SOAR's new look is here!!

Chris Gordan

Friends,

It is with great pleasure that I get to announce that the renovations to the site are now available for all to see. I think that you'll find the new navigation system MUCH easier to use, and it's certainly nice just to have a new look.

Although the site had grown by leaps and bounds since I took over for Lenny as director, I and others were simply adding to the site, which made it more and more difficult to find specific things from the index page. It had gotten to the point where new visitors could easily scroll through that entire page and still have trouble finding the Aircraft downloads or other important places like the Utilities page and others.

We ALL owe a major debt of gratitude to Karen Hamilton, who did ALL the work in reorganising everything into a navigable and expandable structure. I can't even imagine how many hours she had to spend doing this- it seemed like such a monumental task, that I quite frankly had let go, saying, "someday I'm gonna..."

Well, Karen jumped right in and did an absolutely bang-up job of making it easier for everyone to find what they're looking for, as well as making it easier to expand and make the internal directory structure understandable to those who may be working on the site in the future.

I don't really have the words to thank her for all this hard work and dedication to our group. I'm sure that many of you will be adding your sentiments as well- PLEASE DO!

Guest Karen Hamilton

biggrin.gif Thank you so much Chris for the very nice compliments. I am certainly glad that you like the results! I sure enjoyed doing it.

I would also like to commend Chris on the super Intro Page!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif He worked well into the night (several nights) to get it finished for our grand re-opening!!

The video really represents SOAR!!! You outdid yourself on this one!! I hope each of you will take a few minutes to view it and turn your speakers up -- it will blow you away!!! I am sure he will enjoy hearing your comments also! wink.gif

SOAR Index Page

Great job Karen and Chris! The site IS easier to navigate now and I'm sure it will catch heavier use. Many thanks to both of you for the hours you devote to maintaining and sustaining the SOAR organization.

Bill

PS Even checked the FS2k4 Aircraft Downloads page, hoping for a "surprise", but no joy sad.gif

Unfortunately, I have to take the Flash intro down temporarily.

I had contacted the artist directly for permission to use the sound clip that I chose, but have not heard from him. If it were licensed through BMI (who handles royalties for artists etc.) it would be almost $300 per year...as much as the SOAR site costs now.

Even if we did get enough donations to cover this, it's a no-brainer that we'd want to use that money for something else instead, like more server space, multi server, TS server or whatever.

I'll work to find something that I've personally recorded that would be appropriate, or record something new and original and use that. Who knows, we might even get direct permission from the artist at some point. The clip that I chose really worked well, but I'm sure that I can come up with something else.

Nevertheless, the important work of reorganising the site has already been done by Karen. Those who had not seen the flash clip certainly won't miss it, and I'll get it all together again somehow.

• 1 month later...