New Header On SOAR Home Page

Don Hamilton

The current screenshot header on the SOAR home page is of a Kirby Kite at Sutton Bank. The screenshot is by John Kenny. The glider model was also made by John using FSDS. The scenery is by VFR Photographic Scenery.

Nice work John. It is great to have an FSX aircraft designer on the SOAR forums.

Don

Is there anywhere we can download the Kite? Has it been released? Is in FSX only or will it be FS9 compatiable?. Be great to have another Slingsby design to join Rick Piper's T21B.

Gave Dave Rowberry the site address so hope he'll pop by - he's producing some really great models on the lighter side of things as well.

Remeber Aerosoft also has a Discus in the works including the turbo and self launch models (there where a few made by Binder called the Discus BM. But don't think Aerosoft have include the Discus K -which was a one off acro version -with shortened wings).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Don, I'm wondering as well, not for this particular model, but for others he may have. Does John have a web page, or somewhere he may have files/aircraft for download?

sf4JC

Hey Don, I'm wondering as well, not for this particular model, but for others he may have. Does John have a web page, or somewhere he may have files/aircraft for download?

sf4JC

If he does I am not aware of it.

Sorry,

Don

Okay. Thanks Don. Do you know if he frequents this board, or any other board for that matter? And possibly if you know, under what name does he go by online?

sf4JC

Be nice if my questions got answered Don, or is it all top secret? (I'm assuming since you posted the screenshot and you made the comment 'nice work' you must know something about the Kite?

Be nice if my questions got answered Don, or is it all top secret? (I'm assuming since you posted the screenshot and you made the comment 'nice work' you must know something about the Kite?

Actually I have been waiting and hoping John would respond on this forum. John sent me the screenshots via e mail. Fortunately I saved the files to another hard drive on my wife's computer because my beloved old computer crashed and suffered fatal death. All my e mail including addresses were lost when we attempted to export them to another computer. We were working with "Incridimail" which won't let you simply copy files. As a result of this disaster I don't have any way to contact John.

Well, I stand corrected. Karen just found an e-mail addy for him and sent him a note to please respond to the SOAR board. I don't have any information about him or his sailplane(s).

Don

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone. I am delighted to say I have found John Kenny and he is very happy to share his Kite and other glider models with this community.

Firstly, although I don't fly at the moment because my computer is not up to FS8/9/10 specs, I still keep in touch with the virtual soaring movement. I found this thread and immediately wanted to buy a new computer and get John's Kite all fired up.

I knew a John Kenny 40 years ago when he was an Instructor at the Cornish Gliding Club at Perranporth in Cornwall, but he left us for the Isle of Wight and we had not met or spoken since. Could "our John" be one and the same I knew all those years ago? I knew John had been an very active Instructor and pilot at his new Gliding Club, and so a few weeks ago I emailed them and asked if they could put me in touch with John in the hope that he might be our Kite developer.

And here is his reply:

"... I sent a picture of the Kite model to SOAR as a header and later sent some files for the model on FS9 but didnt get a reply and thought that they were too grotty to be of any use. This may well be the case as I'm pretty computer illiterate and my models are poor compared to most. I have not yet discovered how to make virtual cockpit instruments show - among other things.

Attached are files for a pre-war Kite 1 which will show up on FS9 as "Unspecified" and another version which represents the " modernised " Kite that I used to fly at Perran up to about 1964 which should show up as Slingsby, Blue Kite on FS. Also enclosed are a Slingsby Tutor which is meant to be the one on which I soloed at Perran in 1959 and a Schempp Hirth SHK which I flew at Bembridge and in France for many years.

I have just changed computers and am unable to get the Max Roodefeld varios to show up on the instrument panels, I think that I probably have the wrong version of FSPUIC installed. To get the Cosim varios in the Kites and Tutor to show up you may need to install Wolfgang Piper's Minimoa on your FS9 to get the Cosim vario in your guages file. You are very welcome alter the files in any way you wish and let me know how you get on. If I can get this new computer to behave I may be able to improve them a bit too."

Yrs

John Kenny

How about that for intuition? Many thanks John!

I am so frustrated that I can't test John's models myself, but I have put links to the files down below and hope you folks enjoy them:

Blue_Kite

Kite_036

SHK_033

Tutor_005

EDITED by Don: I have deleted the links to the above aircraft because of copywrite issues with the use of certain gauge files in one or all of the aircraft. SOAR cannot post aircraft or links that contain original coding without the author obtaining permission from the orginal creator and acknowledging the original creator in an enclose readme with each aircraft. If and when John Kenny obtains this permission SOAR will be happy to provide a link and/or actual download to said aircraft.

Phil

THANKS Phil, I'm downloading the SHK as I write, at 2-3.5KB/s. Good thing for me it's only 5-6MB. I don't always get to use the internet.

AND Thanks for your time in tracking him down.

Scott

• 1 month later...
THANKS Phil, I'm downloading the SHK as I write, at 2-3.5KB/s. Good thing for me it's only 5-6MB. I don't always get to use the internet.

AND Thanks for your time in tracking him down.

Scott

Thank you! How did you get on with them? I am not able to fly FS at the moment. I flew (RL) Skylarks, Swallow, T31, T21 etc, but always wanted to fly the early Slingsby types, like the Kite aqnd never did. I am saving up for a capable machine.

Phil

Scott,

I just accidently deleted your last post. :smashfreak: Could you please repost it?

Sorry, :sorry3:

Don

I went to my e-mail in inbox and your message was saved there. Thank goodness. Anyway here it is:

Scott wrote,

Phil, they show up in FS2004 and FSX, but with no panel instruments. There may also be some question at the moment to copyright or permission to post the aircraft. I'm going to dig a little deeper into the single aircraft that I finally got to get downloaded. I remembered seeing it somewhere before. For now though, I think it's fine that you have the links to these aircraft, but you may have your post edited if the aircraft are found to be pirated in one form or another or in the slightest way. I am going to refer the download to Wolfgang to see if John had gotten permission to post the models as is. I question the permission of posting the model, because there is no ReadMe file present in the download. And in so doing, he did not say anything about an instrument used in this model that came from the asw15 I believe.

Anyway Wolfgang is being notified about this, and without downloading the others, I'm unsure of the original authors of those models to see if they need to be questioned. I hope John didn't do a no no by posting these models without permission, cause I would be surprised to see any major reasons an author wouldn't want to see a model continue on into another version of the sim if possible and if it was being presented well. There can be personal reasons of coarse though, just depends on the author I would think.

Scott

Scott,

I just accidently deleted your last post. :smashfreak: Could you please repost it?

Sorry, :sorry3:

Don

Cannot remember totally what was in my post, but it questioned the authenticity of the models. I downloaded the SHK_33, and found a gauge within it's gauge folder from Wolfgang's ASW15. There was no ReadMe in the download, so there was no thanks given if it is Wolfgang's original gauge. I have emailed him about it to alert him if there is any wrong doing involved.

Anyway, the model looked okay from the outside, within both FS2004 and FSX, but without a good panel and instruments the cockpit felt in very bad condition. It was mentioned in one of the posts in this thread that one needed to have the Minimoa installed for one of the gauges to work, so I guess I'll have to look and see if I do have all of Wolfgang's aircraft installed or not. I know I do in FSX, but unsure about FS2004.

Scott

Well Don, at the moment I'm unsure as to what the correct direction to take as far as leaving the links on Phil's post. Wolfgang said that, indeed the gauges in question on the SHK_033 were by Wolfgang and Max Roodveldt and used without permission. I don't know what everybody else thinks, but I think it would be to SOAR's good reputation to maybe erase those links in respect to those wronged by the supposed author. Or at least erase the SHK_033 link, I'm not sure as to the authenticity of the others.

What does everybody think or know of such wrong doing?

Scott

Basically I second that, but if possible one should give the author of the blamed package a chance.

If not possible, I would say that SOAR should not support undecent behaviour by publishing or linking inappropriately used material.

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, I agree that a person should be given a chance to redeem themselves, though in this instance we are going through third parties to get information from him. Phil, can you give us the information needed to contact him, and have one of us try to contact him about the wrong doing in the SHK_033 file. Yes, and be very careful as to not create an overly defensive reply, to keep relations going unless he declines relations or we feel foolishness going on and we can do nothing more about it. I don't see anything wrong with at least erasing the SHK_033 link, since we know there is wrong doing there, and he should be able to accept that if he is a man of integrity and good intentions. A person should be open to correction if need be, but still have an open forum to discuss what may be opinions instead of fact.

So Please John if you're listening, Please redeem yourself if need be, or just state your case. We all possibly might like to see different models from time to time, but if done in the wrong way, it does the community no good to recieve them.

I hope my heart is being guided and lead in the right direction through this discusion and process, but I have to ask the community that if I am going overboard (or have fallen overboard), PLEASE correct me if and when I do wrong so as to remain TRUE. Because, to live a life of foolishness, is to really have no true life at all.

Scott

Thanks Don, and thanks also for the explanation given in that post. I believe it to be well explained and should with any reasonable character be taken well. Again, I hope John can explain things if not understood, cause I know we will give him a floor to speak on when he does.

Scott (sf4JC)

Hi folks!

Well, it looks as if we were a bit too quick with the links to Johns models, all my fault I am afraid, good intentioned and just too enthusiastic. I am sure John never really intended to publish them nor benefit in any way. I encouraged him in response to enthusiasm for the Kite particularly in this thread.

Apologies to the owners of the copyright. The files are no longer available.

Phil H