More Forum Changes

Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

SOAR seems to be entering a period of severe slumber. I have decided to make some changes. Sense Karen and I are paying for this site we are going to have some fun with it. We have shut down the X-Plane and SotS forum due to the complete lack of activity on these forums. We will keep the Microsoft FS2004, FSX, and the Condor forums.

I was hoping that the pilots involved with Condor would take hold of the reins of that facet of virtual soaring and plan some online races and activities. I can't really handle this project as I don't have the internet connection necessary to persue online soaring in Condor. This has not happened for some reason, and sense it is mid March I think it is probably too late in the season to put anything together until next Fall.

Soaring in MS seems to be in slumber. Soaring in FS2004 seems to be the best option for MSFS users at the moment even though it is a past generation sim. I think FSX has some obsticles to overcome before it becomes a popular soaring sim. A significient portion of the flight sim community has to upgrade to high end computers in order to take full advantage of FSX performance capabilities. Also, FSX users need to upgrade to Vista to achieve optimum performance which will be costly and not without its own share of fustrations. Almost all of old SOAR members have abandoned ship for one reason or another. Many members have left because of Microsoft's seemingly insenitivity to the virtual soaring pilot's needs and wishes over the years and the fact that everone has to reinvent the wheel everytime a new version comes out.

It will take time for new members with the necessary resources to come into the fold and rejuivinate SOAR. I have noticed third party addons for FSX (especially scenery) has been very lethargic in coming forth. FSX has been out almost six months and not much is available for it yet.

I will not tolerate any more bashing of flight sims here. If you feel you must do this please go elsewhere.

You will notice we have added a new forum on this board: Radio Control Soaring. Yes, I know it is real and not virtual. That is okay. I like the idea. It is something you can touch and feel, do in reality, get fresh air and exercise, and maybe make some friends. A lot of new members have expressed an interest in the this form of aeromodeling. It also happens to be my hobby. :smiles:

Lets get off our butts and have some fun.

Cheers, :big_boss:

Don

Hi Don,

Yes, it is certainly quiet on the board at the moment. Living in the southern hemisphere means the we are just comming to the end of our soaring season, not that flying stops as we are luck enough to be able to fly all year. I also started flying hang gliders about a year ago, so any free time I get on the simulator is using fs9, ccs, and Eric's hang glider.

Hope the boards activity picks up soon.

Dave

Hi Don,

Yes, it is certainly quiet on the board at the moment. Living in the southern hemisphere means the we are just comming to the end of our soaring season, not that flying stops as we are luck enough to be able to fly all year. I also started flying hang gliders about a year ago, so any free time I get on the simulator is using fs9, ccs, and Eric's hang glider.

Hope the boards activity picks up soon.

Dave

I can understand some of the changes, but blocking guests from even viewing the forums is not a good idea in my opinion. try logging out then come back as a guest you cant see anything, no way for anyone to view anything

I can understand some of the changes, but blocking guests from even viewing the forums is not a good idea in my opinion. try logging out then come back as a guest you cant see anything, no way for anyone to view anything

Oops, Did mean to do that. Sorry :embaressed: . When someone sees something that seems strange or not quite right, please post on the board or e-mail us right away. We don't always catch everything.

Thanks,

Don