Default Slope Lift?

sf4JC

Tonight I was soaring in Free Flight near PHDH airfield (Dillingham) Hawaii and think I was getting slope lift along the ridge to the west in spots, and I mean good lift too, no weather update glitches. I was running real-world weather and real time at 3:00pm Hawaii time. I looked to see if there were any indications of thermals in the area and there was only one WSW of the ridge farther over the ocean I think.

Does anyone know if FSX puts thermal indicators at every thermal location? I tried to fly part of the ridge as if in a thermal and did not get the same effects as in a thermal. So is it possible that they added slope lift, if that is what it is, to the default senery for a Free Flight session?

I jotted down some coordinates at one point while getting lift so others could verify at...

- - - N21*34.26' W158*13.35'

- - - Wind at the time was 55@12kts

sf4JC

Apparently it's the old scenery-type of thermal, without a cloud model. The lift area is rectangle without any transitions and the lift profile over the daytime is 6m/s at noon, decreasing to zero at 6am and 6pm.

It is independent from wind direction and speed. I suppose it's a residue from older FS scenery. Though, as described in the docs, the old ridge lift element still exist, and basically it is possible that there are also a few ridge definitions existing.

regards,

Peter

It's old news. The historic ridge lift scenery element and the thermal scenery element continue to exist in the bgl-environment. Neither of the two can replace the CCS functionality. Indeed, the thermal element is well superseded by the new thermal object, which can be produced programmatically in Simconnect. Unfortunately, this is not possible with ridge lift, and by certain reasons, the thermal object cannot be easily misused to mimic a ridge-like lift condition.

It is still possible to define ridge-lift regions in a scenery editor, manually one by one, but it will never produce the variety and complexity of CCS2004 conditions.

I will continue to look after a next service pack and, if there is not yet an appropriate fix for the the problem, consider then if it is worthwhile to think of a new attempt for ridge lift.

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, for your continued devotion to possibly getting slope lift into FSX through something other than Missions. Hopefully Microsoft will bring this functionality back. Maybe there was something not functioning right about it within FSX and there wasn't enough time and money to devote to correcting it.

Whatever you decide, Thanks for trying!

sf4JC