AlbertLeaMN 'FunFly & Contest' May-31-08

sf4JC

post-9562-1213811268_thumb.jpg

Well, I think I've got enough information now to at least announce the event. There are still some issues that may need to be addressed so that everyone knows what to expect. This event will hopefully be just one of several this summer, this one being a kind of "dressed rehearsal" for the rest if everything goes well and I can work out the kinks.

So, the event will be for both FS2004 & FSX and held at Albert Lea, MN USA on May 31, 2008. A person can come anytime during the day, with thermals between the hours of 10:30AM to 5:30PM local time (GMT-6:00 Central Time). There will be recognition for the individual times for the contest (50.2km course with times ranging from possibly 25-55minutes expected, depending on the time of day. It will be also dependant upon aircraft type.) There will also be an overall winner for the most time in the air, both consecutive and not. If you can take any screenshots, feel free to post them here, there may be a winner for that too.

For those wanting to just freefly, you can do this all day, but please keep track of possible race contestants so as to not get in their way.

You will need to go to http://sf4jc.spaces.live.com/default.aspx in the FS2004 & FSX files section at the bottom left side of the page, and DOWNLOAD 'AlbertLeaMN FunFly May-31-2008'.

I failed to mention that a contestant needs to save his/her flight as an .IGC file with the FSZwever Viewer program for me to determine their race times and such. ALSO, you need to be at or below 2000' AGL (about 3200') at the starting gate.

If you find any problems while practicing or flying, please let me know, to see if it can be corrected.

Have FUN,

Scott

EDIT. FS2004 users GOTO my FSHost server (SOAR! - FS2004/FSX - FunFly) at address 12.227.195.226 port 23456 (session name "SOAR! FunFly May 31, 2008"). FSX users will need FSHostClient (http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/fshostclient.html) to connect to the session.

FSHost occassionally disconnects it's players without warning, so if this happens, please try back.

post-1499-1211331797.jpg

Just wanted to mention, if you have an aircraft other than Wolfgang's and default, post where you got it so others can download it and see that aircraft in the air, and maybe even try it themselves.

Another note, any unpowered glider can be used in the contest, even a hangglider if you will, though I'm unsure of how it would do. You can run the contest as many times as you want.

Also, I'm trying to run the server time and date at current Albert Lea, MN time (GMT-6:00) throughout the day and set to May 31st, 2008, but at or around 5:30-6:00PM, I'm changing it back 6 hours (to around 11:30AM-12:00PM so others have a chance to practice if they want to. REMEMBER, if you are an FSX user, you will have to adjust your time accordingly, because FSHost doesn't send it's current time to FSX users, just weather info.

Just remember that on the funfly/contest date, 05/31/2008, times will be current Albert Lea, MN time all day long. I will try to be available all day via TEAMSPEAK.

***TEAMSPEAK is available @ 3n1 Racing (SOAR!) address 12.227.195.226:8769

There will also be a MAX of 25 users and 4 observers at one time unless otherwise stated, so keep trying if it for some reason full.

sf4JC (Scott)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

was nice flying yesterday (evening for me). It seems your server is running GMT -5:00, which btw. is the same as FSX suggests for the location, and may be correct.

Yet it took me a while, to make myself sure, that I had set up everything correctly, in particular with sim time and date. At the end of the day, I became aware, that actually with script-thermals, I didn't had to bother at all, since all seasonal effects are not in effect there, so the only important figure is the local time.

Afterwards, I got the idea, that the hop-list feature maybe used for cross-country races, starting at a given place and directing you across all the country, until you return either, or end at a far-away destination. If there is a chance to log flying time and disallow slewing and/or pausing, then we have actually a very simple competition engine available. As I briefly read from the manual, there is also a feature to revert to an already flown previous hop, which could be used to recover from land-out situations.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the feedback Peter, as far as the time is concerned, I believe I was running correct current time in Albert Lea, MN. But I do remember that in FS2004 when I tranfered location from Waterloo, Ia to Albert Lea, MN the time wouldn't be the same, and they're both in the same time zone. But I never noticed it over in FSX.

The hoplist/cross-country race idea is a good one maybe, I would have to read into it more.

Scott

Just wanted to add, that I will try to post some statistics about the event before the weekend hopefully. A THANKS goes out for those that did attend. I was unable to stay near my computer most of the day and monitor the event due to some unwanted happenings, so I hope everything went well otherwise. I did find out though, that there was a problem with my TeamSpeak Server, so thanks to Peter for pointing that out. I haven't a clue as to how to fix this, and this is a must for multiplayer, cause I for one do not like to type in my chat messages while flying, or a task for that matter.

If anyone has any suggestions for a next event, I'm all "ears". I was originally thinking of keeping them thermal events, since everybody may not have the slope files needed for a specific area.

sf4JC

Welp, I've got some results, but not done yet. There were a total of only 5 pilots. The most flying at one time was 3. I forgot to post where to put an individuals IGC file if they had one, so that didn't get done. Preliminary results might show me as the winner of the contest course at 50min13sec. I originally got a time of 35min53sec, but I think I had stronger wind at the time.

Aircraft flown throughout the day were...

Schweizer 2-32 Sailplane

Stemme S10 Motorglider

Flight1_Cessna_152 1

DG808S

Schleicher ASW-28 (LX/N6LX) fs9 0.0

Schleicher ASG 29-18 MOTOR GLIDER

Duo Discus X Front #3n1

sf4JC

Welp, I've got some results, but not done yet. There were a total of only 5 pilots. The most flying at one time was 3. I forgot to post where to put an individuals IGC file if they had one, so that didn't get done. Preliminary results might show me as the winner of the contest course at 50min13sec. I originally got a time of 35min53sec, but I think I had stronger wind at the time.

Aircraft flown throughout the day were...

Schweizer 2-32 Sailplane

Stemme S10 Motorglider

Flight1_Cessna_152 1

DG808S

Schleicher ASW-28 (LX/N6LX) fs9 0.0

Schleicher ASG 29-18 MOTOR GLIDER

Duo Discus X Front #3n1

sf4JC

Hi Scott,

sad to hear this news. Perhaps we should advertise any further event (if you still got the mood and energy for a second one) longer and on more web sites/boards...

I promise to try to participate next time.

:cheers2: Dirk

Hey Dirk, I regret to say, I haven't even started back on trying to put a funfly/contest together. My original thoughts and what I was trying to research at the time, was still just trying to pick a thermal soaring area with scenery that was as good or better than the Albert Lea area. I had been trying also to keep with real contest locations, so it would maybe mean more to a person joining the event. Add to that, I really want to make it possible for both FS2004 and FSX users to join in.

As far as real life endeavors, right now, the severe storms and flooding that has been going on in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls, IA area where I live may be subsiding until another round comes in early next week. Only one bridge out of I think five or six had been open to traffic, making getting around the city unbearable. And now, there's also a scare that the sewer might start backing up. This year has already been a little more character building than others. We also find out Sunday what the congregation does about paying their employees. It doesn't look good, but it's not as bad as 13% cut in pay right away. Something was suggested 5% come January, and then another 5% the next year. But I honestly don't see the school making it that long. My wife had an interview for a good teaching job in South Dakota Wednesday. It sounded welcoming.

Anyway, I haven't had time to pursue putting together another event. At this time, the only thing I have to offer is my FSHost server, and room on my web site to put any files that a person may need to participate. I haven't been too dependable with starting my FSHost servers, in fact, it feels like it's been over a week since I've opened them up, I'll have to remember in the morning if I can.

I really wanted badly to have an event lined up for the end of the month, but I don't even have any screenshots to use for another events publicity. It took me a good one or two days time to get the last one together to my liking. If you have an area picked out, I could try to put it into motion. I think I may have a little help that may be available from a new person on this board, I'll have to look back to get his screen name, it was dutchman something I think.

sf4JC

EDIT: flyingdutchman, if you read this, In what way can you help me with the TeamSpeak server? Off the top of my head I don't even remember what I was trying to do to alleviate the problem that was found.