Antarctica X Preview (released, topic closed)

Sasa

One question. Did you make station Novolazarevskaya? Or any other Russian station?

All of the stations we know of have been done, but not all of them in high detail as Rothera, McMurdo and others. Novolasarevskaya base itself has not been done. But the skiway connected to that station has been done in medium detail with a few Russian static aircraft parking there etc. Also supplied are some flightplan files with waypoints to and from "Novo" Airbase.

For all I know Russia plans to reactivate some of its closed stations at some point in the future, which would make them even more interesting.

Bests,

Sascha

I wonder if it you could add a calibrated FSMap map in the package (the one you are planning to add to the package with the main landmarks, like in island). Because I am conserned that the calibration with be very hard to do.

Certainly possible. If it can't be done until the product is released, this is certainly something for a later update package.

Bests,

Sascha

And it comes with a full blown derivative of our Twin Otter (just about our best selling aircraft over the years).

Man, I already own your Twotter, but I'd buy again if a new one was released that was up to modern standards. Same with the Beaver too.

Really looking forward to this scenery, it looks amazing and the documentation sounds great as well.

Certainly possible. If it can't be done until the product is released, this is certainly something for a later update package.

Bests,

Sascha

Would be great Sascha. Etienne

Well, there is kind of a mission included there. The British fly their Twotters down from Calgary to Rothera (Antarctica) every season and back north when the season ends....

Looks like the new season just began. Two British Twin Otters headed for Antarctica just left Calgary earlier today and landed in Casper, Wyoming to refuel. They can be tracked through the US on the following links:

http://de.flightaware.com/live/flight/VPFBB

http://de.flightaware.com/live/flight/VPFAZ

Bests,

Sascha

• 2 weeks later...

Any new pictures from ICE land? :) The winter is comming ;).

We are in the final stages of development right now. I can't give a time yet but I have agreed with Aerosoft that everything will be out until the holidays. As soon as McMurdo is finished, which is the major hub down there, you'll get a bunch of more screenies.

Meanwhile, if you can get BBC One where you live, there is a new documentary series coming made by the "Planet Earth" makers featuring some nice aerial impressions from the Arctic areas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mfl7n

The Americans have to wait until spring for this one on Discovery but I'm sure there will be a nice DVD/Bluray collection again as with the "Planet Earth" series.

Bests,

Sascha

Seeing that you and me both live in Germany as many, many of our customers: I have just seen that "Frozen Planet" will also be broadcasted by the ZDF in Germany. If anyone finds out when it would be nice if he/she could let us all know because I'm sure that this is something not to be missed for everyone with an interest in Antarctica.

Bests,

Sascha

Can't wait to get this! The ferry flight down to Antarctica in the Twin Otter is going to be an adventure in itself.

Will there be fuel depots available (An important part of operating the Twin Otter in Antarctica)?

Will there be fuel depots available (An important part of operating the Twin Otter in Antarctica)?

Yes, of course! Although I wouldn't be too sure there are all of them covered. Getting a complete list of fuel depots from every country setting them up down there is next to impossible. You can fly for example in a triangle between the Concordia, Mario Zuchelli and Dumont D'Urville bases using the Twotter where on each leg half way there is a fuel depot next to a small skiway.

Bests,

Sascha

@Sascha

Please, can you show us more preview pictures?! :)

Very busy on the final development stages right now but maybe Nick will have some time for a few more screenshots during the next 2 weeks (no promise).

Bests,

Sascha

Today that I finished most of McMurdo's files I used to opportunity to take an A319 on a flight to McMurdo (this type of aircraft is actually flying there). Please keep in mind that I'm not even close as good as Nick in taking screenshots.

NovemberSampleFlight01.jpg

Southeast of Terra Nova Bay...

NovemberSampleFlight02.jpg

...Mount Erebus in the background.

NovemberSampleFlight03.jpg

Mount Erebus is a volcano that has one of only three open lava lakes on earth - the other two being in Congo and Ethopia.

NovemberSampleFlight04.jpg

Passing Mount Erebus. Note that all the screenshots you have seen up to here show Antarctica X in "default". The complete continent is covered in this quality while there are a few areas (mainly around the bases) that are done in even higher quality.

NovemberSampleFlight05.jpg

Overflight of McMurdo's Sea Ice Runway

NovemberSampleFlight06.jpg

Touching down (as seen from the Tower)

NovemberSampleFlight07.jpg

Taxiing along "Fuels".

NovemberSampleFlight08.jpg

Note the large engine heaters that are used down here warm up the engines before startup

NovemberSampleFlight09.jpg

Parking brakes set, engines turned off. A passenger is disembarking from the Hercules in front of us. Note the snow animated blower clearing the apron of snow

Just a little tour but I hope you like it.

Bests,

Sascha

WOW! This is a must have for me!

I have done some "Qantas to Antarctica" flights (following the real world Qantas flights) in the PMDG 744 and in the Captain Sim 762. This is going to change all that! I also fly the other aircraft from either Australia or New Zealand to Antarctica. The FSX default Antarctica is boring and dull, nothing like in the real world. This is going to change all that!

Am I right in believing that you guys have fixed up the navigational problems down there? It's been terrible in my experience. GPS says I'm going north when I'm really going east. That sort of thing.

Mark

Am I right in believing that you guys have fixed up the navigational problems down there? It's been terrible in my experience. GPS says I'm going north when I'm really going east. That sort of thing.

That's a VERY good point. No, of course we weren't able to fix that because we just can't fix FSX believing the magnetic poles being the real poles also (sad but true).

We are currently compiling a list for the manual containing navigation programs that can help you out down there. I think FS Commander might be one of a few options.

Bests,

Sascha