New to CumulusX! - having trouble.....

btosoaring

Hello,

I am new to CumulusX!, and I seem to be having a bit of trouble. I really like flying sailplanes in FSX, but I wanted to try CumulusX! to make things a bit more realistic.

I am launching a flight in a window, and when I am sitting on the runway, I navigate a file browser to the Modules\CumulusX!\ directory and click on the CumulusX! application file. When I do that, I get the dreaded error report window that says "CumulusX! 0.81 beta has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I am not able to get any more information about what is causing the error.

Am I doing things correctly? Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Regards,

Brian

Hello Brian and welcome to our community.

First make sure that you have FSX SP2 correctly installed. In addition, you will need DOTNET 2.0. Errors in this will produce this message. A link to DOTNET is included in the readme and documentation.

Then you may navigate to the CumulusX! thread in this forum, where at the end there is new version 0.911 which among other things eliminates a problem that has occured with WinXP 64.

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your note! I did have .Net 2.0 installed, but tried to reinstall it to see if there was a problem. I still seem to be getting the same error message though.

Do you have any other ideas on what might be happening? This is is just a 32bit machine running Windows XP SP2.

Thanks,

Brian

Only that FSX SP2 might not be properly installed, which happened at another user in a similar way with FSX SP1.

There is also some info about interference of firewalls, not in particular with CumulusX!, but with SimConnect in general. I personally use XP firewall and never experienced any problems.

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

I re-installed SP2 with the latest version, and CumulusX seems to be working now!

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Brian

Great to hear you got it working Brian.

sf4JC

• 1 month later...

Hmm, having a bit of trouble getting Cumulus X to install. I just got a new computer, so no previous versions are on it. I downloaded latest version, made backup of panel.cfg and airobjectsvisuals.xml

I then extracted the zip into the base FSX folder - it did not create a folder called "modules" nor a subfolder. I already have a "Modules" folder created by FSUIPC, but it did not put a subfolder in it. Instead it extracted 4 files: readme.txt, CumulusX.exe, CumulusX.pdb, and CumulusX.xml directly into the root folder of FSX. Nor did it change either of the 2 files that I had made a backup of.

Reading in your readme, the extraction did not match the description of what it should have done so I checked the zip file - it only contained those 4 files. Am I missing something here??? Do I need an ealier release installed??

HI Don,

you was away for a while? Actually, the latest files on the boards are merely partial updates in an experimentary phase in between. Get yourself the full beta release 0.9.2 from my homepage and then put the files from most recent reasonable version (which is 0.9.4.1) in the modules folder and let them replace those from the "full beta" release. The documentation still refers to 0.9.2, however.

best regards,

Peter

HI Don,

you was away for a while? Actually, the latest files on the boards are merely partial updates in an experimentary phase in between. Get yourself the full beta release 0.9.2 from my homepage and then put the files from most recent reasonable version (which is 0.9.4.1) in the modules folder and let them replace those from the "full beta" release. The documentation still refers to 0.9.2, however.

best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I downloaded CumulusX 0.9.2 from your web site and installed it. I then installed update 0.9.4.1. as instructed. Should it show inside the flight sim in the header under "addons" along with FSUIPC? It does not in mine.

I must be doing something stupid. :urmm:

Don

post-461-1203628123.jpg

post-461-1203628153.jpg

Hi Don,

what was the last version you tried succesfully? Since 0.8 you need FSX SP2.

best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have FSX SP2 installed and it is on a brand new computer. Last successful install was one of your earliest versions on another computer which has died.

Don

Don, Peter,

refering to my documentations, the event CLR20R3 you get, Don, is equal to "FILE NOT FOUND". Whatever file Peter included in his code (or better refered to in his code) could cause this event.

Perhaps this information helps. If not, let me know. We'll find a way to analyse, what file is missing.

BTW: I think "yes", Peter meant the .NET Framework 2.0 runtime environment, that you state to have installed.

:cheers2:

Dirk.

Hm, there is no file which is loaded initially.

Does the version 0.9.2 from the full release run properly?

regards,

Peter

No, 0.9.2 does not run either. I get the same error message. Your instructions says that 0.9.2 will create a modules folder named "modules" with all lower case letters. When I install 0.9.2 FSUIPC creates a "Modules" with an upper case "M". Could this be a problem.

Does 0.9.2 create any registry entries when it extracts to the FSX root folder?

Don

Okay, I got 0.9.2 and 0.9.4.1 to work. We were trying to extract the .zip files from another computer to my computer through our network and the registry items were not being entered in to the FSX root directory on my computer. Thus, CumumusX could not be found. We did not realize there were registry entries to deal with. Another learning curve influenced by "senior moments". :chairfall: :smashfreak: Next comes the Simprobe. :lolsign:

Don

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. When I open up FSX and start a flight, I double click on the CumulusX icon and nothing happens. I double click a second time and the box known as Fig. 2 pops up with "connect" grayed out and "Disable Lift" is red. The sim is in pause mode. The "Unconnected" box never shows. There are no clouds and I can not unpause the flight.

Now what?

Don

Hi Don,

the greyed box and the red lift button basically says that Cx! has connected to FSX, which it does if AutoConnect was selected. If you have moved a registry file from a previous computer, you may have moved this setting along. In this mode, Cx! starts in background, why you couldn't see it. The second brought it to the foreground, showing it already being connected and waiting for FSX' simulation to start.

Normally, if Cx! is missing its registry entries it creats a new one with standard values. If the settings are incomplete, the missing entries are added.

Cx! shows the red lift button when lift is enabled, but detent, because FSX is in paused, slew, or dialog mode. In this case, Cx! returns vertical control back to FSX and is just listening to events. The same is when you are in FSX' startup screen, trying to modify weather, looking to the map, etc. Pressing the lift button would only disable the lift entirely and turn the button "normal".

The only effects that Cx! issues in FSX is vertical control, the creation and removal of thermals, and the creation and removal of "water probes" (since 0.9.4). Cx! does not take over control of FSX, so pausing or unpausing FSX is absolutely not initiated or prohibited by Cx!. So you have to unpause in FSX anyway. Then the lift button should turn green.

Is FSX running ok otherwise?

best regards,

Peter

Hi Don,

the greyed box and the red lift button basically says that Cx! has connected to FSX, which it does if AutoConnect was selected. If you have moved a registry file from a previous computer, you may have moved this setting along. In this mode, Cx! starts in background, why you couldn't see it. The second brought it to the foreground, showing it already being connected and waiting for FSX' simulation to start.

Normally, if Cx! is missing its registry entries it creats a new one with standard values. If the settings are incomplete, the missing entries are added.

Cx! shows the red lift button when lift is enabled, but detent, because FSX is in paused, slew, or dialog mode. In this case, Cx! returns vertical control back to FSX and is just listening to events. The same is when you are in FSX' startup screen, trying to modify weather, looking to the map, etc. Pressing the lift button would only disable the lift entirely and turn the button "normal".

The only effects that Cx! issues in FSX is vertical control, the creation and removal of thermals, and the creation and removal of "water probes" (since 0.9.4). Cx! does not take over control of FSX, so pausing or unpausing FSX is absolutely not initiated or prohibited by Cx!. So you have to unpause in FSX anyway. Then the lift button should turn green.

Is FSX running ok otherwise?

best regards,

Peter

We have taken nothing off the old computer. Everything on the new computer is a fresh clean install. My question now is why can't I unpause the sim once I open CumulusX?

Don

BTW Do you have Yahoo Messenger?

why can't I unpause the sim once I open CumulusX?

Don, are you running FSX in windowed mode? If so are you sure you are clicking back on the title bar of FSX after looking at CumulusX! so you know for sure it is FSX that is receiving the keyboard input (i.e. the 'Pause' key)?

Something else to consider is to uncheck the FSX option setting "pause on task exit" or something like that - that will make switching between CumulusX! and FSX more convenient. It won't fix a major "FSX won't unpause" problem if that really exists, but might give you some clues.

Ian

Hi Ian,

We had major issues with all of FSX and had to uninstall it and install it again. We also had issues with .Net Framework and had to do a lot of removing of files and reinstalling there also. FSX is up and running again. Tomorrow I will install SP!, SP2 and CumulusX. Everything is going okay so far.

Cheers,

Don

Well, I turned out to have a huge mess. I have XP Media Edition and it had net framework 1.1 on it so when I put 2.0 on I removed the lower version - Big Mistake!! For some reason after installing CumulusX everything started going wrong in FSX - including translucent panels that I could see the scenery through! :beatcomputer:

Soooo, I took everything off, reinstalled net 1.1 and the updates and hotfixes (never uninstalled 2.0), then reinstalled FSX and everything was back to normal. I then put in FSUIPC and still everything is normal. I then put CumulusX back in. There was some problems:

1. I think the auto start being set to on as default is what is causing me to get the error where FSX is not finding Cumulus X. Anyway, I went into Windows Explorer and found the exe file I double clicked on it several times and it finally popped the configuration window open then I closed that window and the next time I double clicked it popped the little connected window open so I unchecked the auto start and now I can connect every time.

2. Now it is connected and CumulusX shows under the Addons and it appears to be working fine except there are no thermals. I double checked all the settings and they are as you suggested in the manual and the connect window shows green for auto thermals - but still no thermals! :cry2:

Now this is what is strange, before I renamed ThermalDescriptions.xml there were some thermal clouds mixed with the FSX clouds. I could tell the ones that were produced by CumulusX because they have a distinct look to them that is different from the clouds in FSX. I quit FSX, renamed ThermalDescriptions.xml - now there are no thermal clouds at all - either FSX or those produced by CumulusX! :???:

Hi Don,

renaming ThermalDiscriptions.xml effectively turns of FSX build thermal machine. Therefor the built-in thermals along with their visualisations disappear entirely.

Now it is connected and CumulusX shows under the Addons and it appears to be working fine except there are no thermals. I double checked all the settings and they are as you suggested in the manual and the connect window shows green for auto thermals - but still no thermals!
There can be several reasons:

1) When the sky condition is blue, or overcast cumulus, then Cx! doesn't produce clouds. Check the "UnBlue" option or switch to "Fair Weather Theme"

2) There are current weather conditions, that prevent thermals at all, like overcast stratus, or stratus below cumulus layers. Possibly the AutoThermal indicator does not reflect this. I'll check. Anyway, try Fair Weather as above.

3) Somehow the cloud model got lost after the re-install. To make this effective, the cloud model components have to go into the respective Addon Scenery subfolders ("Texture" and "Scenery"), the AirObjectVisuals.xml has to be replaced by that from the Cx! archive, and the "Addon Scenery" has to be activated within FSX.

before I renamed ThermalDescriptions.xml there were some thermal clouds mixed with the FSX clouds

Was this with the installation you are currently working with, or that on your previous machine?

best regards,

Peter