Input for Slope Data Base Tool

Peter Lürkens

Hi,

I found a source for high quality input data for the creation of slope files. This is the CIAT ( see citation below) which offers "SRTM 3" Version 3" digital elevation data and with a Google-kmz file an (halfway) easy to use interface to download the portion of elevation data you may need. A big improvement over NASA SRTM-files (version 2) is, that all holes are filled with reasonable data now.

Usage is free for non commercial and non-profit uses. I made a first test and created the picture below from my home area, the Eifel-region in germany. I'm going to integrate this as a new import option for creating the slope data base with the Slope Data Base Tool. It is required to inform the organisation about redistribution of derived data.

Void-filled seamless SRTM data V1, 2004, International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), available from the CGIAR-CSI SRTM 90m Database: http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org and http://www.ambiotek.com/topoview

There is a minor problem with the .kmz-file which tries to do some installation of Google--Earth, which fails. Simply download the kmz and open it in Google directly.

Happy New Year,

Peter

post-176-1199179876.jpg

Hey Peter, how does one convert a file (asc or tiff) into a dat file? I did a little searching into past forum entries, and didn't come up with anything useful, but I stopped searching after a while to look into other things.

sf4JC

Hi Scott,

there was none until now, because the folks having done this didn't made their tools public. However, I made some progress with the Slope Data Base Tool and it will convert ARCASCII files from CIAT and also .HGT files from NASA, the latter with some autmoatic hole filling, however the quality will always limited. You may try out the package in the attachment.

regards,

Peter

ViewSlopeDatabase.zip

Thanks Peter! As I was doing the search in the forums, I had come accross a thead that I was hoping would yield a tool, but it never did.

As far as the ARCASCII files from CIAT, they have both the main file and also a Mask file for each area that I've looked up. Do I need the Mask file, or am I right that the main file already has been fixed?

Thanks,

sf4JC

PS. By the way, THANKS for seeing the part about contacting them if I were to make a dat file public from the data collected from them. :embaressed: I must have been sleeping through that part, I could've gotten in some big trouble if making a dat produced by it public. :confused2:

Sorry forgot to include the readme.

Therein is a comment about the mask file, too. For Version 3 files the mask files just indicate if tha data is original or edited. In addition, there is still a no-data flag in the data file indicating if there is valid data or not. Actually, it shouldn't be there anymore in Version 3 files but I suspect, there are still some.

Well, I tried to find out something handy about geotiff, however, it seems to be far more complex then the other formats.

Maybe somebody else comes up with a converter from GeotTIFF to ARCASCII or HGT.

best regards,

Peter

readmeViewer.txt

Peter, the program works like a charm! I did all of Hawaii in less than 15 minutes. Really, all I was wanting was the area around Dillingham, HI but decided I'd do the whole thing in case there are flying area in different parts of Hawaii.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Peter,

Your version 0.3 worked with VISTA-32bit. I could import and view a .dat file. It didn't produce a .slo file though.

Version 0.4 gives me an error at startup. Something like: "Program doesn't work anymore. Close program?" It's an errorcall in Dutch, and a typical Vista-call that I sometimes get when a program get's stuck and has to be restarted. But in this case already at the startup of 0.4.

I know that you primarely develope for XP, but I thought you should know.

Bert

Your version 0.3 worked with VISTA-32bit. I could import and view a .dat file. It didn't produce a .slo file though.

Version 0.4 gives me an error at startup. Something like: "Program doesn't work anymore. Close program?" It's an errorcall in Dutch, and a typical Vista-call that I sometimes get when a program get's stuck and has to be restarted. But in this case already at the startup of 0.4.

The tool displays only what is in your slope data base. The result of the import is directly merged with the exisitng .slo-files. So if you could see what you expected as the content of the dat-file, the import was actually successful

With the second one, I have no clue. The error messages which I have provided are in Englisch all. Perhaps could you post a screen-shot of the error message? I'm a bit familiar with Dutch, too, at least I can read it.

best regards,

Peter

I don't think you can do anything with the message. It says (translated):

"

Slope Data Base Tool doesn't work anymore

There has occured a problem and the program doesn't work properly anymore. The program will be shut down and you will get a message when a solution is available.

"

And the option to close the program. That's it.

Hi Bert,

got a chance today to check it in Home Vista Premium (32). It worked ok, with and w/o CumulusX! registry key and from a restricted user account, directly from a memory stick.

I checked the content of the archive, too, and it is ok. The only idea I have is that there might have gone something wrong with your download. Perhaps you could try again.

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I re-downloaded and extracted the .zip and the .exe opened as it should.

But when I afterwards renamed the foldername in which .exe is in into "ViewSlopeData04" (which I also did yesterday), I got the same error as yesterday. I renamed the folder back to "ViewSlopeData" and the .exe started oke again.

I tried some other foldername and the error occurs with any other name than the original "ViewSlopeData".

So for now I just leave the foldername as it is.

Bert