Gliding Events

Richard64

You know what its like you read something and then when you want to find it again you can't for love nor money.

I THINK I read somewhere in this forum that "staying aloft as long as you can" events are not seen to be the done thing any more.

Is this correct and could someone tell me whether this is a real world thing or a simulator thing.

As I have explained elsewhere I am setting up a gliding section in the VFR club I belong to and a senior person has suggested a stay aloft event should be the first one we do but would this be correct.

When the section is up and running maybe some of you would like to join and help us novices ALTHOUGH I must mention that we do have many real world pilots both powered and glider in the club but help and advice and your company would be welcome.

We do 99.9% of our flying online via VATSIM in the UK, although I am hoping that if there is enough interest we will go "abroad".

Members use both FS9 and FSX.

At the moment I have about 15 members who are interested in gliding.

I have set up glider bases for both FS9 and FSX at Long Mynd,Talgarth,Sutton Bank and Parham.

Regards

Richard

Dear Richard,

indeed, in real life FAI doesn't record endurance gliding anymore since 1952, when it finalized with something like 56 hrs (Lindbergh's flight was 33 1/2 hrs, btw). It was considered as a mere stay-awake challenge rather than airmanship.

As of now all FAI soaring records has to completed between sunrise and and sunset. Yet, the long distance record is at 3001 km (K. Ohlmann, 2003 in Argentina, 14 hrs).

BTW I'm a VATSIM member, too, but only very occasianol online. I have also already considered bringing soaring to VATSIM world.

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter, thanks for your reply.

OK I need to make our senior people aware of this.

I would prefer to start with a simple flight round a course to start with, perhaps using BGA turn points.

I have successfully been able to programme the GPS-NAV with my own turn points so this is another option.

I would then hope to be able to organise more "adventurous" flights.

You would be most welcome to join our club to see what we do. It is

www.cixvfrclub.org.uk You would have to join in order to take part in the forum the same as any other club but of course it is FREE.

However we are a very busy club with a lively forum and have many events of which I do a lot of work for.

As I said earlier we are only in the early stages of setting up the gliding section within the club with the first event scheduled for the 27th August.

This why I am asking all these questions because I have to tell members about everything and where to find things.

I shall of course be telling them about this forum and WP's website and CCS2004 and CumulusX etc.

You would be very welcome to join and I certainly could do with some help organising gliding events and the passing on of your skills and knowledge to all the glider novices, would I am sure make a big contribution to ensuring the gliding section of the club becomes a huge success.

Unfortunately because I am having to learn everything before I pass it on at the moment it is a case of the blind leading the blind.

The club is well known and well respected within the VATSIM community and I for one am looking forward to seeing gliding become a more prominent aspect of VATSIM flying so please come along and give us your help.

Best regards

Richard