Antarctica X Preview (released, topic closed)

Sasa

I'm sorry to say that I have to destroy all hopes for a release before Christmas as is was originally planned.

Our nanny who made it possible for me to work while she's taking care of our little one just didn't feel like working for us anymore. :angry:

I'm now bringing her to daycare every morning but as you can imagine taking care for her half day and driving in trini traffic eats up lots of time that lacks in time for Antarctica X development. I'm sorry for that but I'm still working on it basically every day as much as I can and the little ones it trying to help my as much as she can (by hacking the keyboard with a serious working face while sitting on my lap...)

While other mesh sceneries are usually done in a day using available data it took me for example 2 months to create a decent mesh terrain alone for the whole Antarctic peninsula mountain range that is almost finished by now. All because of lack of data but this project now comes with a better mesh of that area than ever seen before - even from official sources. There are many smaller areas that are easily covered with 1-2m resolution mesh terrain but the rest 99.99% of Antarctica is kind of a big white spot on the map.

Bests,

Sascha

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm sorry to say that I have to destroy all hopes for a release before Christmas as is was originally planned.

Our nanny who made it possible for me to work while she's taking care of our little one just didn't feel like working for us anymore. :angry:

I'm now bringing her to daycare every morning but as you can imagine taking care for her half day and driving in trini traffic eats up lots of time that lacks in time for Antarctica X development. I'm sorry for that but I'm still working on it basically every day as much as I can and the little ones it trying to help my as much as she can (by hacking the keyboard with a serious working face while sitting on my lap...)

While other mesh sceneries are usually done in a day using available data it took me for example 2 months to create a decent mesh terrain alone for the whole Antarctic peninsula mountain range that is almost finished by now. All because of lack of data but this project now comes with a better mesh of that area than ever seen before - even from official sources. There are many smaller areas that are easily covered with 1-2m resolution mesh terrain but the rest 99.99% of Antarctica is kind of a big white spot on the map.

Bests,

Sascha

Sascha, just take the time you need! Release AntarcticaX when you have a good feeling about its quality! No need to hurry!

Impressive. But what would be the procedure to put the aircraft to a halt? Do they use brakes at all, or only reverse trust and spoilers and let her roll?

The final manual will come with a chapter written by an Antarctic pilot that will tell you everything you need to know about flying down there. :)

Bests,

Sascha

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Looking araound for aircrafts for the antarctic region I came across the Basler BT-67. It is based on the DC-3 airframe with some modifications (stretched fuselage, redesigned wings). The most important modification is that it uses PT6A-67R turbo engines.

The BT-67 is used by the Alfred Wegener Institut and I found a freeware model made by Dirk Stuck which you can download here

EDIT: Details on the BT-67 can be found here

basler.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking araound for aircrafts for the antarctic region I came across the Basler BT-67. It is based on the DC-3 airframe with some modifications (stretched fuselage, redesigned wings). The most important modification is that it uses PT6A-67R turbo engines.

Yes, a very nice model one indeed. But it's a shame that they used so much reflection on the material/texture that it looks like it has been dipped in oil.

Bests,

Sascha

Here are two very first shots of Wilkins Aerodrome, Australia's Gateway to the Antarctic.

Wilkins01.jpg

Wilkins02.jpg

Wilkins03.jpg

They are using an Airbus 319LR to fly down there! Check out this video:

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, a very nice model one indeed. But it's a shame that they used so much reflection on the material/texture that it looks like it has been dipped in oil.

Bests,

Sascha

Yes, but it really looks like this as you can see in this video:

And there are some other videos on Youtube shwing the Basler in action

Here are two very first shots of Wilkins Aerodrome, Australia's Gateway to the Antarctic.

They are using an Airbus 319LR to fly down there! Check out this video:

Cool,

but now we need an Aerosoft A319 ;), and as far as i know you alredy have an pretty good VC for it :D

Still working on the coastlines?

Do you use FSX KML to draw the coastlines?

No and no. FSX KML is nice, but you can't draw coastlines like that in Google Earth. Due to the many icefields/icebergs etc. the coastline consists of millions (!) of vertexes that needed some special procedures to do them. Keep in mind this is not a scenery like any other.

Bests,

Sascha

No and no. FSX KML is nice, but you can't draw coastlines like that in Google Earth. Due to the many icefields/icebergs etc. the coastline consists of millions (!) of vertexes that needed some special procedures to do them. Keep in mind this is not a scenery like any other.

Bests,

Sascha

Screens look amazing. Can´t wait to flying this scenery. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bests,

Sascha

Any estimate on when it goes beta?

My new Download Server is back online

http://cheese-strike-repaints.webs.com/

Dash 7 freeware livery is finished : Dash_7_BAS_2.jpg)

Chesse-Strike,

A question about the Dash 7 from British Antarctic Survey. The shown picture which I guess is taken in-game display an almost orange livery colour.

If I browse through photos of the BAS livery on the Internet, I see colours ranging from very red to almost orange.

It is probably light conditions causing this, but I am unsure of what the actual colour of the BAS livery is?

Michael