will build again.

My advice - the Mifflin missions are all in plain XML and rely entirely on CumulusX and sim_probe for lift, i.e. the missions are completely un-cluttered with thermal and ridgelift objects which make up the bulk of any normal soaring mission - you should play around with Day 1 to be clear on how it works if this is your first soaring mission. Note for soaring missions there is a complexity that the area you choose *may* have default FSX thermals still around, and users will find these and use them as they're much stronger than the more realistic CumulusX thermals.

Ian