FSX Thermals

nobicus

Being a curious sort of chap I looked at the files included with the FSX demo. In there is a file called ThermalDescriptions.xml. So, curiosity peaked I opened the file. Not being a programmer it means not a lot save for the bits in plain text. I have copied and pasted below whatI think is interesting particularly in respect of sink.

<ThermalDescription id = "{4f5e0001-1e81-11db-9897-001372201444}">

<RadiusMin>2000</RadiusMin>

<RadiusMax>3000</RadiusMax>

<HeightMin>4000</HeightMin>

<HeightMax>6000</HeightMax>

<CoreRateMin>2.5</CoreRateMin>

<CoreRateMax>3.5</CoreRateMax>

<CoreTurbulenceMin>0.05</CoreTurbulenceMin>

<CoreTurbulenceMax>0.10</CoreTurbulenceMax>

<SinkRateMin>1.0</SinkRateMin>

<SinkRateMax>1.5</SinkRateMax>

<SinkTurbulenceMin>0.2</SinkTurbulenceMin>

<SinkTurbulenceMax>0.4</SinkTurbulenceMax>

<CoreSizeMin>0.4</CoreSizeMin>

<CoreSizeMax>0.6</CoreSizeMax>

<CoreTransitionSizeMin>0.1</CoreTransitionSizeMin>

<CoreTransitionSizeMax>0.1</CoreTransitionSizeMax>

<SinkSizeMin>0.2</SinkSizeMin>

<SinkSizeMax>0.3</SinkSizeMax>

<SinkTransitionSizeMin>0.1</SinkTransitionSizeMin>

<SinkTransitionSizeMax>0.1</SinkTransitionSizeMax>

</ThermalDescription>

Can't wait for the SDK. I had made up my mind not to buy FSX until I read this. Now I am re-thinking.

The demo ran so badly on my P4 2.4, that I don't believe that I'll be in any shape for the full version.

Without a much more powerful rig, I'm pretty much outta business. I guess I'll have to leave it up to those who can afford such toys. Oh well.

I just tried FSX Demo on my P 2.6 and it runs fine with default settings. I pushed the mesh resolution slider up to 19 meters and the texture resolution up to 1 Meter and it still runs at 20 frames/ sec. I will next install the sim on karen's P3.0 dual core processor and see what happens.

Next step is to see if CCS will work, Oooh Eric, are you around? There is a nice little hill at Vance Winkworth Amory to try it out if someone will work up the lift files for the little island.

Cheers, :D

• 2 weeks later...
Next step is to see if CCS will work, Oooh Eric, are you around?

Hi guys,

I'm working hard now to improve CCS' handling of thermals in wind. I was hoping to have till about the end of the year to have to worry about FSX, but it looks like it will be around sooner than that. I'm going to stay the course with my current effort, though, and will probably not do any FSX-related study till I'm done with the current effort. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys that are playing around with FSX can give, though, of course.

Thanks,

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my experiences with Active sky 6 and it's VAS ( Vertical Air Simulation ) and it's ability to render realtime weather it may make CCS a little obsolete, but it can't generate a BGL so everyone has the same envirenment.

In testing with some friends online we have slight diffefences that you'd expect in the real world.

My biggest question RE FSX is can were do Aero Tow's LIVE ? That is to say have a Tug Pilots and Gliderpilots just like a real Competition.

A Start Gate and Turn point Photo's are easily catered for.

Based on my experiences with Active sky 6 and it's VAS ( Vertical Air Simulation ) and it's ability to render realtime weather it may make CCS a little obsolete, but it can't generate a BGL so everyone has the same envirenment.

Does the VAS create ridge lift?

Yes sir it does , and damn good wave too. I climbed WAYYYYYYyyy up there with Mr Fosset just a few weeks ago and was amazed at Active sky's abilities... Screenie to prove it when I find the one.

Mozz,

Is Active Sky 6 compatable with Ultimate Terrain? It seems to me there was a conflect there but I could be wrong. I just don't remember for sure.

Well, I may have answered my own question. I probed around on the UT Forums, Flight 1_ Ground Enhancement, and Active Sky web sites and could not find a definitive answer to my question. However, I did discover that Active Sky is intimately linked to Ground enhancement ( provides FS2004 replacement ground textures world wide). Ground Enhancement is designed to be used with Ultimate Terrain (provides roads, stream, shorelines, ect.) All three should work fine together.

Cheers, :smiles:,

Don