Gliding and VATSIM [FSX]

Richard64

I know this has been touched on before but I would like some clarification please.

CumulusX is working just fine. I have Slope Data [ srtm] and auto thermals and sim probe works too.

However that is OFF line.

I have been to the Andes this morning to try out some gliding ON line.

I connected to VATSIM using FSinn but I do not see the thermals, [and found it very difficult to stay aloft],is this correct?

Also when using FSinn should you use "Real" weather or "clear" all weather.?

Does CX in fact work when you are connected online or are you stuck with whatever you have online?

Any help or suggestions on this and I would be obliged

Regards

Richard.

Hi Richard,

it was probably mostly related to current season,which is wintertime nowadays in Southern Hemisphere, so thermals are probably not active, and actual (real) weather, which might have not produced sufficient wind for good ridge lift.

That's like real life: You simply don't have that "Thermal Button" in your cockpit, that let you switch on and off lift to your discretion anymore.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your answer.

Are you saying that Cumulus X does NOT provide thermals when connected to VATSIM with FSinn???

Regards

Richard.

Are you saying that Cumulus X does NOT provide thermals when connected to VATSIM with FSinn???

Absolutely not, it will work with VATSIM the same as in normal mode. My remark referred to your problem finding thermals in SA. It may have been due to the weather conditions that were signalled by the VATSIM server, and the season which is wintertime now in SA.

The funny thing is, that the more realistic (and unaccountable) thermal behaviour becomes, people are considering it as a bug, when thermals are occasionally not present, rather than as a representation of reality, where you frequently do not have thermals as well. Then you wish to have a button to switch 'em on.

However, different from reality, you can choose weather and season in FSX approriately, so that CumulusX! will produce thermals for sure.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, thats great thanks.

I do hope I'm not being a nag but could you answer this for me.

You say to set the weather in FSX so that CX gives the thermals you want OK.?

But what about FSinn should you use "clear weather" or "real weather" as dictated by VATSIM.?

I have to know what settings to use so that I can pass the information on to club members.

If there are any particular settings in FSX that work best I would be obliged to know.?

I could of course go through all the options myself but it does seem more sensible to draw on your experience.

Kind Regards and again thanks for all your help.

Richard

If Vatsim or real weather gives you a bad rainy day, than Cx! wouldn't produce thermals.

If you are in regions with relevant season, i.e. far enough north or south of the equator, than thermal activity depends on the season, too. If you like to make sure thermals than switch FSINN clear weather and select "Fair weather theme" or design a nice weather condition with Cumulus clouds and a season during the summer half year.

There is a chapter in the doc which explains, when you have thermals or not, and it holds also for externally generated weather, be it from Vatsim, real world, or tools like ASX (last not tested personally but reported so by others).

best regards,

Peter

Peter, thanks,

I have been doing some experimenting this afternoon and have success.

At one point I couldn't get the glider DOWN.

I have been tinkering with the configeration settings and it now just a case of finding the best combination.

Regards

Richard.