SOAR Donations

Chris Gordan

Friends,

It was brought to my attention that some credit card companies consider a donation to be a "quasi-cash" transaction, and will actually have the nerve to charge a cash advance fee. **

Please, PLEASE- check with your credit card policies before sending a donation. The last thing I EVER want to happen is for someone to donate say, $5 and end up getting charged more than the donation itself as a cash advance fee. I'd rather keep paying for the whole thing myself than see my friends get screwed by their credit card company.

This is completely up to the credit card companies, folks. PayPal has nothing at all to do with it. They are charging SOAR a simple 2.9% fee for handling the credit card transaction, which is certainly reasonable.

**If you have a verified PayPal account and make a donation from there, this will not apply to you.

Update:

I had made a donation to another site in which I often participate (non soaring related) using my Discover Card.

The statement arrived today, and there were no additional charges whatsoever beyond my $10 donation.

This is of course no guarantee that your card company would not treat the transaction otherwise, but it's a simple thing to check. Personally, I would not do business with any company that would surcharge me for a donation by credit card. The decision of course, is up to all of you.

Just wanted to let everyone know.