Sequatchie Valley Challenge

Guest Don Hamilton

Is these anyone else intending to fly the K6e.

I have flown 2 legs of the task with the K6e, kitted out the glider with a new set of instruments, doe's anyone need the coordinates to set new instruments in the correct position

Do you have to load the polar curve before you send the info to the gps dat file, where would be the best place to look for these.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain, Norby. I snapped at my wife Sunday over nothing a few minutes after landing out short of the second turnpoint. A little TOO real...? Good luck on your next attempt. Try the Weihe or the KA-6E. The thermals feel much larger in these slower gliders.

"fssoaring", I'd like to fly the KA-6E, but I don't know if I'll have time. Let me know if you don't get any other takers, and I'll try to get in at least one attempt in it. No, you can load the polar curve before OR after sending the task to the GPS-NAV. I haven't found a polar for the KA-6E, but I took a stab at defining one myself last weekend. If you want to try it, let me know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I have found the following polar curve not sure if this is correct.

ka6e, -0.000586, 0.076301, -2.995221, 317.5, 15.0, 35.74, 65.94

When I start FSZwever click on the polar link a list comes up with 4 entries, all of these have zero's everywhere, I hadve then tried to edit this manually try to add this and all that happens is an entry is added but everything has zero's as before, any idea's or is it something that I'm doing wrong.

I have asked the author who designed the ka6e to edit the panel and update the instrument's.

Geoff #317

Hi Geoff,

That polar is for the 2k2 version of the Ka6 flying in fs2k2. Whether it has any relevance when flying the newer Ka6 in fs9 is anybody's guess. At the moment I don't have time to measure new polars (sorry!).

I hadve then tried to edit this manually try to add this and all that happens is an entry is added but everything has zero's as before, any idea's or is it something that I'm doing wrong.

To install a new polar: Paste the polar into (FS_ROOT)\LNAV_polarlist.dat using a plain-text editor. Each line in LNAV_polarlist.dat should contain one polar in it's entirety.

Kris

These have been posted separately in various threads, but I'll paste them here for the benefit of those flying in this contest. These are L-Nav polars for some of the fs9 sailplanes which people have entered. Some have multiple polars representing different ballast weights in models which use "station load" ballast (instead of fuel ("water")). The naming convention is (name)_(ballast-lbs), so for example, "discus_cs_250" is the polar for the Discus CS when it is carrying 250 lbs. of ballast. All of these are for fs9 only.

(The usual disclaimer applies, as always.)

asw28,-0.000140262,0.0210352,-1.30645,294.8,8.9,46.0,96.51
libelle,-0.000368818,0.0428203,-1.70456,266.7,10.7,37.91,67.98
ls-7_0,-0.00012442,0.00969214,-0.457706,326.6,10.7,51.43,60.65
ls-7_100,-0.00011659,0.00969214,-0.48844794,371.9,10.7,0.0,0.0
ls-7_352,-0.00010196,0.00969214,-0.55850961,486.3,10.7,0.0,0.0
weihe_0,-0.000335635,0.0333649,-1.31401,267.17,20.44,32.16,62.57
weihe_127,-0.00030442,0.03336490,-1.44875258,324.8,20.44,0.0,0.0
discus_cs_0,-0.000235463,0.0376432,-2.23513,311.62,10.68,33.72,97.43
discus_cs_250,-0.00020162,0.03764320,-2.61031432,425.0,10.68,0.0,0.0
discus_cs_471,-0.00018136,0.03764320,-2.90186557,525.3,10.68,0.0,0.0

Kris

Hi Kris,

Hope this doe's not sound a dumb question.

I have now edited some polars into the LNAV_polarlist, I then start Viewer and select the polar icon and can see the entries I have made.

How do you select a polar, do you have to then send the info to the gps dat file, not too sure where to go from here.

I can get the ka6e polar in ther bottom part of the Polar Coefficients window, if I press select nothing happens, but if press display the I can se the ka6e poalr in the Polar(s) window, not sure what to do from here.

Something that I have noticed is in the LNAV_polarlist there was 4 entries every line had zero's everywhere, but when I startup Viewer and in the Polar's window there is also 4 area's where polar's can be displayed, but the only one I can see is the ka6e.

Any help will be welcome.

Geoff

Geoff,

Use the Arrows at the bottom to get the POLAR you want into the window at the bottom; then press SELECT. That's all there is to it. If you want to make sure that it was SELECTed, go to the Root Folder of FS9 and open the LNAV_polar file to make sure that the numbers are correct. (it is just a text file)

Bill

Ill give it a go in the K6.

Tried it in the Discus 2B today and landied out in the city right over the 1st turnpoint. I got the turnpoint at 5 feet AGL over the mountain side in a 15 degree left bank at MCA then snapped rudder in and was about 800 feet above the city. The Duo was a lot easier to get around in than the 2b.

Hi everybody, pilots.

I tried the race, but it's very hard. Every time i land at 5 km to first turnpoint, but i continue to try for do a grat result... wink.gif

But i have a question:

when i open the flight viewer to see my flight, i can't see the map of my flight, but i see only a black line.

It's normal? please help me...

Hi!

Few minutes ago i finished my first flight at Sequatchie. It's really hard. I fly LS-7. My time is not so good 1 hour and 33 minutes and it gives only 48 km/h. I'll try once again because i cross gate 6 ft above mad.gif . Somebody fly LS-7 - i want to compare results?

Greatings from Leszno EPLS Poland

Martin

That polar is for the 2k2 version of the Ka6 flying in fs2k2. Whether it has any relevance when flying the newer Ka6 in fs9 is anybody's guess.

Here's the polar I assembled simply using three data points collected in flight (FS 2004) from the instruments and then using to solve for the polar coefficients. I don't even know what the last four numbers mean, so I copied them from another glider. I think all that really matters for speed-to-fly are the first three numbers (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

KA-6E,-0.0004049,0.0406709,-1.7173307,333.3,11.1,0.0,0.0

Oah !

I tried to fly the challenge with the Ka6 the past night ... and I finished ! yes, incredible no ?

But the result is not really beautiful : 1h30, average speed 51 km/h.

The thermals are small and not so strong !

This morning, I checked how to send the files ... and I saw that I was the only one who select to fly the Ka6 ! What a stupid frenchy guy !!!!

No matter, it was interesting to fly in these not so easy conditions.

Thanks for the organisation guys !

Here's the polar I assembled... I don't even know what the last four numbers mean...

KA-6E,-0.0004049,0.0406709,-1.7173307,333.3,11.1,0.0,0.0

Hi Eric,

The format is:

• name,a,b,c,mass_kg,area_m2,glide_ratio,V_max_glide_kmh

The coefficients need to be metric (km/h,m/s). The mass and area should represent the conditions at which the coefficients were measured and for "wet-ballasted" gliders it should be the dry weight. The L-Nav uses these to adjust the polar in flight for the current weight (thus it accurately changes the polar if you drop ballast). The glide ratio and speed values are only used in the Viewer app and thus can be set to zero.

Kris

Thanks, Kris. In that case, this polar may not work right, as I "stole" the mass and area numbers from another glider. If anyone wants to use this polar, then they should find the KA-6E mass and area, and replace these numbers in the polar I posted.

Eric

Thermal problem with ccs can't find any lift at all.

I have re downloaded the current version of ccs and installed the files into my FS root directory, first time I had installed ccs and when I start FS then run the ccs program then unpause FS ccs starts as it should.

When using the cheat keys Tab+W or Tab+E to show where the thermals are when I enter a thermal the vario instrument moves up as it should, sometimes I will get thrown out of the thermal because maybe not turning tight enough.

I then had a problem with the ASW28 this glider was flying in a way as if the CG was far too forward the control stick was full back and still flying approx 70-75 kts even with the joystick be re callibrated.

I decided to reinstall FS and also place the ccs files again into my FS root directory, but this time when I start FS and ccs, when if I press the cheat keys to see where the thermals are and when I enter one the ccs line information at the top said you are now in the thermal now try and find the centre of it.

Even though ccs is indicating that I'm in the thermal I can't even find any lift at all.

What do you think the problem is, could it be something that I've done wrong.

Any help will be welcome.

Geoff

SOAR #317

Hi All,

I have permission to redesign the ka6e instrument panel from Wolfgang to update the panel with GPS and LNAV and to add some new instruments, once Wolfgang has had a look at this I will see if I can upload this to the Virtual Soaring site with the correct set of polar coordinates.

Geoff

Hi Guys,

I made my first official race attempt tonight, flying the ASW28. (Of course I took a few "test drives" around the course while fine-tuning the course and conditions, but this was my first attempt of the contest.) I got lucky and found the best thermal of the flight not too far off the course line on the way to the first turnpoint. Fortunately I managed to stay above the ridges the whole flight, until I began final glide from the last turnpoint. I had problems with my GPS rounding the second turnpoint, though, and ended up sweeping way wide of the course line. That probably cost me close to a minute. I obviously climbed a little too much on the third leg of the course, too, as I had to speed way up on final glide to burn off my altitude. That probably cost me several minutes. I'm sure someone can get a better time in the ASW28 if they master their GPS and altitude planning.

Good luck,

Eric

I did it too.... today. thumbsup.gif

No outlanding this time, but a really pittyful time... biggrin.gif

I arrived with 600 ft spare height because:

I was using the ASW28 polar with a Duo Discus dry,

The setting of the arrival height in the L-Nav was on 100 meters AGL (Which is stupid when you arrive at 120 kts)

This was the official attempt, and I sent the files to Don, but just for the glory, I'll try it again avoiding these mistakes.

Was not easy, but actually it's another kinda fun, which requires a little bit of luck and much concentration.

Thanks Eric ! thumbsup.gif

(I still think CCS exagerates unrealistically the sink when turning confused.gif )

Congratulations. I tend to come in high, too. I haven't figured out yet just how high I need to be at the last turnpoint in order to have the most efficient glide to goal.

(I still think CCS exagerates unrealistically the sink when turning)

CCS has no idea whether or not you're turning. You can be assured that the air's doing the same thing whether your wings are level or in a 90-degree bank. Kris' earlier explanation (imperfect aircraft modeling of sink rate while banked) is probably right.

Eric

How is it then that I never noticed that before ?

Maybe the Duo Discus is not that good ...

I'll investigate this... with and without CCS and different gliders.

Cheers,

Norby beer-toast.gif

Don, Eric,

Mic and I, both members of SOAR and FFVVV would like to forward the Sequatchie Challenge to the FFVVV so that they can taste it too.

We think CCS represents an interesting alternative to our current bgls.

There's no intention to challenge this race, but to share this technology we both have appreciated here.

I hope we'll get your agreement. wink.gif

Cheers again,

Norby (and Mic) thumbsup.gif