Antarctica X Preview (released, topic closed)

Sasa

That's a VERY good point. No, of course we weren't able to fix that because we just can't fix FSX believing the magnetic poles being the real poles also (sad but true).

We are currently compiling a list for the manual containing navigation programs that can help you out down there. I think FS Commander might be one of a few options.

Bests,

Sascha

Thanks Sascha.

I guess I must have thought I had read it. Luckily for me, I own FS Commander 9 so I'll be able to find out if it does help with navigation down there.

I think it is time for me to fly down there one last time, before Antarctica X gets released, so I refresh my memory on how bad the default Antarctica is in FSX. ;)

Mark

I think it is time for me to fly down there one last time, before Antarctica X gets released, so I refresh my memory on how bad the default Antarctica is in FSX. ;)

Just got a mail from the FS Commander devs telling me that they inserted a special feature for the pole regions some time ago already. As soon as you pass a latitude of about +/-82° it will switch to true bearings.

Bests,

Sascha

Very good scenery release some time ... great job again :excellenttext_s:

Euhhhh ... do you previous the European Belgian station "Princess Elisabeth" in this scenery ???

If you want see pictures for make it, that's easy ... not big airport, just a big station an little runway ...

write : "station princess elisabeth" in google ...

• Position: 71°57' Sud & 23°20' Est, on the rock Utsteinen, Nord from Nunatak d'Utsteinen, Terre de la Reine Maud, Antarctique.
  • Altitude: 1300 m
  • Distance from see : 190 km
  • http://www.antarcticstation.org/fr/

02654148Foto_big.jpg?page=5294

banner_002.jpg

belissima_test_001-590x0.jpg

antarctique-Braives1.jpg

Ok, to answer all questions about if "base XY" is in the package, here's a complete list I just compiled yesterday (the final list in the manual will have a few more details like runway dimensions, headings, frequencies etc...).

Also attached is a Google Earth file that shows you the locations of all airports and helipads done.

AirbaseList.png

AntarcticaX.kmz

• Upvote 1

Hiho again!

Dexter11929, in my opinion one of the guys with the very best FSX videos around on YouTube, just released a very short teaser featuring Rothera. More to come!

Great video. I think the next item I'll focus on will be the price of the product.

Seeing the work and quality, I actually expect it to be higher but I'm also very ok with it. However, would be nice to get some 'planning value' soon. :)

The first two pictures of Terra Nova Bay looks simply stunning with ice floating around in the bay.

I hope Antarctica X is released before Christmas as it will be one of the most exciting sceneries this year and I am looking forward to explore it.

Great video. I think the next item I'll focus on will be the price of the product.

Seeing the work and quality, I actually expect it to be higher but I'm also very ok with it. However, would be nice to get some 'planning value' soon. :)

We didn't intend to make it a Switzerland Professional in pricing but it was never planned to be a 20 EUR budget product neither. In the end we settled on a price that is VERY low considering the quality and content. I was actually surprised to see it in the shop already, but here it is - ready to be pre-ordered as a box:

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_list&shopfilter_category=Flight%20Simulation&s_design=DEFAULT

I guess the download will come a few days earlier and owners of the Twin Otter package will get a discount as promised earlier in this thread. I'm sure Mathijs can tell you more about it when he's back in office from Lelystad.

Bests,

Sascha

Here's yet another bunch of screenshots. This time I focused on some rather "special" perspectives of the McMurdo and Scott bases but I'm sure Nick will come up with some "real" screenshots soon.

NovemberFun01.jpg

Byrd Memorial

NovemberFun02.jpg

Watching the Sea Ice Runway in the distance

NovemberFun03.jpg

Derelict Junction Bus Stop

NovemberFun04.jpg

Who bought it?

NovemberFun05.jpg

Hazardous Waste Facility

NovemberFun06.jpg

Explosives Storage

NovemberFun07.jpg

Waste Management

NovemberFun08.jpg

Entering T-Site

NovemberFun09.jpg

Supermarket

NovemberFun10.jpg

Urgent business

NovemberFun11.jpg

KBA Office

NovemberFun12.jpg

On the way to Willy Field...

NovemberFun13.jpg

They have everything...

NovemberFun14.jpg

Kiwi Hazard

• Upvote 1

Im eagerly thinking what kind of real operations/missions can be performed here!

some real rescues under bad (Really bad) weather, personal transport to no accesible places, etc.

Really awaiting to buy & dl.

Cheers

Amazing screenshots, showing a lot of detail and love that went into the product.

Thanks for your answer on the pricing. If that's the final price it's very reasonable in my eyes. Others may hate me, but I'd even state that I've expected a higher one in regard to the work explained in this very thread.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the release. :)

One side note. I may have missed the humour, but the 'Kiwi crossing' sign doesn't show a kiwi but a roo. :mellow:

Hi there, will the summer/winter season be depicted somehow with the ice melting and growing? Antartica does look vert different in summer or winter.

Of course it does look very different then. As for now only "summer" is represented in two seasons (late and early). As most of Antarctica is pitch black for most of the winter it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do it as an extra season. Not mentioning that collecting the necessary data from the various sources and getting the respective permissions alone took 2 years. Data in that detail for the winter season is just not available. In the end it would have turned out that for the winter alone there would be a completely different scenery required = twice the work for a minimal value. And I bet no one wants for wait for another 3 years of development etc. for an extra season that is barely ever visible.

BUT: We have added a little tool that enables you to switch between late and early season in the McMurdo and Terra Nova Bay areas where the airports are move further inland in the late season (in the early season you won't see the icebreaker coming to McMurdo and the ice channel would be covered by ice).

There are a few animals here and there in the scenery but no compete colonies. But this is something on our list for a big update which will come into development if we see the product to be a big success (in sales). Before going any further we have to see how much people are interested in this special place. Still we have gone A LOT further in detail than commercially justified.

Let me tell you there was a well-known developer group (I won't mention names) planning an Antarctica scenery that dropped it once we announced "Antarctica X". But they were never planning to go that far in detail and that low in price on initial release.

Bests,

Sascha

I'm pretty happy to see you and Aerosoft going for such a project, Sascha.

I can only hope for a big success, but I don't have much doubts that the excitement on flying a new continent will spread when there's so much to explore. :)

As said, the pricing looks more than reasonable to me.