CCS2004 Mifflin Race

Guest Don Hamilton

Guest Don Hamilton

Kris Feldmann has created a CCS FS2004 race for the Mifflin, Penn. area. This will be an informal, offline race much like the Sequachie Valley Challenge. The race page should be posted about 21 Jan., and the race will run from 26 Feb. - 27 Mar.

Cheers, smile.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the snow fallen today and the forecast for the week end, I'll be having some introductory flying in the Mifflen area. I don't even know where it is...

Could someone tell me:

- an Airfield in the area (and scenery if needed)

- Some turnpoints (GPS-NAV.dat file) in case the one provided at the time of the Sequatchie Valley was not sufficient,

- a Site where I can download a mesh for the area

Thanks smile.gif

Norby

Norby,

Regarding Mifflen, it is in Pennsylvania and I have a GPS file for the area if you'll provide your e-mail address. Justin Tyme has a fairly large number of files of 38 m mesh for the NE United States (Appalachians & Northeast 38.2m Enhanced Terrain ) on the AVSIM website. Just do a search for Justin Tyme. Also, Kris has one on his site Kris.

If you'd prefer not to send your e-mail address, search for airports in FS using Mifflin County or Reedsville,PA as the city.

Bill email is

wbomball@charter.net

Greetings all,

Here is some info to get you started:

The race will start and end near Mifflin County Airport (KRVL) in Reedsville, Pennsylvania, USA.

Waypoints

Here is the official turnpoint .dat file for the real-world Region 2, 2005 contest (at Mifflin).

Scenery

Here is a 30m terrain mesh (42MB) which matches the official slope lift data for the race. This is same file Bill linked to in the above post. I have also created a landclass file (17KB) covering the same area. Land classification files tell the simulator what covers the ground at each point (trees, farmland, city, etc.). The file linked above is made from real-world data and is more detailed than the default.

Lift

The race will use CCS version 3.0. The official lift is that produced by the slope data processing team. The race package will contain the CCS library files which cover just the race area, but to get started now install either mifflin_5+14-20.zip from the SOAR FTP server (covering the same area as the scenery files above) or the smaller mifflin_2x2.zip file (also on the FTP server).

Weather

Use a north-westerly wind of about 15-20 knots for good slope conditions.

Have fun!

Kris

Hey Kris,

I've been there yesterday and this morning... for business... Actually I was in Altoona, not very far from Mifflin. I did appreciate the landscape (with a bright sun on a white snow this morning). cool.gif

Thanks for the links !

Guest Don Hamilton

Kris, and everybody,

We just got back from Fairbanks tonight. We have been plagued, and delayed by -60 F degree weather. We can't travel in those temperatures. Also #1 heating oil starts to gel and oil stoves become useless. Have to use wood heat, which means cutting wood......more work. thumbsdown.gif

Anyway, we will try to have the Mifflin Race Page up in the next day or so with all the above information on it. I had hoped to have it up by 21 Jan. but obviously we are behind schedule. Sense the race starts Sat. 26 Feb. , there is plenty of time.

Cheers, smile.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Pilots,

"The Mifflin Ridge Run" page has been posted with all the pertinent information included. It can be accessed from the SOAR Index page, or by this url:

http://www.virtualsoaring.org/FLRaces/info..._ridge_run.html

Be sure to sign up for the race as soon as possible. The deadline for signing up is 23 Feb. 2005, 2400 hr. GMT.

I still need a few really good digital soaring photos of the Mifflin area to put on the page. Three photos would be good, six would be even better. They need to be 800 X 600 pixels, real sharp, and clear. I would like one photo to be of the Mifflin County Airport, of whatever airport glider pilots use there. I would really appreciate some help here. My addy is don@virtualsoaring.org

Thanks, smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Don Hamilton

Does someone have "A Fine Week Of Soaring" in DVD form? I have Juan's permission to use the sound clip from it on the Mifflin Race page. If someone who has the DVD would make a copy of the sound files and send them to me, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

I still cant get to the FTP page!?!

Trace, there is no "page"... it is a standalone file repository, that is generally accessed using an FTP app like WS_FTP or Cute_FTP.

You should however be able to access it through your web browser though, by using this link:

ftp://anonymous%40virtualsoaring%2Eorg@ft...S_TerrainFiles/

user posted image

Greetings everyone,

The official race package is available here (1.1 MB zip). Please let me know if you find any problems so I can fix them before the start of the race.

Good luck!

Kris

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

The Mifflin Race files have been added to the Mifflin Ridge Run race page. Be sure to download these files and try them out to be sure they are working for you and to avoid any problems at the beginning of the race.

There is a little more than 48 hours before the deadline to register for the race. If you are planning to fly this race please register as soon as possible. Remember, there must be at least 2 entries / aircraft type to declare a race.

Cheers, smile.gif

Don

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

Registration for the Mifflin Ridge Run Race is officially closed. Now, having said that, if some frantic bird were to come crashing in here with smoking tail feathers desperate to enter the race, I am sure we could work something out sense this is an informal event. I am making up the race/plane rosters now.

Cheers, biggrin.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

The Mifflin Ridge Run is open. Actually, it opened about six hours ago. Sorry, I got side tracked! Like I said, it is informal.

Lets have fun. smile.gif

Yes, that's it. As it says in the README:

Today's task is a 114 km triangle from Mifflin County Airport to Mill

Creek, then to Penns Cave and back to Mifflin County.

Although both the start and finish are "at the airport", technically they are not the same point, which is how it is in the real-world.

Kris