Mifflin Ridge Run

Guest Don Hamilton

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

It is only 4 days to the closing deadline and I have only received one race log. Since this is an informal race I have extended the closing date one week. This race will close Sun. 3 April, 2005, at 2400 GMT.

Cheers, smile.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Andy,

Only one race log per sailplane type will be accepted from a pilot. If you have already submitted a flight log for a specific sailplane type, it canot be upgraded. Sorry.

Cheers, biggrin.gif

Hi Don,

This race will close Sun. 3 April, 2005, at 2400 GMT.

You just set the moment when you'll receive all the thousands of logs at the same time, flooding your mailbox, maybe crashing your system for a couple of weeks, and for sure being arrested for collecting data from all over the world...

At this point Don, I suggest you set a fee of two $ per log file, this will reduce the avalanche...

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I tried to improve my time with the Blanik yesterday and I ended in a corn field after almost two hours sweating (I tried to generate more lift with a heater located just below the computer... it doesn't work at all believe me! laugh.gif )

Cheers ! thumbsup.gif

I tried to improve my time with the Blanik yesterday and I ended in a corn field after almost two hours sweating (I tried to generate more lift with a heater located just below the computer... it doesn't work at all believe me! laugh.gif )

Hey Norby,

that heater generated a bad sinking air, and I had to land at the next corn field.

Don't try it next week, Don was too kind, but next week is our dead line

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifhuh.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots

You early birds are in luck. I accidently deleted your Mifflin Race logs. You will have to resubmit them. I didn't have a chance to look at them. What a shame. Be mindful of the new deadline ( 3 April).

Cherrio, bricks.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

It has been brought to my attention that the latest version of the flight recorder does not eliminate the paused sections of a flight. Be sure to fly the race with no pauses or wipe out the pauses with "NoPause" by David George before submitting race files.

Cheers, smile.gif

Trace,

The "no pause thingy" has not been released yet, we are trying to sort out the right thing to do with additional seconds the sim seems to put in from time to time.

If the pause remover were to be used for the race it should be applied to all race logs (fortunatly this should not too hard as it can process multiple logs in one go) as it will remove the fs2004 extra seconds too.

Dave

There were other inconsistencies as well that would show up here and there and it is now being considered as to whether FS time or system time should ultimately be the absolute time reference in logging flights.

I deliberately sent in my log unmodified since this had not been decided, nor was it planned for use in this race.

This has all been discussed and investigated to some degree in the protected forum, but it seems like the "cat's outta the bag" now. I'd suggest that we open up this discussion when the race is completed. In the mean time, fly the course without pauses and submit the log as it is originally saved by the viewer.

Since we're still not 100%sure if the "no pause" utility is doing exactly what might be needed in every instance, there's no reason for its distribution at this time- it could in fact lead to unfair advantage in some cases.

Just fly and have fun...remember, this is an informal race. We'll tackle the more technical issues one at a time.

BTW...I'd sure like to see more folks setting up for the APS server (hint, hint!). We've all been crying for more multis, so get with it! This is a great opportunity and a wonderful courtesy by our French friends who do LOTS of multi flying. C'mon, folks...it's a great way to fly cool.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Chris and Dave,

Ooops, sorry about that, I didn't mean to let the cat out of the bag. I've not been able to get into the beta forum for quite awhile now. Seems I lost the password again and it won't let me in as a staff member so I don't really know what is going on.

Don bonk.gifconfused_smile.gifeyepop.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

The Mifflin Ridge Run race is officially closed. Submitted log files will be examined and the results will be posted as soon as possible.

Cheers, smile.gif

I finally turned the race with the Blanik. But with this bird, you need to forget about flying straight to the turnpoint. 1:35 isn't too bad I think.

I hope I sent the files on due time.

Great challenge thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Norby

Guest Don Hamilton

Norby,

I have your files. I am scoring the race now. I should have the results up tomorrow.

Cheers, smile.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

BTW

I have no race files for Trace Lewis (1026), Simone (1354), Mic (1357), nor Tuukka Tinkala (1318).

Hi Don,

I flew the race only twice because of an important workload until end of april. sad.gif

And I outlanded twice ... biggrin.gif

Will do my best for the next race !

Thank you for the organisation.

Hi All,

I have at last managed to complete Mifflin.

I can't honestly say that it was particularly enjoyable.

The aircraft I flew was the ASW28 (forget it in anything with lower performance).

Yes I did cheat; I turned up the wind to 24 kts and flew under power lines and through a few trees.

It was a real sweaty palms job with little height gained and no thermal assistance.

What I find is, that by the time I have twisted and turned, whilst TAB-W ing, chasing invisible thermals, I am on the deck.

But at least I can say I have flown it.

Regards

Tony

I think your comment Tony just proves that CCS and sspecially the thremals simulation is close to the reality.

The ridges are almost too easy way to fly a glider in FS. Thermals at least require "feeling" what happens. And this is almost real.

I remember my first flights when I was just a machine pilot, not yet an apprentice bird (which is still to come...). I hated missing so many lifts where I should have gained 3000fts. Turning left when it was right, waiting too long to turn, loose my concentration and spiral in sink,... etc... mad.gifmad.gif

This also happens with CCS, but if you try it for two consecutive hours with slight wind, then you'll start gaining height (use the Ctrl-W and E requires fingers education too). cool.gif I gained 1200 ft in one lift on the third leg of the Mifflin course, enough to reach the finish line with the Blanik, and it was much faster than on the ridge.

But of course, with 24 kts of wind, lifts are almost horizontal and there's no way to get centered.

I think this race was a good one, and yes... a hard and selective one. thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

I would like to thank Don and Kriss for their job.

I really enjoyed the contest and the spirit used to organize it.

Mine were not good results, I think my polars were a bit updated; so Mifflin was an occasion to learn more

Thanks again.

Stefano

Great job Don, thanks for the perfect organisation.

And thanks to Kris too. I dont know why he's so silent these days, hopefully it's only a transient busy period.

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifrolleyes.gif

Norby

... Kris too. I dont know why he's so silent these days,

I am sure he can't type, cause he is still laughing, due to my scores. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifchairfall.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif