FSX Missions sub-forum

B21

How about an "FSX Missions" sub-forum ? Presently with virtualsoaring.org you wouldn't know missions exist in FSX, and I'd argue there are many more pilots that have tried soaring in missions than any other approach - just for my Austrian Soaring missions there have been two thousand downloads.

We could just try a forum and see how it goes ...

Ian

That may be a good idea Don, it may provide more traffic to the site too. If it's not too much trouble, maybe we could try it for a trial period to see how it goes. The Missions idea really isn't too far fetched, a person really doesn't have to plant thermals and slope lift since CumulusX! has the slope lift and soon it sounds like thermals as well. So to make missions with the use of CumulusX!, a person would just have to have the right slope files installed. To make it simple, all the person would need to add to the mission is missionpoints/waypoints maybe. But with Ian's help and guidence if available, people with questions would only need just ask.

Ian, I tried out the Austrian Day2 race with the Duo Discus X and had to exit the mission early to get to a previous engagement. The time said about 50 minutes as I was passing the home airfield on the way to turnpoint 2. I'll see if I saved the mission ok to see if I can restart where I left off tomarrow. At first I had a hard time finding the slope lift, but as time passed, I was able to somewhat understand where to find it.

sf4JC

I tried out the Austrian Day2 race with the Duo Discus X

Ahah you switched the glider in the mission? Perhaps surprisingly I've never heard of anyone do that but I've thought about trying the same course in the ASH25 to see if it's actually faster - because the lift is strong it should be slower. By the time I created 'Day 4' I got around to creating a 'reward', and you don't get this if you check the box 'allow changes in mission'.

Day 2 is a straight ridge run with the the wind from the NE, so if you keep to the South side of the valley you'll be fine. The course of each task is put onto the same map here:

soaring missions page

CumulusX! is complementary to missions, providing the lift. The mission gives you the start/finish gates, waypoints and the timer, plus any scenery you want to add, and as the easiest thing to add are areas triggering actions it's easy to confirm waypoints are reached and put height limits around the course.

thanks,

Ian

I haven't kept up totally with what the difference is between the Acceleration functionality compaired to the SP2 free release. Does anyone know if multiplayer missions can now be joined without having Acceleration if you download SP2?

I thought I read somewhere that the aircraft functionality present in Acceleration was the only thing that wouldn't tranfer.

sf4JC