Sequatchie Valley Challenge

Guest Don Hamilton

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

The deadline for submitting entries for the Sequatchie Valley Challenge is 5 Nov. 2400 Hrs. GMT.

The race will start 8 Nov., 0000 Hrs. GMT.

All race files (.log, and .dat) must be submitted by 21 Nov., 2400 Hrs., GMT.

More information to follow.

Cheers, smile.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Don,

I sent my registration message few days ago but without my soar # (not yet received)...

In addition, I forgot to precise my country : France.

I hope my registration is valid !

Thank you in advance

Guest Don Hamilton

Pilots,

You will notice that there is a race roster on the Sequatchie Valley Challenge race page listing races by sailplane type. You will also notice that some sailplane types only have one pilot entry. Remember that a race is not officially scheduled unless there are at least two pilots entered for a particular sailplane type. Sense this race is an informal one, pilots may contact one another privately, and agree on a particular sailplane type for a race, then contact me to schedule a race for that particular sailplane type. This can be done anytime during the race time frame. However, there can be only one race per sailplane type.

Cheers, smile.gif

Hi Don - maybe a bit of a dumb question confused.gif - but isn't this an offline race - so don't really get the bit about

'Since this race is an informal one, pilots may contact one another privately, and agree on a particular sailplane type for a race, then contact me to schedule a race for that particular sailplane type. This can be done anytime during the race time frame. However, there can be only one race per sailplane type. '

Surely we don't need to be racing at the same time?

or do you mean there will be one race for ASW28, one for Discus, one for Weihe ect. - just make sure we have got together and made sure there are at least 2 enteries per type?

Since nobody seems to want to fly the ASH25M also sad.gif I suppose I'll have to fly 'little wings'

Also for future events (thinking ASH25M, ASW22BLE, Nimbus 4M, 4DM) - a question I've asked before - does Max's recorder make a trace of engine use?

Hi Don,

I have registered just to fly the ASW28, but would like to possabily fly the following gliders, Discus 2b, LS7, ASH25M, and maybe the Duo Discus, but this is not any confirmation, will I still be able to fly these gliders as the registration has been closed.

When you fly a task with a particular type and submit the files, but you fly the task again but this time with a better average speed can this also be submitted or can you only just submit one flight for one glider type.

Hi wormburner,

I would like to fly the ASH25M in the comp having flown the full size ASH25 but would like to look how this version handles. Is the ASH25M available for download, I have had a look at the French site but not sure if this is the correct one where the ASH is available.

Cheers

Geoff #317

Guest Don Hamilton

Hi fssoaring

or do you mean there will be one race for ASW28, one for Discus, one for Weihe ect. - just make sure we have got together and made sure there are at least 2 enteries per type?

Yes.

When you fly a task with a particular type and submit the files, but you fly the task again but this time with a better average speed can this also be submitted or can you only just submit one flight for one glider type.

You can only submit 1 flight per sailplane.

Hi wormburner,

That is correct.

Cheers smile.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Hello Pilots,

The Sequatchie Valley Challenge officially opened at 00:00 Hr. GMT Nov. 8 with 7 races declared.

Cheers, smile.gif

Hello Don, I'm Simone, the member n° 1354.

I want to use the ASW28, because the glider that I chose (DG 202) is not included in the declared of the race.

Is it possible?

Bye

The Sequatchie Valley Challenge officially opened at 00:00 Hr. GMT  Nov. 8 with 7 races declared.

Thanks Don,

and please, could you check the file sequatchie.zip.

I tried to download it along the last 30 minutes (21:30 GMT)

but it seems to be corrupted.

Its actual size is 48 Kb.

Hope this helps all challengers.

coffee.gif

I downloaded and unzipped OK. biggrin.gif

Tested and ... sorry, but I think I'll resign... wink.gif

I've been unable to center correctly any of the 10 or 12 lifts I've found.

Lifts are weak, diameters are small, and everytime I turn, I loose 450 fpm. ending in a negative variometer. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Is it the same for all of you too?

Norby,

I agree!! confused_smile.gif I flew from the Start Gate to the first turnpoint at an average of 8.9 kts last night and tonight was even worse. Only once did I make it above starting altitude and that was in lift 3.5 miles from the Start Gate. Thought maybe it was just me!!

Bill

Guest Don Hamilton

Eric said the thermals were small and weak. Kris is redoing the Baby Albatross for FS2K4, and it should be flying in the near future. It will thermal in really tight circles. Will try it as soon as I get it. Remember, this is a challenge. Ohhh Kris, You may hold the key to winning this event. LOL

Cherrio, biggrin.gif

Don

Ah okay !

I'm feeling better reading you !

I flew with a lot af difficulties, a very low average speed and a quite strange flight profile (that's all excepted a straight line !)

I landed 10 km before the second turnpoint...

OK... OK... It is definitely a challenge. At least I now know what challenge means... biggrin.gif

Ok for weak lifts, this happens all the time in real life. dry.gif

OK for narrow lifts, this happens all the time, and it's why we have to center the lifts correctly. cool.gif

But where is that sink coming from when I simply turn at 30 degrees inclination ? thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Norby

Ooh, now I'm dying to try this! Eric said he made it in 1 hour, which is 76 km/h! I haven't tried it yet, but I was a bit disappointed to see the cheat key turned on in the ini file. I generally fly with it off since it is "not realistic." Now I'll have to learn how to use it effectively in order to be competitive.

But where is that sink coming from when I simply turn at 30 degrees inclination ? thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

A side effect of CCS is that its more realistic thermals point out some issues with the current crop of sailplanes. Most sailplanes for FS (okay, all of them) have far too much Cm_q which shows up when you try to turn tightly. In Eric's small, weak thermals you'll want to bank 45 degrees or more in the fast ships, but you'll find the nose getting rediculously heavy. I bet that with some sailplanes it just won't be possible to climb effectively in the small thermals.

Don, you're right. The Baby with its hang-glider-like speed range might be a good match for this challenge.

Kris

I thought I did terrible when I flew last night in the Duo. I did 40.5 kts average in exactly 1 hour. I Had a very hard time thermalling also and thought it was just me. Whenever I tried to do a moderatly steep bank, the vario would go neg. So most was outside of the core with a very shallow bank. I also did the last 2 legs without thermalling and did a straight in for 23, from 3,500MSL at the 3rd point.

Where do I send IGC and what should I call it?

I landed 10 km before the second turnpoint...

I told ya some beginners (as I am) will be lost in the bush. biggrin.gif

Hey guys, how many ASW 28 do we have in SOAR's hangar confused.gif

May be we have to refund some money when all the contests will end. confused_smile.gif

"Soar high? soar safe" huh.gif

Stefano

Guest Don Hamilton

Trace,

Where do I send IGC and what should I call it?

Send the igc, log, & dat files zipped to don@virtualsoaring.org

Name the file sequatchie-(your soar#).zip (without the parenthesis, spaces, of course)

Please name the igc, log, & dat files the same. Thanks! wink.gif

Hi Guys,

I'm grinning to read your flight reports. I did fly the course in the ASW-28 before uploading the race package (to make sure it's possible), but it certainly is a challenge. (I think my best ASW-28 time was in the 60-70 min. range.) I like a good challenge, and I find that working on my thermal centering technique is more worthwhile to my typical real world flying (which is 99% recreational - not competition) than working on speed-to-fly and navigation. Soaring conditions in the eastern U.S. are known for weak thermals and less than astounding altitudes. I've tried to accurately represent eastern U.S. soaring conditions so you can get a real-world feel for soaring in the area. I hope you won't give up, even if you sink out a time or two.

Try the Weihe or the KA-6, either of which will give you easier climbs. Be patient on the long, slow glides in either of these, though, and be willing to sacrifice flying the straightest course for being able to simply stay in the air.

Good Luck,

Eric

Hi Kris,

I haven't tried it yet, but I was a bit disappointed to see the cheat key turned on in the ini file. I generally fly with it off since it is "not realistic."

Kris, feel free not to use the cheat key! biggrin.gif In which case leave the landing gear out ! thumbsup.gif

Kris, feel free not to use the cheat key! biggrin.gif In which case leave the landing gear out ! thumbsup.gif

Well, you'll be in a great position to tell me if I do! (below and behind!) laugh.gif

beer-toast.gif

OK.... OK...

I tried again... and I tried hard...

Guess what ? sad.gif outlanded after the third turnpoint and an hour or so of a flat flight.

I give up thumbsdown.gif There's no way to have a positive vario when turning, and this drives me crazy.

Actually I found ONE serious lift which allowed climbing normally smile.gif . That's all. mad.gif

All the other lifts were just giving a positive vario in straight line. As soon as I turned even very smoothly with a very slight inclination, the vario dropped below zero.

With or without ballast just makes no difference.