No More Anonymous FTP- PERIOD

Chris Gordan

I am fuming at the moment. After several years with this host, who has quickly solved previous problems, they have apparently given up on us regarding anonymous FTP.

This was the latest response:

ftp problems at virtualsoaring.org

> Even after full propagation of the new IP, anon-FTP still gives: "530 authentication failed,sorry !login failure, so quitting."

At this time it looks like we are not able to offer you anon-ftp. We have done everything we can do, including trying two different FTP programs etc. and recompiling both and resetting config files, and it still is not working.

You may just have to upload the files to a /downloads folder or your site or something and let people get them from there with their browser.

I'm sorry about that. Closing ticket.

Cheers,

Ronnie

AlwaysWebHosting.com

support@alwayswebhosting.com

Phone: 972-886-2221

Msgr: RonnieAWH

And here is the entire history:

Sir:

Anonymous ftp is giving unexplained login failures. The problem is new, and all had worked previously. I can only get in via my admin login.

Thank you.

Ronnie

Posted on 08 Jun 2005 03:54 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Sir:

>

> Anonymous ftp is giving unexplained login failures. The problem is new, and all had worked previously. I can only get in via my admin login.

Hi can you cut and paste the ftp error you're getting?

Cheers,

Ronnie

AlwaysWebHosting.com

Christopher J. Gordan

Posted on 08 Jun 2005 04:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronnie,

In WS_FTP I get "530 Authentication failed. !Login failure, so quitting" .

Some users to my site use a link to access the anonymous ftp using MSIE, as in: ftp://anonymous@virtualsoaring.org@ftp.vi...S_TerrainFiles/

Entering the password "anonymous" in IE's dialog simply prompts a re-try by refreshing the dialog box with password blank again.

All other users use:

username: anonymous@virtualsoaring.org

password: anonymous

It all worked until last week, when the login failures suddenly appeared for all but an admin login. I looked at the site CP, the public ftp folders , and all permissions, but could find no problem.

Thanks,

Chris Gordan,

SOAR Director

www.virtualsoaring.org

----- Original Message -----

To: cjgordan@cox.net

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 2:54 PM

Subject: [GBD-25972]: ftp problems at virtualsoaring.org

Ronnie

Posted on 09 Jun 2005 04:10 PM

Hi Chris, is it okay if I move ya to another, newer server? smile.gif

let me know and I can get it moved fully, email , files, database. etc. with no downtime!

Ronnie

Cheers,

Ronnie

AlwaysWebHosting.com

Christopher J. Gordan

Posted on 09 Jun 2005 04:45 PM

Whatever you think is best...you've always come through in the past smile.gif

Would I need to change the domain pointing, or would this be invisible to visitors?

Other than that, I guess I'd just need the new server address for the control panel and ftp?

Thanks for all your help,

Chris

Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 3:10 PM

Ronnie

Posted on 09 Jun 2005 05:25 PM

Hi, no problem! Its a completely transparent transfer behind the scenes, you don't need to change DNS or aything. I am starting the move now, your cpanel login URL is now:

http://server4.alwayswebhosting.com/cpanel

or

http://virtualsoaring.com/cpanel

Transfer should be done within 10 min, and DNS propagation to the new IP address should take 12-24 hours. wink.gif

(You can temporarily FTP to server4.alwayswebhosting.com with your cpanel user/pass for now as well)

Thanks,

Ronnie

> Whatever you think is best...you've always come through in the past smile.gif

> Would I need to change the domain pointing, or would this be invisible to visitors?

> Other than that, I guess I'd just need the new server address for the control panel and ftp?

Cheers,

Ronnie

AlwaysWebHosting.com

Christopher J. Gordan

Posted on 10 Jun 2005 02:25 AM

That's great Ronnie...but it seems that the anonymous ftp access still isn't working.

Thanks,

CG

Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:25 PM

Ronnie

Posted on 10 Jun 2005 10:32 AM

Hmm, I will have to spend more time looking at this...

Cheers,

Ronnie

AlwaysWebHosting.com

Christopher Gordan

Posted on 12 Jul 2005 07:31 PM

Ticket Opened by Customer

Reason Specified: Still no anonymous ftp possible

Christopher Gordan

Posted on 12 Jul 2005 07:34 PM

Ronnie,

Even after the server switch that you did a month or so back, the anonymous ftp still gives login failures as before. I can access the folders by site password of course, but my members can not access or upload files.

Thanks

Joshua S.

Posted on 12 Jul 2005 08:17 PM

Christopher,

I will need to forward this to our admins to look into this issue with anon FTP on the server.

Regards,

Josh

Joshua S.

Posted on 12 Jul 2005 11:29 PM

Hello,

I have set up your account on a dedicated IP, 66.98.194.226. Once this propagates you should be able to use anon ftp without any problems.

Regards,

Josh

Christopher Gordan

Posted on 17 Jul 2005 07:02 PM

Ticket Opened by Customer

Reason Specified: STILL not working.

Christopher Gordan

Posted on 17 Jul 2005 07:08 PM

Even after full propagation of the new IP, anon-FTP still gives: "530 authentication failed,sorry !login failure, so quitting."

Rob G.

Posted on 17 Jul 2005 07:21 PM

Hello,

I will forward you to one of our admins.

Regards,

Rob

Ronnie

Posted on 18 Jul 2005 09:25 AM

> Even after full propagation of the new IP, anon-FTP still gives: "530 authentication failed,sorry !login failure, so quitting."

At this time it looks like we are not able to offer you anon-ftp. We have done everything we can do, including trying two different FTP programs etc. and recompiling both and resetting config files, and it still is not working.

You may just have to upload the files to a /downloads folder or your site or something and let people get them from there with their browser.

I'm sorry about that. Closing ticket.

Cheers,

Ronnie

AlwaysWebHosting.com

We'll figure SOMETHING out, Bill.

Heck, with all that's been painstakingly discovered for FS, this should only be a bump in the road...once I cool off and actually decide to do something else to fix it smile.gif

In the meantime, I'll try to look at other options. If the directories allow a file view (with no HTML in the folder), I should be able to dump the files to a folder and have folks access them through the browser. It still means extra steps since a public upload folder wouldn't be possible without a big security hole. I just don't know. I sure don't want these giant files in my personal mail folder to be downloaded here and re-uploaded later. There MUST be another way!

The host may have given up, but I won't. Like I said, I just gotta step back, take a deep breath, and get back to work.

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your persistence over this issue.

I am sure a suitable resolution will come to light.

I will ask my IT contacts at my client's office.

In the meantime thanks for the temporary fix.

Regards

Tony

happy.gif

Hi again Chris,

My IT expert has had a quick look at the problem and he makes the following comments.

We can make contact with the FTP server but fail to login. (he tried this out)

The security policy must have changed at the host site so that 'anonymous' login is no longer possible.

We should ask to login with a specific username and password, rather than 'anonymous'.

If they can set this up to work for us, then that should be OK for us, if they cannot do this, then their FTP capability is in doubt.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards

Tony

Tony-

I can indeed set up specific FTP accts with individual logins- I had done this previously for the designers.

I guess that I'd just have to be careful about folder permissions. It should be possible to have the same permissions as on the anonymous FTP previously...upload only to one folder, download only from another.

Since I was able to get the files to display through a browser file list, maybe we only need a single upload folder, while continuing to allow folks to retrieve through the browser as now.

I'll have to look into it a bit more, but as I said previously, there's ALWAYS a way to eventually get things to work to our satisfaction.