How to use old events/contests in FSX.

This topic will hopefully help you run old events/contests in FSX. It was started in a different thread and will continue here. Here's what has been said so far....

Scott,

Can you also write a sticky-instruction on how to convenrt the 2002 tour the suisse files to fsx?

Bert

I'll see what I can do Bert. But for now, just place the two files with the same name (usually: one is a .WX file and the other is a Microsoft Flight Simulator Application file) inside the ...\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder. Then place the gps-nav.dat (may have the same name as the other two files, and if so, rename it "gps-nav") inside the main FSX folder, assuming you have all the files you need to run it already installed to FSX.

Then run FSX and load it from the FreeFlight Load option. Depending on which FS you downloaded from, you may have to change the weather. In this case, I chose real-world weather to get a real weather file, since I'm not a weather man, I don't know how to create a realistic one. I would say if you download an event/contest that was used in CCS2004, the weather should be ideal but I cannot say for sure.

sf4JC

I forgot to mention that after you hit 'Load', you will get an error message about a certain aircraft (whatever aircraft they were flying at the time) could not load. Then after you enter the flight, usually in pause mode, resave the flight with the aircraft you want to fly.

sf4JC

Thanks for the explaination, but am I right that I also have to make a flightplan to get my GPS and NAV-equipment to work? And do I use the tdsmap.jpg for that?

Bert

bruin, I'm going to start another thread for this topic so it doesn't clog up this thread.

sf4JC

bruin, yes you would have to make some sort of flight plan probably if you are not using the Max Roodveldt's CAISET instruments. I am unsure of how to go about doing this because I've never done a flight plan for a race before in FSX.

I use the CIASET to analyse my flight afterward in the 'FSZweverView 2' application. It can convert the flight file to something a contest scoring application can read. So if there is still a future with these instruments, we could run a race with points given instead of just time I think.

You need the appropriate instruments in your aircraft for the flight recorder to work. I believe all of Wolfgang Piper's aircraft for FS2004 have these instruments. I am using his FSX aircraft with modified panel for the instruments to work.

sf4JC

Bert,

you can find detailed instructions how to set arbitrary waypoints in the FSX GPS here:

http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forsterlewis/...im/fsx/dev/gps/

BTW, forsterlewis used to be an active member of the board until early this year. At last he was found as b21, presumably, at fsxmission.com

best regards,

Peter

Bert,

you can find detailed instructions how to set arbitrary waypoints in the FSX GPS here:

http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forsterlewis/...im/fsx/dev/gps/

BTW, forsterlewis used to be an active member of the board until early this year. At last he was found as b21, presumably, at fsxmission.com

best regards,

Peter

That's funny, I look at that site almost every day to see if the austria day4-mission is released yet. But never looked at the page you mentioned. :embaressed:

Bert