Where do all the clouds go?

linklemming

Recently started playing around with CumulusX and must say I love it.

I am just your average Joe as far as soaring (dont do it in real life) although I did complete 10 hours of training 20 years ago.

I have followed the procedure of starting on a runway and then starting cumulusX, when I return to flight Sim X, I see the new clouds show up and off I go.

It seems like after a while ALL the cumulus X clouds disappear...sometimes for along time (like 20 minutes) and just about when I am about to land, they reappear (not always though).

Is there something I am missing in setup, attached is a screenshot of CumulusX, I think at the time I was having these problems I had the minimal thermal time set at 20min.

Also, any suggestions for parameters in CumulusX and Flight Sim X for what I am trying to do:

I am just flying around the Denver area, usually starting at Jeffco or Boulder Municipal (5300 ft), sometimes I like to fly around the rockies (some peaks reaching 14k). Still working on params so I dont enter clouds when I want to clear a 14k peak, but not totally sure what params I need to change. At this point, I am just playing around so I dont need the ultimate in realism.

Gary

post-1606-1210112324.jpeg

Well, I might have answered my own question. I set up Flight Sim X weather to clear and Setup CulusX to Unblue and I dont seem to have this problem. I guess this was some kind on interaction with the local weather. Will have to read documentation more.

Gary

Peter will probably post something here, but I think your situation was based purely on the algorithm added to CumulusX! to have the conditions go to 'blue' i.e. the thermals are still there but the clouds aren't. I find it better to fly with the 'UnBlue' setting checked as the clouds have less of a habit of appearing/disappearing in an unrealistic way.

Ian

Indeed, the cloud appearance is controlled by the FSX weather conditions, at the user's position. It is going faster as realisitc sometimes. By now, this is a contribution to the multiplayer facilitation, to make sure that thermal conditions of participants, coming from different weather regions, will converge in due time, when they meet.

On the other side, controlling thermal appearance based on the weather conditions at the thermal's position would require roughly 200 times more requests for weather data from FSX than now, which could easily clog the simconnect interface.

regards,

Peter

• 4 weeks later...