Unreleased sailplanes

Guest Karen Hamilton

Guest Karen Hamilton

doh.gif It has been mentioned that there are 2 shots in this months screenshot competition that have an unreleased version of a sailplane in them. I apologize that I had not thought of this before when formulating the rules. uh-oh.gif In reality, an unreleased version is not fair to other competitors because it is not available to them to use in their shots, so should not be allowed.

In the future this will be the case and will be noted on the screenshot page. However, for this month because this is my error bonk.gif and the fact that this was not posted in the rules, I feel that these 2 entries will be allowed to remain in the competition.

After this month, unreleased versions of sailplanes, scenery, etc will not be considered as valid entries. Thank you for your understanding and I apologize for the error.

Guest Karen Hamilton

Ohhh, Max, don't worry!! How about a page that just shows unreleased sailplanes that we can keep updating with the latest info on the model.

The designer could then keep everyone posted as to features, expected release date, etc. Then pilots could look forward to what is coming!

We would make a direct link to it from the main index page so it would be easy to get to!!

What are your thoughts on this as an alternative to having them in the screenshot competition?

Guest Max Roodveldt

Of course I can't speak for other designers but giving out release dates isn't my idea of fun - it'll haunt you forever (or at least until christmas...)

It's much more fun discussing and showing progress on the message board for everyone to see. Best way to show everyone that getting it all together isn't an easy job. I liked the way it worked with the Astir - and right now the Genesis and the Sagitta are doing quite nicely...

I feel it's better to have a thread going than to put those unfinished planes on a seperate page - they might never leave it...

Guest Karen Hamilton

Hmmm, I see your point on that, was just thinking it might be nice to have an "In the Works" page with some screenshots of future sailplanes. Was not thinking that it would have a "deadline" or pressure to complete them, but you know far better than I how anxious pilots are for new planes.

I am happy to go either way, only concern is that other pilots do not feel that it is not fair since they do not have access to use those planes. On the other hand though is the fact that thousands of hours of work go into these designs and all for "FREE". You guys certainly deserve a few perks!!

How do the rest of you feel, is it ok to use unreleased sailplanes in the competition?? I am certainly open to whatever you guys want!

Guest Don Hamilton

Well, I was the one who suggested to Karen that we not allow unreleased sailplanes into the "screenshot contest", so everyone can blame me for that one. Actually the concept holds no water. All it does is prevent creative designers from displaying their work. We need to encourage their work, not hit them over the head for it. I think it makes little difference what plane you use in a screenshot. It's what you do with it that makes the real difference.

Unless there is overwhelming objection, we will just leave things the way they were. You can use any soaring related aircraft, and any sim you wish.

Don bonk.gif

I agree...let 'em use anything! It's the concept and composition of the shot that has the most merit. I don't think that if an asw20 were swapped for the ASW22 it would help or hurt the photographer's chances.

...and if a designer shows his plane before release, he's asking for 'trouble' anyway LOL...then folks will keep asking, "hey, when do I get to fly the XYZ?" biggrin.gif HAHAHA!

Guest tom eagles

laugh.gif hehehe i learned that lesson the hard way with the 4m, but i think dissallowing screenshots of upcoming models is a bad idea...

for example i personally think the iron thermal image of peters 22 is one of the most realistic images i have ever seen in FS..

But although max tried the public beta of the astir, which i also tried a few people who will remain nameless screwed it up! but i had a lot of requests for people to use it in the screenshot competition,, when i declined it for various reasons it was accpeted without question.

Yes it can cause problems realeasing beta or even alpha testig screenshots but in general all it does is eitrher create spam emails asking whencan i have it or interest in the design process...

just because its an unfinished model does not mean it shouldnt be accepted, after all its a glider/sailplane designed for fs and a screenshot of it in the sim

anyway enough ramblings from me..

Guest Karen Hamilton

thumbsup.gif Since several of you are in favor of being able to use unfinished models in screenshots, and Chris and Don feel the same, then we will leave it as it stands and they can be used in the future!

I just want the competition to be fair to everyone and for each pilot to have an equal chance at winning! beer-toast.gif

...besides...Anyone who doesn't think the current crop of aircraft don't look good enough could always make their own!!

(ah...wouldn't that be great if we had that many great planes?) biggrin.gif

Yes, it seems that we all agree that great screenshots are a result of photographic creativity, and that the actual plane, while not irrelevant by any means, will not make or break a great photo.

I can't wait till we have 12 winners to be used for a SOAR calendar in the Pilot's Shop! We could easily make one now, but having 12 winning shots would really make it special.

Having read through all of this thread, and also understand that no restrictions will be applied to plane or scenery. I can't help but comment on the phase "un-released planes". Can you clarify what this refers to. Is it planes that have been made available for download on the Soar site? Is it planes that have been made available for download anywhere on the net? Or does refer to some other release intrepretation?

Sorry for being pendantic, but glider downloads are available from many sources on the internet and it would help for me to know what is a released plane.

Guest Max Roodveldt

Andy,

a "released" plane is a plane available for download with the designer's consent (like on SOAR, SImFlight, AVSIM, ect.) while an "unreleased" plane is a plane shown either by the designer or made available by the designer to a pilot for fun, friendship or testing...

So this thread was all about Peter entering some screenshots of a plane he's still building (no pun intended) - an "unreleased" plane, while the others entered screenshots of planes available to everyone - "released" planes...

beer-toast.gif

Thanks Max for the clarification. I have got my version of Gmax working and have started on the tutorials. It is quite sobering and there is quite a variation of tutorials. I can see what you mean about the texture aspect, not looking foward to that bit! I am determined to progress if only to get a Slingsby glider flying. If I design the thing, I can asume it will be my work. I understand that if I use anything from elsewhere i.e. instruments, I need the OK of the instrument designer to use them prior to release to the world. Is it OK to modify the MS basic glider airfile?

I need a glass of wine smiley smile.gif

Guest Max Roodveldt

Andy,

If I design the thing, I can asume it will be my work...

that's the idea...

I understand that if I use anything from elsewhere i.e. instruments, I need the OK of the instrument designer to use them prior to release to the world...

it's a simple matter of courtesy - and almost always granted if asked - only exception would be payware...

Is it OK to modify the MS basic glider airfile...

they even encourage you too - it's in the SDK - but you better ask Kris - he does a better job... biggrin.gif

beer-toast.gif