Slope Data base Tool and FSX

Hi all me again with some more questions while we ponder the FSX winch launch problem

I e mailed WP yesterday and await a reply.

Let me say straight off that in no way do I intend any disrespect to anyone but I am finding the instructions hard going.

CX instructions.

Under the heading "using the Slope Data base Tool for Generating the Slope Data Base" I have used the link to go to the CIAT website.

I have also used the link to go to the Google-Earth-based download tool for ARCASCII-elevation files from CIAT.

I have found what I believe to be the correct download srtm_36_2.

The SDB tool recognises this and imports it.

However I cannot get the SDB tool to use it in FSX.

Now I am assuming it is something I have done or more probably NOT done.

Please enlighten me.

Also there are a couple of slope files for the UK availble on Avsim for use in CCS2004.

I have got the instructions "Easy Way to Convert Slope .Dat files. but I cannot work out exactly how to use these in CX.

Again a simple explanation please.

And the last thing is I do not understand how you get the "picture" as in Aosta Valley with visulzation of slope data base"

Richard

I have found what I believe to be the correct download srtm_36_2.

The SDB tool recognises this and imports it.

However I cannot get the SDB tool to use it in FSX.

Now I am assuming it is something I have done or more probably NOT done.

Please enlighten me.

On the main CumulusX! window, do you have the Slope Data Base checked? Also, Make sure you have the right path to the slope files correct. You can do this by going to the Tools menu -> Configuration -> then enter the correct Slope Database Path if you haven't already done so.

Also there are a couple of slope files for the UK availble on Avsim for use in CCS2004.

I have got the instructions "Easy Way to Convert Slope .Dat files. but I cannot work out exactly how to use these in CX.

Again a simple explanation please.

The Slope Data Base Tool can convert them for you. After you have specified what folder you want the slope files to go to inside the CumulusX! configuration window, you can start the tool from the CumulusX! Tools menu or on it's own if that's what you want to do. Once inside the tool, goto File -> Import -> CCS2004-Dat-file.

And the last thing is I do not understand how you get the "picture" as in Aosta Valley with visulzation of slope data base"

If I understand the question right, inside the tool, enter the coordinates N or S in the left side space, and W or E at the bottom where provided.

sf4JC

Hi Richard,

first decide, where you would like to have your slope data base. This could be a subdirectory of your CumulusX! program directory, say:

...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\CumulusX!\Slope Data

or anything else, which can be written by the administrator of the FSX installation and read by all FSX users.

If your preferred directory does not exist yet, create it. I recommend to use a separate directory for the slope data base, because the number of files will get big, and you will have trouble to distinguish possible other content.

Then go to CumulusX! configuration pane and select the newly created directory as the slope data base. From now on, the slope data base tool will put the imported slope data into that directory.

If you like to analyze, what is in your current slope data base, then use the slope data base tool again, navigate to the location with the buttons or by typing in the coordinates with decimal fractions. Of course you will see the picture only in an area where data was added.

Plus is north and east, minus is south and west.

The Aosta picture is just for explanation. The associated data is not included because of copyright restrictions, but you can download it freely from CIAT and import it into the slope data base.

best regards,

Peter

Many thanks Peter, I will try again tomorrow.

MEANWHILE I may have cracked the FSX winch launch problem

I have managed to get 4 gliders airborne by this means, well A means.

I need to run some more tests and then I will post the results.

I will get back to CX ASAP.

I've got so many things on the go at the moment my head is spinning.

Who said gliding was easy.

Regards

Richard

Hello Peter, Slope Data path was all wrong.

Have set it as you described and all is now working and it is recognised by CX.

However I still cannot get the "Picture" to work.

What is it that I have to download from CIAT.????

NB when I enter CIAT I get the Charted Institute of Architechtural Technologists Is this right.

I don't have a problem going via Google Earth but if the above is correct where do I navigate to??

Sorry to be a pain.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

there is a link in the doc and in the readme which points you to the correct url.

Don't be surprised to land on the International Centre for Tropical Agriculture.

Easiest, open this URL:

http://www.ambiotek.com/topoview

which provides you with a google earth interface to the database. If you click on the SRTM Data labels then another window opens which offers you the SRTM data files. Be sure to select the ARCASCII format files, because Geotiff is not supported by the tool.

best regards,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...