CumulusX!

Peter Lürkens

Yup, that's it. Was the condition actually blue at that time? If so, then nothing is wrong. I wil check with the weather slider on high, too. Usually, I have at minimum, which is not exactly zero, I think.

At the end it might be a problem of my poor documentation.

Oke, I flew over Holland, under the same cumulus conditions as described before and no wind for a change. And the "unblue" unchecked.

I nested myself under a thermal cloud and after about 5 minutes most of the thermal clouds dissapeared, but I was able to stay climbing in the thermal. The thermal clouds that remain visible are the default FSX-ones?

Anyway, after about 15 minutes, the thermal clouds re-appeared and the thermal engine kept working excellent from then on, producing and deleting thermal clouds.

So no problem after all (but now I must restudy the meteo-part of glider-theory that I had to study to pass the theory-test to get my gliderpilot-license, Thanks for that, Peter :winks: )

Bert

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter,

I changed the rate at which weather changes over time to: low and flew over an hour in the SION area with all the other setting as described before. The CSX!-thermals now remained all the time. So that must have been it.

Bert

Hi folks,

I think I fixed it meanhwile. So find attached a new interim release with a streeting algorithm and widespread sink structure. I'd like to raise attention for two things:

1) Almost all the recent changes are specific to the AutoThermal mode only. Ridge lift and Script files should not have changed

2) It has become very difficult to forecast what the thermal engine is going to do, because of the many influential factors. It is surely not always realistic, but (hopefully) most things that are surprising are on purpose (and not bugs). :winks:

best regards,

Peter

// 0.951 22.02.2008 Streeting and Widespread-Sink structure algorithm fixed

What's new in Version 0.951

This is primarily a bug fixing release of the 0.95, which in fact was withdrawn. The streeting algorithm and the widespread sink structure were to nervous by far. In addition, the previous approach was highly prone to inconsistencies between multiplayers.

The wind conditions for the widespread sink structure and for streeting is taken from the interpolated weather stations now at ground altitude, rather than from the aircraft ambient wind. This should produce a much better coincidence between two nearby aircraft than the ambient wind, which is known for its strong fluctuations. A side effect is, that you cannot easily check the correctness of the function anymore, since there is no simple means to request the wind from the weather stations, without extra software. You cannot compare the streeting situation with the aircraft ambient wind in the Shift-Z display, because this is usually different from the wind at the weather stations.

Another problem was, that the previous algorithm contained discontinuities, which could lead to totally different thermal situation even with minimal changes of wind speed or direction. This is no longer the case and change of the thermal dsitribution will always be gradually.

Smoothing of the thermal leaning during wind changes has been turned on again. You can expect, that during a sudden wind change the thermal core does no longer jump away immediately. Instead, it moves slowly over approximately two minutes to its new location.

Edit: Attachment removed because of final release