Mifflin Ridge Run

Guest Don Hamilton

CCS and sspecially the thremals simulation is close to the reality.

The ridges are almost too easy way to fly a glider in FS. Thermals at least require "feeling" what happens. And this is almost real.

Hi Norby and All,

This is a tongue in cheek reply to your comments about Mifflin. biggrin.gif

Firstly I don't think my setup can be quite right as the 28 should go up on a whiff of lift.

I didn't use the Mifflin ccs.ini as I am not interested in competitive flying.

I put the landclass and mesh files in a scenery/Mifflin/Add On Scenery folder and called it up in the scenery manager. confused.gif

We can't actually 'feel' thermals as force feedback does not work, we can't experience wing tip lifting, we can't see birds and we don't have clouds. sad.gif

I can pick up thermals easily in say a 5kt wind, but then there is no lift on the ridges to help you round the Mifflin course.

I agree that ridge lift is easy to stay up in, but it's not so easy to run a ridge at a higher speed than anyone else.

I also agree that the ccs thermal dynamics are the best available to us, but in a 16kt wind they are much harder to find than in real life.

BTW where do Schleicher put the TAB-W key in the full size 28's. biggrin.gif

Finally did you modify the Blanik, as mine does not have a Cambridge set?

Any help with the Mifflin setup would be appreciated.

Regards

Tony

Thank you,Don,Kris,Eric,et al, for a great challenging run.

I wonder if anyone else is having a problem with the Flight Recorder displaying the race results. I can display any flight of mine prior to submitttal but am unable to display anything from the Mifflin Ridge Run results, including my own race results. I get a message , "couldn`t open the selected dat file".

Thanks again,

Bud Fuechtmann biggrin.gif

I'd like to add my "Well done guys" to everyone elses. Very challenging course. Took me forever to find the route upwind to TP2 after leaving the main ridge. Never did use any thermal lift...just doged trees all the way! laugh.gif

Now it is on to the APS server for some Euro flying.

Harry

I wonder if anyone else is having a problem with the Flight Recorder displaying the race results. .. "couldn`t open the selected dat file".

This is usually a result of opening a .log file when the corresponding .dat file is not in the same folder. You must have the .dat file with the task in it, and it must be named identically to the .log file. This is done automatically when the viewer saves a flight. Both files are necessary to view a flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Re the Race:

Many thanks to all who worked and participated. It was a very good turnout indeed! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

...and a pox upon those who made my run look so darn slow! laugh.gif

Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is usually a result of opening a .log file when the corresponding .dat file is not in the same folder. You must have the .dat file with the task in it, and it must be named identically to the .log file. This is done automatically when the viewer saves a flight. Both files are necessary to view a flight.

The file names are all identical for each individual flight result. Anyway I got them to display by loading the .dat and .log files individually.

Another subject:

I`m puzzled as to why I didn`t have ridge lift at the last part of leg 1 and the first part of leg 2. I thought I had everything from the Mifflin2005 pkg. loaded, including Kris`s Mifflin mesh.

Regards,

Bud Fuechtmann

Hi All,

A little late, but a very big thank-you to Kris,Chris,Don and every-one else who contributed to putting the race together and/or managing the contest.

I'm sorry I didnt get my problems sorted out earlier so that I too, could have contributed by competing effectively. thumbsdown.gif

I did eventually manage to get around, but am still persevering and only now are my times getting more or less, competitive. dry.gif

And there-in lies the reason for my appreciation of the competition. It is proving to be an excellent learning exercise, not only in the acquisition of virtual soaring skill, but also in the management of my FS9 soaring software.

Once again a big thank-you thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

cheers

andrew(hiNRG)