Time for a change or Diversion???

Tom Eagles

Ok having had a play with the fsx demo and Condor recently, and having talked to a few other members I was wondering how many other members have condor?

The reason for this is HOW Easy condor is to setup and use in multiplay and race tasking.

I am hoping that MS finally comes through for us in FSX as far as multiplayer goes, however if not does anybody feel we should make a move towards another sim for online racing????

I feel that I would prefer to stay with FS in offline racing but the ease of condor and native wave ridge etc would make online racing much much easier.

anyway anyone have any thoughts??

tom

i think M$ is way behind in the soaring end still, I played a tow at oshkosh and it was pretty cruddy, and with Condors Patch 9 coming out soon and a Condor V2 on the horizon, id rather just see more sceneries for condor (or a worldwide scenery like MS)

That's right Tom,

Condor is much more easy to configure and use than FS. It's realistic and the patch9 will improve the thermal behaviour and, at least, add a wood and fabric glider (ASK13).

Two points keep me in the FS side :

1) the planes pack (to add more gliders) will be payware :confused2: . Free designers will not be able to produce and directly add their gliders into the sim. The advantage of this procedure is to ensure gliders have the exact performance (Condor is fully race oriented). The problem is that since one year several designers started to create new gliders, no one is yet available :vv: ... Under FS we have a huge production of new gliders (thanks to you, Franck, Wolfgang, ... sorry for those I don't mentionned)

2) the only (pur) glider orientation. As it's normal because it's only a soaring simulator, what I love with FS/SOAR/APS/FFVVV is that we have a communauty flying together and not only for races. At APS we have choppers pilots, powered planes pilots, ultralights, .... and everybody fly together with a very pleasant ambiance, like the one I knew few (!) years ago on the real airfield :AA: :yahoo: .

I'm flying both Condor and FS. I'm using them in different aim : FS for the pleasure of flight and ambiance. Condor exclusively for soaring performances.

If Condor allows in the future that people can pilot the tug planes and motorgliders and why not free gliders (not allowed for the races) and if a day a two seats glider is available for multiplayers to fly together in the same glider to learn how to do, I think I'll switch to Condor. In the mean time, I have one foot in each. :winks:

That's right Tom,

Condor is much more easy to configure and use than FS. It's realistic and the patch9 will improve the thermal behaviour and, at least, add a wood and fabric glider (ASK13).

Two points keep me in the FS side :

1) the planes pack (to add more gliders) will be payware :confused2: . Free designers will not be able to produce and directly add their gliders into the sim. The advantage of this procedure is to ensure gliders have the exact performance (Condor is fully race oriented). The problem is that since one year several designers started to create new gliders, no one is yet available :vv: ... Under FS we have a huge production of new gliders (thanks to you, Franck, Wolfgang, ... sorry for those I don't mentionned)

2) the only (pur) glider orientation. As it's normal because it's only a soaring simulator, what I love with FS/SOAR/APS/FFVVV is that we have a communauty flying together and not only for races. At APS we have choppers pilots, powered planes pilots, ultralights, .... and everybody fly together with a very pleasant ambiance, like the one I knew few (!) years ago on the real airfield :AA: :yahoo: .

I'm flying both Condor and FS. I'm using them in different aim : FS for the pleasure of flight and ambiance. Condor exclusively for soaring performances.

If Condor allows in the future that people can pilot the tug planes and motorgliders and why not free gliders (not allowed for the races) and if a day a two seats glider is available for multiplayers to fly together in the same glider to learn how to do, I think I'll switch to Condor. In the mean time, I have one foot in each. :winks:

Yep the part about paying for add on gliders is not so good in condor, but as all classes of gliders are represented quite well i think that condor may provide us with an opportunity for racing online easier than fs does at present.

I will always remain on the fs camp for offline racing and development, but condor allows racing online with very easy to setup server software and the weather etc thermal activity etc is also very easy to setup.. all within one package, I have spoken to a few of the members and they all think that condor for racing online is the easiest option.

However the realism provided by fs as in instruments gps etc and the visual aspects will keep me in the fs camp untill such time that condor maybe surpasses it (condor 2 will show it)

As mentioned both have their positives and minuses and I have both, plus SoS, SfSPC4 ect. -yet to get Silentwings -which has the capacity to be better than Condor I think.

I think Condor has pretty well set up sites supporting it - if you want to race using Condor there is the infastructure already there for that - so what would SOAR add?

I don't really see the need for SOAR to move into that camp - as it was set up to support soaring in FS wasn't it? - lets keep it like that with SOAR's focus on improving the experience in MSFS -I think more is to be gained that way.

The other thing is that much (all?) of the development in FS Soaring as been by freeware developers - but with Condor the development seems to be a little more 'commercial'

As mentioned both have their positives and minuses and I have both, plus SoS, SfSPC4 ect. -yet to get Silentwings -which has the capacity to be better than Condor I think.

I think Condor has pretty well set up sites supporting it - if you want to race using Condor there is the infastructure already there for that - so what would SOAR add?

I don't really see the need for SOAR to move into that camp - as it was set up to support soaring in FS wasn't it? - lets keep it like that with SOAR's focus on improving the experience in MSFS -I think more is to be gained that way.

The other thing is that much (all?) of the development in FS Soaring as been by freeware developers - but with Condor the development seems to be a little more 'commercial'

Hi wormburner :)

I think that maybe people are misinterpreting this thread, there is no suggestion as to jump ship to condor as THE sim.

Condor offers an extremely easy to use mulitplayer enviroment, what is being suggested here is that is a possible alternative for online racing. Everything is set fully by thr server all weather conditions lift etc. everyone sees exactly the same as each other, aerowtow starts etc etc. Coupled with an inbulit handicapping and scoring system this make racing much lower on overheads such as administration, judging setup etc etc.

As for the SOAR setup for MSFS you are right, but alternatives have been discussed by many for a long time. FSX hopefully will bring us what we hope, but if it means adapting existing software wont work like ccs 2004 etc then will developers be prepared to put in the time for a complete rebuild, as it looks at the moment it is possible that quite a lot of gauges etc will no longer work in fsx..

we have all stated that we wish to remain with MSFS but i think unless FSX improves online racing capabilities i think that we should look at condor as maybe the alternative to online events and keep fs for offline etc.

anyway thats my 0.2c worth this thread is just about sounding out everyones point of view, but i know there are a lot of SOAR pilots out there that think the same way as i do, and the FDM in condor are quite amazing.

ONE MORE SIDE NOTE :))))

The 22 is back in development and for those condor users out there, the FDM are damn good... ask jerry ;)

as for dates look to sooner than later..

tom

Hi Tom,

not wishing to be difficult - just in the interests of a healthy debate-I can see the justifications for your argument and agree that Condor is potentially better set up for online racing- with maybe one or two reservations -i.e. graphically scenery wise it is way behind some sims, limited areas, payware planes ect..

But doesn't Condor already have well supported sites for online racing? -so if that is your intent why not online race using the sites already developed? Why does SOAR need to become involved if the oppourtunity/infrastructure is already in place -surely all you are doing then is duplicating things?

Surely SOAR members who wish to online fly using Condor can use the sites already set up for it and those that wish to online fly using MSFS can use the sites set up for that? or is this being too simplistic? do they not provide something you would like?

On a side note what does FSX offer that FS9 doesn't for soaring? (apart from aerotow? and a very bendy winged DG800S!) just curious -I tried the demo and was distinctantly unimpressed.

Hi Everyone,

SOAR has been using MSFS as the foundation of its virtual soaring pregram and will for quite some time into the future I am sure. However, we will not be limited to just MSFS.

As other soaring compatable flight sims come into existance we will most likely use them in

SOAR activities. I plan to purchase Condor very soon and will schedule some SOAR sponsered informal races using the sim.

Our friendly informal races seem to be a little different than the cutthroat killer races that I have been reading about on the Condor forums. I don't want to degrade the Condor race program in any way. They have been doing some great things. But some of our pilots may think flying a race with four digit entries is a little bit too crowded. Also there is the problem of pilot rudeness, something we have never had to deal with at SOAR. However, this sinister problem is bound to raise its ugly head when dealing with thousands of entrants.

Although SOAR is open to anyone having an interest in virtual soaring and we boast a membership of 1500, our active membership is in fact a very small close knit group where rudeness is unknown. We are all friends and we plan to keep it that way.

SOAR supports and promotes all approaches to virtual soaring.

So lets have some fun! :D

ONE MORE SIDE NOTE :))))

The 22 is back in development and for those condor users out there, the FDM are damn good... ask jerry ;)

as for dates look to sooner than later..

tom

Tom,

Details Please :yahoo: :lust: :lust: :lust: :groupflip: :yahoo:

Don

Tom,

Details Please :yahoo: :lust: :lust: :lust: :groupflip: :yahoo:

Don

lol ok weeks rather then a longer period.. if ya liked the 22 in condor you will love it in MSFS.

Wormburner no probs :) As don has hinetd at we were talking about SOAR Based races where the eraces would be password protected so only SOAR members can participate, the server side of things takes not much time to do at all. There are no need for dedciated servers like with fs.

As for the cut throated manner of the races yep people take racing on some servers very seriously.. This si not our style so we would ensure that amny informal races as don suggested would remain open to soar pilots only i guess.

Hi Tom,

not wishing to be difficult - just in the interests of a healthy debate-I can see the justifications for your argument and agree that Condor is potentially better set up for online racing- with maybe one or two reservations -i.e. graphically scenery wise it is way behind some sims, limited areas, payware planes ect..

But doesn't Condor already have well supported sites for online racing? -so if that is your intent why not online race using the sites already developed? Why does SOAR need to become involved if the oppourtunity/infrastructure is already in place -surely all you are doing then is duplicating things?

Surely SOAR members who wish to online fly using Condor can use the sites already set up for it and those that wish to online fly using MSFS can use the sites set up for that? or is this being too simplistic? do they not provide something you would like?

On a side note what does FSX offer that FS9 doesn't for soaring? (apart from aerotow? and a very bendy winged DG800S!) just curious -I tried the demo and was distinctantly unimpressed.

Ok secenery wise yes condor is behind that of MSFS but the flight dynamics are way ahead of most of the current NSFS gliders unfortuately. Payware aircraft yes there will be an expansion kit in the future that will be payware but currently the sim contains at least 4 aircraft in every class except the open class asw22 and nimbus4 only.

Seneries at the moment are 4 places colubia eastern alps provence slovakia slovenia, however currently UK NL USA and many more are in development and they so far have all benn freeware.. :)

There is no need for special sites for condor racing anyone can host the race, set the weather conditions and the race is underway. As for providing something that they dont it would be a closed race ie only soar members could join the race, this would eliminate the problems that some pilots out there cause who are not soar member.

FSX Needs to do an awful lot more in the full version for me to even consider purchasing it, for example the software needed to develop newaircraft only comes in the most expensive version of fsx i think there are 4 or 5 versions... This means that developers will now face further expenses to provide freeware aircraft..

I am not on the FSX beta team a few soar members are.. maybe they will be able to shed some more light on things (well as much as they are allowed to do)

as with each version of any simulator especially the soaring side, there are pro's and cons to each and everyone.

i hope this answers a few of your questions.

Thanks Tom and Eagleone for the info - I can know see the justificaton for your wish to use Condor online, which intially I couldn't. Didn't realise there where so many sceneries available for Condor -will have to check them out, and the races where so cutthroat!

Thanks Tom and Eagleone for the info - I can know see the justificaton for your wish to use Condor online, which intially I couldn't. Didn't realise there where so many sceneries available for Condor -will have to check them out, and the races where so cutthroat!

The races especially on the dedicated battlent servers are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT :(

but from wht i have heard the others are much more friendly, however you get a few people who like mid airs

The races especially on the dedicated battlent servers are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT :(

but from wht i have heard the others are much more friendly, however you get a few people who like mid airs

Hmmm. I think there is room on the ASH25 for a single 50 cal. Now that would make thermaling verrry interesting. :pilot:

Waay too many sociopaths out there. I like the idea of a SOAR only race tho. I guess i need to check this out. Good thread Tom.

Harry

To make it short, I'm of Jerry's opinion: There's place for another sim here, since on line racing is not very popular yet at SOAR. And of course SOAR's ethics would be a must.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Even if Condor is competition oriented, it should also be noted that it is of course possible to have a good time in freeflights. Everyday several freeflights run on the multiplayer servers. I mean that the people using Condor are not all obsessed with performance/races.

Just my two cents :blush: