Simplified tow plane change.

Simplified tow plane change.

** It is unnecessary to delete lines. The double slashes makes the line a comment. **

** In the Maule aircraft.cfg, only modify [fltsim.5]. **

*Excerpt of the modified Maule aircraft.cfg

[fltsim.5]

//title= Maule M7 260C

title=SF 25 C - D-KURT ;; SUBSTITUTE YOUR CHOSEN TOW PLANE

sim=Maule M7 260C

Excerpt of the modified SF 25 C aircraft.cfg

[fltsim.0]

//title=SF 25 C - D-KURT ;; YOUR CHOSEN TOW PLANE

title=Maule M7 260C

sim=SF 25 C - D-KURT

Thanks for the info! I'm going to possibly give this a try later when I have the time. But I may just do one of his methods that makes a second copy of the plane, and then I can still fly the Muale if I need to. I'm assuming I can follow your instructions for the duplicate plane, is this correct?

sf4JC

Thanks for the info! I'm going to possibly give this a try later when I have the time. But I may just do one of his methods that makes a second copy of the plane, and then I can still fly the Muale if I need to. I'm assuming I can follow your instructions for the duplicate plane, is this correct?

sf4JC

Well, let's get into this a little further.

First, the first time you make the modifications, it may take you 5 minutes. Once you are comfortable with the proceedure, maybe 30 seconds.

Second, you will still be able to pilot the plain white Maule and the plane you chose for the tow with no further modifications to anything. Just like they had never been touched. The only time the modifications take effect is when you are in a glider and call for a tow. When you hit CTL+SFT+Y you'll see the new tow pop up and off you go. The reason Mr. Murr wanted multiple tows is the different flight and power characteristics of the different planes.

If you are bound and determined to keep a copy of the original .cfg files, just single click on the file, right click on the file, click 'copy', right click on an empty space in the folder, click 'paste'. You'll see a new file entitled 'Copy of aircraft.cfg'. If things get so balled up that you need to start over, delete the messed up 'aircraft.cfg' file, rename the 'Copy of aircraft.cfg' to 'aircraft.cfg' and you're back to square one.

Have fun with it. The world won't end if you have to reload FSX or re-install a downloaded plane.

Thanks again for the info Wiley!

As far as reloading FSX, I'd rather not have to do that again. Seems like it takes about 45min or so to go through that process. But I shouldn't have to go through that again, hopefully.

What you said brings up a few question's that have been on my mind. Do you think Microsoft is going to have some sort of database for the flightsim racing communities aircraft textures once the races start this fall? I saw that SOAR had a download of competitors planes for an event back in '04. I'll have to see how big that file was after unzipping it, and see how many textures or planes were included. In the car racing sim (NR2003) I use, I have about 8000 cars from people online. It's nice to see other peoples designs, rather than seeing the default cars while racing.

I kinda hope there's a way to use the FSX racing system in soaring competitions too. Then again I have no idea what I'm talking about here. Not sure of the structure of how points are given out during a soaring competition. Just thought it would be nice to have a program do the scoring rather than doing it by hand. It would save on the contest directors responsibilities, so it would not be so scary for a person like me to offer to lend a helping hand. Does anyone know how Condor does it? Is it calculated in the sim and then exportable so others can see the results?

sf4JC

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, last week I got up the courage to try out a new towplane. I downloaded a somewhat suitable plane for FS2004 and started a repaint of the aircraft for FSX. I'm not totally satisfied with the paint scheme yet, but it'll do for now. I'll try to post a picture later.

sf4JC

Welp, last week I got up the courage to try out a new towplane. I downloaded a somewhat suitable plane for FS2004 and started a repaint of the aircraft for FSX. I'm not totally satisfied with the paint scheme yet, but it'll do for now. I'll try to post a picture later.

sf4JC

Here it is, please tell me what you all think! It's a PZL Dromader M-18A, made for FS2004 by Jan Moravec.

post-1499-1184588374.jpg