TileProxy for both FS9&FSX

sf4JC

TileProxy is a program that takes mapping services like GoogleEarth, VirtualEarth, and YahooMaps and inputs high resolution ground images (in a lot of areas as good as 1m/pixel) in place of the stock FSX ground. Here is an example of what it can do to the scenery around the SOAR Ranch in FSX.

VFR_nord.bmp

Stock FSX scenery

VirtualEarth scenery

post-233-1212094914_thumb.jpg

Yahoo scenery

Google Earth may even be better, because in my experience, it has better resolution.

You can find the program at http://sourceforge.net/projects/tileproxy . It seems like the best forum for info on it is at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=set...age=show_topics .

I'm still experimenting with it, but from what I've seen, it's an awsome live scenery replacer. It takes a while for it to load for my computer as well as update, but if you've got a high-end computer, you may be surprised with the outcome.

sf4JC

I tried it for a while with my not so fast machine and I always ended up with a blurry mess. Initially it shows really stunning pictures. According a comment of ACES it may come from the FS9-style method to realise photoreal ground, which easily overloads the rendering machine in FSX. Google will ban you after a short time of an hour or so, too.

The whole earth would be 1234 Terabyte in 1x1m resolution. So having just the strip where you fly is probably the way to go. There is a lively discussion on the pros and cons of photoscenery. Drawbacks are that you don't have seasons and, when you fly in low altitude, 3D-ground objects (autogen) are missed.

There is also another program, FSEarthTiles, which downloads the ground image offline and creates a native FS9 or FSX photoreal background. I tried it for the 6x6 km sourrounding of my home aerodrome, annotated the autogen and added some extra scenery objects with the object placer. Runs really smooth and looks impressive, though it is only feasible for rather small patches, due to the amount of work.

And unfortunately you cannot share it because of the copyright of the image.

regards,

Peter

• 1 month later...

To be honest Tile Proxy cannot compete with what is being developed currently be the Team at ORBX Simulations Systems in Australia, it is slow, bandwidth and Hard disk hungry, and most pilots just won't stand for the amount of time it takes to cache you tiles. While Google and other Aerial Photography is great it lags behind terribly in many interesting places which mostly VFR pilots in the Sim WANT to explore, and it it for this reason I believe the Scenery textures and Land class being developed is FAR superior to Tile Proxy.

Don't believe me !! Look below

screen70.jpg

screen57.jpg

screen68.jpg

Orbx_Official_Shot_0055.jpg

I hope you enjoyed these shots.

Mozz, is that program Freeware or Payware. Also, I checked their site breifly, and couldn't find the program. What exactly am I looking for?

One more question, is it the real tiles for the real area? Meaning, are the roads and farm where I grew up at going to be there?

Thanks,

sf4JC

It is payware and a direct decendant of the Vista Australis or VOZ Scenery. Release Date is to be in November I think but not 100% sure, I'll check. Currently real like TP gives the answer is no, But the roads and Rivers are accurate. The idea behind the project was to cover the vast areas that do not have good google coverage. BUT this will change as imagery becomes available. Due to the MASSIVE amount of data needed for photo ground to have actual images, what has been done is images of airfields etc and then using more accurate Land class, represent the Village, Rural, Timbered,and Urban landscapes. the big thing is these tiles are Mipped in such a way as they stay sharp from Altitude to Ground level