Sequatchie Valley Challenge

Guest Don Hamilton

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Don Hamilton

Norby,

Absolutley, The whole purpose of SOAR is to help develop and promote virtual soaring and share it with the world.

Cheers, smile.gif

A little question about the race:

the starting gate must be passed at 2000 feet or below, but the turnpoints and the finish gate have a maximum altitude to passed?

Thanks

I shall be flying the SVC task tonight in a LS7.

I shall be be online from 1930 UK time 1830 GMT onwards.

I shall be using the ambaron.net fs9 public server with the ID of Andy 1248.

ambaron.net also supports teamspeak and I have created a channel called SVC.

If anyone is interested in joining me I will see them on task! Time is OK for UK and Europe but may not be so for US flyers.

It will be interesting to see how CCS works in multi!

Ok, I think I have a problem. I was looking on my Trace (no pun biggrin.gif ) and noticed it said I started at 3700MSL when I know for a fact that I was around 2600MSl and the as it said arrival, I pulled up to around 3100MSL. You can see a dive and then the pull onthe trace but they are right after the start line (on the trace). When I really started a dive .5 miles out and pulled at .2 miles. It shows the whole dive and pull right after the start? Is that a problem and If it is, how many points? And it also did not seem to count my finnish!

Don,please take a look.

I have flown for about 2.5 hours on ambaron.net in the Sequatchie Valley. Trace (Skyguy) joined me for a while. We both got thermals but unable to say if they were in the same place.

I had mic problems and the teamspeak did not work for me, I could hear Trace OK. Teamspeak was the same server (ambaron.net) we made our own channel (SVC).

I will have another go tomorrow night at 1930 (UK), 1830 (GMT) for about 2 hours.

Weather stayed unchanged during session.

You can see a dive and then the pull onthe trace but they are right after the start line (on the trace). When I really started a dive .5 miles out and pulled at .2 miles.

By playing around with the viewer's "set radius around turnpoint" feature I see that the mark in the altitude graph for each turnpoint is set at the first point which crosses into the cylinder around the turnpoint. Since the turnpoint radius is 0.3 nm, you'll want to bottom out at 0.3 and then pull up. Also, make sure no part of your trace crosses the circle prematurely.

Kris

"simo80" asked...

...the turnpoints and the finish gate have a maximum altitude to passed?

No, you can cross the turpoints and finish gate at any altitude.

Andy commented...

We both got thermals but unable to say if they were in the same place.

The Sequatchie Valley Challenge race is set up as an "offline", or single-player, race. For the thermals to be in the same place for multiple pilots in a multi-player session, CCS would have to be in multi-player mode, and each pilot would need to be using the same CCS multi-player data file ("ccs-multi.dat"). Hopefully we'll duplicate the SVC race as a multi-player race soon, but the current one is for single-player use only. Check out the CCS user guide for more details about CCS and multi-player use.

Good luck in the race,

Eric

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

I am extending the race deadline to Sunday, December 5 at 24:00 GMT.

This will give pilots the time needed to participate in more races with other sailplanes.

Good luck to all and may the lift be with you!

Cheers, smile.gif

Don

Eric, Thanks for the reply about multi CCS, it is what I thought was the case.

Don, Thanks for the deadline extension gives me more time to submit another entry.

last night's multi session was interesting, nice to see someone else when flying.

Guest Don Hamilton

Trace,

The stats. showed you crossing the start gate at 2019 feet. You needed to be 19 feet lower. If this were an official race I would have to DQ you for crossing start gate too high. However, this is an informal race, so I will allow it. I might caution you however not to push things too much by crossing start gates 2,000 ft. - 3,000 ft. above the max start gate altitude. There are limits to my good graces. LOL

Cheers, biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew it in the ASW-28 and made it around!

50 minutes with an average speed of 48.6 kts

Don, please let me know when you get the files.

Anyone want to get together sometime for a trip around the course together?

QUOTE (skyguy95 @ Nov 26 2004, 12:33 PM)

Just flew it in the ASW-28 and made it around!

50 minutes with an average speed of 48.6 kts  

Cool! That is some awesome speed, Trace!

Thanks!

I was jumping up and down and smilling for a while biggrin.gif

I had VERY good luck with the thermals had two over 5 knots and got to 4500 and 4800 in 2 thermals. Final glider from Tp2 around to finnish. Last leg was 112.3 average kts happy.gif

Well guys,

all is done.

I would like to thank all virtual glider enthusiasts.

The challenge was really... an hard challenge... thumbsup.gif

but I landed my two gliders on that field between the Valley's trees.

Now, a question rises... when the next... and where?

Meanwhile, I'll be back to Swisse Alps to continue the TDS tour. cool.gif

Have a nice night beer-toast.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

The Sequatchie Valley Challenge is closed. I am working on the logs, and will post results when I am finished.

Cheers, smile.gif

Thanks to all for organising the challange.

Great fun.

I failed to get a flght in with the Duo Discus, each time I took so long to get round it did not bother posting it.

I found it impossible to get anywhere near the 50mins time that some have done!

When is the next one?

Yeah it was great and hard challange.

Thanks for everyone who organizing it. thumbsup.gif

Maybe we fly again some races from WGC2003?

I create scenery of Leszno (EPLS) airfield.

Cheers

Martin

Help me please. How i can add screen to message? confused.gif

Help me please. How i can add screen to message? confused.gif

Hi Martin,

This thread is in the "News from the Staff" forum and thus only staff members may post attachments. This is why I started a separate thread for screenshots. In that forum when composing your message you should see controls for attaching a file to your post.

Kris