Cheyenne Throttles Stuck

rennman

i have the go flight throttle quadrant...it works with the cheyenne,,at take off i give full power...after positive rate i pull the throttles back down and they stay at full power

thanks

is this immitating the real one..or is it a programming thing?

It is a programming thing. On the FSX version you get this frequently if you use engine anti-ice during takeoff, even if you stay below redline. Nothing to do about it but wait, the throttles will eventually come unstuck.

Tom

• Deputy Sheriffs
is this immitating the real one..or is it a programming thing?

either way...problem solved!

While I don't have this sim, the concept most certainly imitates real life. I have considerable time IRL with PT6 powered C-90 King Airs and the PT6 powered Cheyennes. I assure you the technique of going to around 60-70% torque, waiting for the engines to stabilize and equalize, and then pushing up to 100% is what you have to do. With experience, you can approximate the final setting and push initally to around 80%, but you're asking for directional control problems in the takeoff run (and a possible overtorque) if you try to go too high too soon. Depending on temperature and altitude (density altitude IRL), the actual lever position varies considerably. I've never taken off at such a high/hot condition that the power levers were all the way up, although there is a point (depending on the dash number of the engine) that this will occur.

Hope this helps.

It's nice that the Cheyenne simulates the real world in that you can overtorque the engines. However, the behavior the OP complains about - the throttles remain stuck at 100% after takeoff - is not real world.

Tom

It's nice that the Cheyenne simulates the real world in that you can overtorque the engines. However, the behavior the OP complains about - the throttles remain stuck at 100% after takeoff - is not real world.

Tom

Not sure if the Cheyenne simulates this, but you can compare what your experiencing with overspeeding and underspeeding the turbine. The Cheyenne has slow spoolup and spool down. When you advance the throttle to the stops, the simulation keeps running the turbine up past the indicated gauge stop points. Then when you want it to spool down after retarding the throttle it takes a while for the simulated turbine to spool down to where you want it.

I love the Cheyenne. It's a real good simulation. I never advance the throttles to the stops, at the most I will goto the redline on the torque meter. This keeps the turbine available for me to adjust when I need it. Same goes for retarding the throttles to the hardware stops. If you do that, and then try to advance the throttles, you will have to wait till the turbine spools up to see it indicated on the gauge. My config for takeoff is usually 90% to redline on the torque meter and in landing config it's around 100 to 250 foot pounds on the torque meter till 10 feet agl then I retard them to the stops. If you cut the throttles back too far and you get too slow on approach and find yourself needing to go missed, the turbines will take too long to spool and you will have to land.

JB

I like the engine simulation in the Cheyenne too. But just to be clear, the problem that I have experienced is not the turbine being slow to spool down. If you overspeed the engine on takeoff (or sometimes on normal takeoffs, without overspeeding but with engine anti-ice on), what may happen is that moving the throttle lever produces no engine response whatsoever for maybe 20-30 seconds. The engine stays firewalled. Then, suddenly, the throttles "unstick" and again behave normally.

It is clearly a programming issue, at least in the FSX version with hardware throttles. Not a big deal really, and will most likely never get fixed. But definitely nothing like real-world behavior.

Tom

I like the engine simulation in the Cheyenne too. But just to be clear, the problem that I have experienced is not the turbine being slow to spool down. If you overspeed the engine on takeoff (or sometimes on normal takeoffs, without overspeeding but with engine anti-ice on), what may happen is that moving the throttle lever produces no engine response whatsoever for maybe 20-30 seconds. The engine stays firewalled. Then, suddenly, the throttles "unstick" and again behave normally.

It is clearly a programming issue, at least in the FSX version with hardware throttles. Not a big deal really, and will most likely never get fixed. But definitely nothing like real-world behavior.

Tom

When the turbines got stuck, did you initially advance the throttles past the top peg on the torque meters?

JB