New Machine choice

Hello to All!

I am going to purchase a new Desktop in the next month, and want it to be capable of handling MS Flight Simulator (previously I had FS98 on an ageing machine)

I do NOT want a Vista system, as I have a LOT on (non FS) software that is very stable on XP SP2; with no reliable local build-up shops locally, I'm looking at Dell. FWIW, Dell has FEW machines shipping with XP; NOTHING with a speed greater that 3...

Current specs in the Wish List:

Inspiron 530 Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4600 (2MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,800 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs

Monitor 22 inch Samsung 2220WM Widescreen Analog/Digital Black LCD Monitor

Video Cards 256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600

XT Hard Drives 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Optical Drive 16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Under consideration is installing FS2004 instead of FS-X... (also, in searching for personally interesting non-OEM AC and scenery, there is prolly MORE for 2004 than X) Assuming here that the hardware needs of 2004 are LESS than for X, could this machine pull the load well? My AC will be gliders and "vintage" GA types; no Zoomies for ME, please!

What specific features are in X, but NOT in 2004??

Yours in Lift,

Norm

Fat Guy in a Bar, NO fear of Beer

First af all, WELCOME to SOAR!

My first reaction to if those specs would run FS2004 was, YOU BET! I'm no computer guy but those specs make me want to think FS2004 would really soar quite well, if not extremely well. And as far as freeware and payware addons, there's still a huge interest and upload rate at AVSIM for FS2004 stuff that makes me believe it will be around a while. If you have both sims, I believe I would install both if space was not a factor. Then again, I'm really satisfied with FSX on a system that is at least 2 1/2 years old. Some of my specs are...

2.19 GHz Athlon 3500+ (single core), 2GB RAM, 512MB ATI Radeon X1300 graphics card, on a WindowsXP SP2 system.

sf4JC

Hello to All!

I am going to purchase a new Desktop in the next month, and want it to be capable of handling MS Flight Simulator (previously I had FS98 on an ageing machine)

I do NOT want a Vista system, as I have a LOT on (non FS) software that is very stable on XP SP2; with no reliable local build-up shops locally, I'm looking at Dell. FWIW, Dell has FEW machines shipping with XP; NOTHING with a speed greater that 3...

Current specs in the Wish List:

Inspiron 530 Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4600 (2MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,800 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs

Monitor 22 inch Samsung 2220WM Widescreen Analog/Digital Black LCD Monitor

Video Cards 256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600

XT Hard Drives 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Optical Drive 16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Hi Norm,

my first thougts are:

Why d'you waste money for 4GB of RAM, while you do not even consider about using Vista? XP can NOT handle more than 3.2 GB!

Your Monitor will run on 1600x1050 pixels, won't it? So probably you'll get into an issue with those 265MB graphics RAM - you should update here, i think.

That's all for now... but I'll get into detail later.

Regards

Dirk.

• 3 weeks later...

Dirk, (and others)

Your point on RAM is well taken; here are the specs for a COMPLETELY different Dell machine... comments for how stout this is for FS2004 and/or FS_X:

XPS 720 Black Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs

Video Cards 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Hard Drive 500GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Norm

Hi Norm,

my first thougts are:

Why d'you waste money for 4GB of RAM, while you do not even consider about using Vista? XP can NOT handle more than 3.2 GB!

Your Monitor will run on 1600x1050 pixels, won't it? So probably you'll get into an issue with those 265MB graphics RAM - you should update here, i think.

That's all for now... but I'll get into detail later.

Regards

Dirk.

Hello and a big SORRY to you Norm,

I was quite busy last weeks.

Your system sounds very good to me. The 8800GT is what I bought myself today (waited for about six weeks for delivery now). With this system you'll be happy enough. FS2004 will run on all settings turned up to eleven and even FSX should show up on very high settings.

I'll set up my new rig tonight so - hopefully - I can tell you more tomorrow. My setting is just slightly different, therefore you may get an idea of what you can expect.

Dirk.

Dirk, (and others)

Your point on RAM is well taken; here are the specs for a COMPLETELY different Dell machine... comments for how stout this is for FS2004 and/or FS_X:

XPS 720 Black Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs

Video Cards 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Hard Drive 500GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Norm

[snip on older quotes]

Hi Norm,

here's the result:

My new Rig:

CPU Intel C2Q 6600 (G0 Stepping)

Mainboard ASUS P5K

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen (Hubraum ist eben durch nix zu ersetzen )

Case: Chieftec Mesh

2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM Corsair KIT with CL4

2x92mm Case Cooler with 12dB - Pabst

1x120mm Case Cooler

Power: 480W: HEC-480TD-PTX

Graphics: EVGA 8800GT SSC

HDD: Samsung 250GB

What I have done yet:

Vista 64 Ultimate installed

FSX installed

FSX:Acceleration installed

German Landmarks X installed

Helgoland X installed

Resolution set to 1680x1050 pixels

All Settings to Ultrahigh

Frame Rate set to Unlimited

Free Flight with following settings:

in Hannover (EDDV), Active Rwy, Nice Weather, Morning (RWY-Lights were ON), Cessna 172 (Standard)

-> 30-40 Frames in all views!

I'm happy with that.

I'll now be on a little business travel till next Friday (Dec, 21st) then I'll tell you more.

Greetings

Dirk.

Dirk,

No problem re the delay in post...

I DID get a BIG concession from Dell today... they will SHIP it with a combo of RAM to give me the full 3G that XP can handle... so I guessing that will give me even MORE umpf!

Per a tip from someone here (?), I'm going to see just how full I can run FS9, and of COURSE nab all the FS9 Planes and Scenery I want, BEFORE stepping up to FS-X...

BIG TIP for ANYONE dealing with Dell currently: they are REALLY dealing out the free quick shipping chits!!

Looks like I may have my FS Powerhouse by Christmas!!!

Norm

Yours in Lift!

Hello and a big SORRY to you Norm,

I was quite busy last weeks.

Your system sounds very good to me. The 8800GT is what I bought myself today (waited for about six weeks for delivery now). With this system you'll be happy enough. FS2004 will run on all settings turned up to eleven and even FSX should show up on very high settings.

I'll set up my new rig tonight so - hopefully - I can tell you more tomorrow. My setting is just slightly different, therefore you may get an idea of what you can expect.

Dirk.

(low, appreciative Whistle inserted here)

Dude, you did BETTER than a Dell! :respect:

If I had a reliable build-up Shop locally, I might have tried for more Hardware...

Your Frame Rate tells me you are going to have Hollywood quality animation!!

You seem to have really gone Full-Monty with cooling; I'm curious to see how hot my Dell runs!!

Norm

Sink Sucks!

Hi Norm,

here's the result:

My new Rig:

CPU Intel C2Q 6600 (G0 Stepping)

Mainboard ASUS P5K

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen (Hubraum ist eben durch nix zu ersetzen )

Case: Chieftec Mesh

2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM Corsair KIT with CL4

2x92mm Case Cooler with 12dB - Pabst

1x120mm Case Cooler

Power: 480W: HEC-480TD-PTX

Graphics: EVGA 8800GT SSC

HDD: Samsung 250GB

What I have done yet:

Vista 64 Ultimate installed

FSX installed

FSX:Acceleration installed

German Landmarks X installed

Helgoland X installed

Resolution set to 1680x1050 pixels

All Settings to Ultrahigh

Frame Rate set to Unlimited

Free Flight with following settings:

in Hannover (EDDV), Active Rwy, Nice Weather, Morning (RWY-Lights were ON), Cessna 172 (Standard)

-> 30-40 Frames in all views!

I'm happy with that.

I'll now be on a little business travel till next Friday (Dec, 21st) then I'll tell you more.

Greetings

Dirk.