Need a recap on Vista/FSX!

I recently had my computer quit working, so ended up with a new system (I'm eternally greatful for my loving wife). So my question is, What are the basics of getting FSX installed on Windows Vista without any troubles? Seems to me there was something about the user rights, or main user rights, or something along that line I think.

Also, a question about the old hard drive. Is it possible to install the old hard drive on the new Gateway computer? I remember about 5-6 years ago I installed an old hard drive from a Windows95 computer to a Windows98 computer, but I had to reformat the hard drive first. I just used the old hard drive for extra storage space. My problem is, I need information (Lots of Information) from the old computer hard drive. Am I going to have to have to go to a local computer store to have them retreave the info for me?

sf4JC

As far as I can remember I had no problems with installing FSX on my new vista-machine in may-2007. However there are some addons (for example the caiset) that require that you run FSX in administrator mode.

How: Right-click on the exe or the desktop-icon, go to properties->compatibility and check the checkbox that says something like "run this program as administrator" (I have a Dutch version of Vista, so I don't know the exact words in your version).

You harddisk-issue: don't know, never done that

Bert

Thanks Bert. I haven't gotten a chance to load all the aircraft into FSX yet, I've just been messing with the graphics and don't see much difference so far. I must be doing something wrong maybe, I went from a single core WindowsXP computer to a quad-core Vista with more RAM even, and I was told there would be a considerable difference. I need to go back and do a Google search and find some answers I guess. From what I remember from SP1, there was a definite difference in performance back then. What I did this time as far as installation goes is...

(1) Install FSX

(2) Install Acceleration/SP1/SP2 (From what I get from the directions, the installation makes sure SP1 is installed or it installs it itself)

So maybe what I should be doing is after installing FSX, install SP1 and then install Acceleration/SP2.

And as far as the old hard drive, I did some research and found that all I had to do is install it. And sure enough :AA: , the new computer recognizes everything on it so I do not have to save everything since it's already there. All I have to do is move CumulusX! and other programs, and some aircraft over to the new installation. I'll hopefully be up and running in no time.

sf4JC

I'm still getting the same FPS, even with all 4 cores working. But I did find out something while searching for an answer. I can almost get double the FPS when not in windowed mode, so that's good if I can do that and get used to it switching back and forth. So now my question is, Can I run CumulusX! and Sim_Probe when not in windowed mode?

sf4JC

Can I run CumulusX! and Sim_Probe when not in windowed mode?

yes definitely. I only run in windowed mode when I'm debugging and want to see the sim_probe/cumulusx windows, otherwise you're much better off full screen. If you have cumulusx and simprobe in exe.xml and have cumulusx in autostart mode, you need never refer to the windows. FYI I *think* the CumulusX! *debug* window has a noticeable framerate impact on my system (Acceleration/XP SP2), so only open that if you need it.

Ian

I also get better framerates in full screen mode (unwindowed) and only run FSX in windowed mode when I want to see the debug screens of CSX! and/or Simprobe.

Bert

Thanks guys. I still haven't tried controlling the tow plane yet, so I'm still just experimenting with graphic changes between graphics card and FSX to get the best FPS. Then I'll see what happens when switching between windowed and full screen mode after releasing from tow. There's quite a pause right now between window changes. Also, I switched back to the graphics card that came with the computer (ATI Radeon HD2400 XT-256MB {DX10 compatible}) which runs slightly slower than my Visiontek Radeon X1300_512MB {only DX9 compatible} card, so I think I'll go ahead and put that back in. Not sure if it's going to affect Vista's apperances though.

sf4JC

This may be a stupid question, but I've got to ask it to at least remove one variable that I'm questioning. Do different monitors have any variance on the amount of FPS you get? I have the in game settings set to the same resolution as I've always run in FSX with a different monitor though. I noticed the monitor doesn't have the same resolutions as the old one, in fact, the old one gives more resolution choices to have.

sf4JC