Terrain Mesh, WOW!

sf4JC

Since I haven't been able to fly much lately, I made my main computer do some work for a change yesterday and downloaded some various freeware terrain mesh. What a difference there is between the default mesh and the mesh I got. I've got to say, if anyone is using the default mesh for the Mt Cook area, you're missing the top 2,000ft. I thought that I remembered it different in FS2004. I'm using some freeware terrain mesh from Simviation and it's awsome the difference it makes.

Makes it much more pleasing to the eye as well. I'm going to have to relearn my way back up to the top, but much more enjoyable possibly.

sf4JC

Since I haven't been able to fly much lately, I made my main computer do some work for a change yesterday and downloaded some various freeware terrain mesh. What a difference there is between the default mesh and the mesh I got. I've got to say, if anyone is using the default mesh for the Mt Cook area, you're missing the top 2,000ft. I thought that I remembered it different in FS2004. I'm using some freeware terrain mesh from Simviation and it's awsome the difference it makes.

Makes it much more pleasing to the eye as well. I'm going to have to relearn my way back up to the top, but much more enjoyable possibly.

sf4JC

Hi Scott,

I can imagine what you mean.

I've bought myself FsGlobal X (or 2008) some time ago. That did hit me like a rock, as I've encountered a 76m-Mesh instead of the 612m-Default in South Africa at my first test-flights with FsGlobal... I was more than impressed. Those default meshes of 612m for "rest of the world" are disappointingly flat, once you're used to fly with addon meshes.

:cheers2: Dirk.

• 2 weeks later...
does fsglobal x make any difference to the European or USA default mesh in FSX ?

thanks... Ian

Sorry Ian... I somehow missed that question. Please be assured that it's nothing personal :winks:

Following is a table comparing some regions and the rest of the world. I've found that on the internet somewhere.

In the meantime there is an alternative called FsGenesis. Perhaps that could be option for you, if you're planning to buy a world-mesh. I haven't tried it, as I use FsGlobal but I added the corresponding Data.

Region FSX original FsGlobal FsGenesis

Mexico resolution 612m 76m 38m

Canada resolution 76m 76m 19m

US Mainland 38m 38m 10m

US Alaska 38m 38m 38m

US Hawaii 38m 38m 10m

Europe 76m 76m 76m

Alps 76m 19m 19m

Japan 76m 76m 76m

rest of world 612m 76m 76m

Hope this helps.

:cheers2:

Dirk

Region FSX      original      FsGlobal      FsGenesis
Mexico resolution  612m        76m             38m
Canada resolution  76m         76m             19m
US Mainland        38m         38m             10m
US Alaska          38m         38m             38m
US Hawaii          38m         38m             10m
Europe             76m         76m             76m
Alps               76m         19m             19m
Japan              76m         76m             76m
rest of world     612m         76m             76m

Cool - just the info we need. For the USA and the Alps, FsGenesis appears to be be top pick.

Ian

FS Genesis is increasing the vertical resolution of its Ver. 2 US Mainland mesh to .25 M.

"Version 2 Features . . .

The most prominent feature of version 2 is the addressing of the plateaus on which many airports are sitting in version 1. This plateau effect is not caused by the terrain mesh, per se, but by the flat-airport limitation of FSX. However, FSGenesis has developed a reasonably satisfactory proprietary method to deal with this issue globally without having to fix many thousands of individual airports manually.Additionally, vertical resolution has been increased from 1 meter in v. 1 to .25 meter in v. 2, which will create a more pleasing display of terrain elevations while eliminating any terracing effects seen in version 1. "

I can not imagine anyone flying FS9 or FSX with default mesh. I use FS Genesis mesh and the improvement over the default mesh is mind boggling!!

Don

FS Genesis is increasing the vertical resolution of its Ver. 2 US Mainland mesh to .25 M.

"Version 2 Features . . .

The most prominent feature of version 2 is the addressing of the plateaus on which many airports are sitting in version 1. This plateau effect is not caused by the terrain mesh, per se, but by the flat-airport limitation of FSX. However, FSGenesis has developed a reasonably satisfactory proprietary method to deal with this issue globally without having to fix many thousands of individual airports manually.Additionally, vertical resolution has been increased from 1 meter in v. 1 to .25 meter in v. 2, which will create a more pleasing display of terrain elevations while eliminating any terracing effects seen in version 1. "

I can not imagine anyone flying FS9 or FSX with default mesh. I use FS Genesis mesh and the improvement over the default mesh is mind boggling!!

Don

Thanks for the infos Don.

Seems as if FsGenesis really is the tool to pick, if one considers to buy a payware mesh.

But still... I can imagine some guys flying with default mesh... as long as they stay in western Europe or the USA (perhaps except Alaska)... AND they never saw how awesome it could be... :yahoo:

:cheers2: Dirk.