Antarctica X Preview (released, topic closed)

Sasa

It looks stunningly good Sascha. Take your time, I can wait. I wont get off the continent for a long time, once I get on it - from the looks of this. Fantastic work...

I agree. I've always wanted to explore the poles... =)

What plane are you goin' to fly there, btw?

The TwinOtter would be perfect, but the model is just too old by now... what (nicely done) alternatives do we have?

What plane are you goin' to fly there, btw?

The TwinOtter would be perfect, but the model is just too old by now... what (nicely done) alternatives do we have?

Flight 1's BN2 Islander would be an option. It's still pretty new and it's flying very well. Think about it.

Flight 1's BN2 Islander would be an option. It's still pretty new and it's flying very well. Think about it.

Only problem with the BN2, its sooo slow, it would take for ever to get round Antarctica with it :lol:

Only problem with the BN2, its sooo slow, it would take for ever to get round Antarctica with it :lol:

Yeah... =P

Lovely aircraft, but it's barely crawling... ;-)

Don't get me wrong, nice for sight-seeing (for which there are better aircraft...), but slow if you want to cover something remotely resembling "distance" =D

Well, maybe the upcoming Q400, that should work =P

Yeah... =P

Lovely aircraft, but it's barely crawling... ;-)

Don't get me wrong, nice for sight-seeing (for which there are better aircraft...), but slow if you want to cover something remotely resembling "distance" =D

Well, maybe the upcoming Q400, that should work =P

Or the PMDGs J41. But anyway for flying around a whole continent I'd take something like the F16 or the F18. Everything else is just to slow for that task, or do you want to sit in front of your computer for 6 hours just seeing snow, snow and even more snow?

Or the PMDGs J41. But anyway for flying around a whole continent I'd take something like the F16 or the F18. Everything else is just to slow for that task, or do you want to sit in front of your computer for 6 hours just seeing snow, snow and even more snow?

Yep, the Jetstream fits =)

If you don't like snow, you're on the wrong continent down there xD

Yep, the Jetstream fits =)

If you don't like snow, you're on the wrong continent down there xD

And you will need something with better range to get you somewhere like Australia, I hear they dont get much snow there :lol:

And you will need something with better range to get you somewhere like Australia, I hear they dont get much snow there :lol:

If you refuel at the "edge" you can do the jump in a Jetstream... =D

No, I'm just saying. The Islander is too slow, an F18 is too fast for my taste ... =P

It's time someone did a nice Iljushin 18/76 or better yet an An-72 (or simply a newer C130 (or A400)) and you're set ;-)

If you refuel at the "edge" you can do the jump in a Jetstream... =D

No, I'm just saying. The Islander is too slow, an F18 is too fast for my taste ... =P

It's time someone did a nice Iljushin 18/76 or better yet an An-72 (or simply a newer C130 (or A400)) and you're set ;-)

Theres nothing wrong with the CS C130. How ever, on the other hand the A400, well thats a fugly aeroplane and doesnt deserve to be in any flight sim :lol:

Theres nothing wrong with the CS C130. How ever, on the other hand the A400, well thats a fugly aeroplane and doesnt deserve to be in any flight sim :lol:

2D gauges??

There are very few "exceptional" airplanes that look nice at the same time =P

I may have high standards regarding the looks, which is why the CS130 doesn't do it for me anymore... =P

http://captainsim.com/cgi-bin/imgview.pl?i=/products/c131/img/screenshots/vc/c131_8.jpg;x=1

I have to apologize that I haven't been able to answer a single beta test application as yet.

I'm very soon moving with my family from one continent from another, meaning that all the time I don't use for development goes into organizing that.

Please give me another 4 weeks or so and beta testing will finally start. This also means that there is no deadline for application as yet! Whoever wants to apply can still do so!

As a little apology here's a bunch of screenshots that finally shows some of the landscape in its full glory. Most of what you see here is continent-wide in this quality! Therefore it wasn't that easy to find some good spots because there are just too many.

PreviewMay01.jpg

James Ross Island with Antarctic Peninsula in background

PreviewMay02.jpg

Fildes Peninsula, home to many bases and and the Frei Airbase Hub (Chile)

PreviewMay03.jpg

View from Mount Erebus (active volcano) to McMurdo (USA), which is on the tip of the Peninsula you see in the distance

PreviewMay04.jpg

Approaching Frei Base (a good example to show the lesser detailed bases - the featured ones like McMurdo, Casey, Rothera and others will look way better)

PreviewMay05.jpg

Transantarctic Mountains

PreviewMay06.jpg

Transantarctic Mountains

PreviewMay07.jpg

Transantarctic Mountains

PreviewMay08.jpg

George VI Sound near Fossil Bluff (note thousands of Meltwater lakes on the ice)

Bests,

Sascha

P.S.: Jetstream "Ferry" - although I'll try to edit in some extra fuel tanks, instead of annoying passengers ;-)

@34.000ft - almost the aerodynamic ceiling...^^ (assume 2 Pilots only, full fuel - no extra ferry tanks - pilots on oxygen, as the cabin altitude gets high): 2200+ NM range =)

edit:

"Long Range" version

#1 - additional ferry tanks (discontinued)

I added additional ferry tanks instead of passengers, meaning I used the stations normally occupied by seats (8.9 and -1.3 or something)

=> @24.000ft, 1040lb/hr@300kt TAS

==> 11h endurance, resulting in a range of around 3300NM

Now the tanks I used for the test were actually too heavy, I hadn't considered that FSX uses a rather heavy fuel-weight of 6.7lb/gal, instead of my 6lb/gal.

Also the J41 does not see the fuel - which is realistic - but since there is no way I can "crawl back" and have a look myself, and I'm not sure whether the engines would use those tanks anyway, due to the custom engine modelling by PMDG, I won't use this solution.

#2 - "enlarged main-tanks"

I simply enlarged the main tanks, assuming that one could feed the ferry tanks into the wing tanks and from there to the engines.

This time I used the correct amount of fuel, adding 250 gallons per tank, which - with 2 pilots only - leaves you with 150lb to spare to MTOW, enough for catering for the long flight plus some baggage.

=> @24.000ft, 1040lb/hr@300kt TAS

==> 8:30 endurance, resulting in a range of about 2550NM

OR

=> @32.000ft, 970lb/hr@300kt TAS

==> 9:00 endurance, resulting in a range of about 2700NM

But the range at 24k should be enough and it even let's you stay in the normal operating range of the pressure cabin =P

============================================

All ranges are absolute ranges, no reserves left.

==========>>>>>> The J41 should be pretty much the most complex aircraft (for now), that one can bring down there!

We'll see when PMDG releases their Dash 8, that should offer a pretty nice alternative, with a shoulder decker being more realistic to be used at the South Pole =)

P.S.: Now I've just got to do a Trans-Atlantic flight on VATSIM with this, although I can't fly Mach .8 ;-)

P.P.S.: Okay, you may continue with the original topic for this thread, I just thought I'd let you know ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I know that development of this project takes kind of forever. But believe me: It's worth it.

Attached are a few more screens again:

PreviewJune01.jpg

Sunrise at the Norwegian Troll Base

PreviewJune02.jpg

PreviewJune03.jpg

Seymour Island (Home of Argentina's Marambio Base)

PreviewJune04.jpg

Marambio Base