ManhattanX Crash to Desktop - Out of Available Memory

Chris Catalano

Hi Everyone:

Just spent $30 on Manhattan X by Aerosoft. I am trying to run the program, but as I fly over the city, it eventually crashes the program to the desktop with an error message saying I am "Out of available memory, restart FSX with lower settings" (like lower traffic, etc.)

You've got to be kidding me! I already installed both patches. I am running a very high end brand new machine built just for gaming. This is the ONLY program I have EVER had this message with! I am running a dual core 3.17 GHZ machine, with a very new Nvidia GX series video card. I have 2 GB RAM. Again, my machine handles EVERYTHING well - except this. Anyone have this issue, and is there a solution without dummying down the scenery?

Thanks,

Chris Catalano

Sure, there is a solution. You see, this error message is quite common in FSX. What you need to do is to make a start up boot.ini edit, to let your operating system let programs allocate more than 2gb of memory, you don't need more than 2gb of ram though, as windows use virtual memory as well.

Try a google search and you will find plenty of documentation.

BTW: Only FSX SP2 will make use of more than 2gb of memory.

Hi Everyone:

Just spent $30 on Manhattan X by Aerosoft. I am trying to run the program, but as I fly over the city, it eventually crashes the program to the desktop with an error message saying I am "Out of available memory, restart FSX with lower settings" (like lower traffic, etc.)

You've got to be kidding me! I already installed both patches. I am running a very high end brand new machine built just for gaming. This is the ONLY program I have EVER had this message with! I am running a dual core 3.17 GHZ machine, with a very new Nvidia GX series video card. I have 2 GB RAM. Again, my machine handles EVERYTHING well - except this. Anyone have this issue, and is there a solution without dummying down the scenery?

Thanks,

Chris Catalano

Try checking the settings on FSX sliders lower such as ai, water, etc. Running E8500 here and 4870 had the same problem and that solved. Look also at some of the posts on

Manhatten X on this forum it should help.

Try checking the settings on FSX sliders lower such as ai, water, etc. Running E8500 here and 4870 had the same problem and that solved. Look also at some of the posts on

Manhatten X on this forum it should help.

There is no need to lower the sliders. If you don't have the 3GB switch on and get OME, that is the problem.

• Aerosoft
There is no need to lower the sliders. If you don't have the 3GB switch on and get OME, that is the problem.

Well the problem is of course that Vista lets the out of memory exist at all. It's an issue that is as old as Vista and they still are not able to solve it. Let's be grateful that Windows 7 does not have these issues anymore.

But the comment is right, make sure the OS knows it's limitations and all will be fine. Do complain with MS though!

Well the problem is of course that Vista lets the out of memory exist at all. It's an issue that is as old as Vista and they still are not able to solve it. Let's be grateful that Windows 7 does not have these issues anymore.

But the comment is right, make sure the OS knows it's limitations and all will be fine. Do complain with MS though!

I should have been clearer - I am running Windows XP. However, this being the case, if I do make changes as described above, what is a suitable setting I should set Windows to?

Thanks,

Chris Catalano

Chris, in that thread they use a key that restrict memory usage to 2560 mb: /3GB/Userva=2560

If you don't have more than 512 MB ram on your GFX card, it's no problem to just use the /3GB, without any restrictions. You see, the amount of GFX memory is mirrored in your system memory. 512 MB should not be a problem, but lets say you had a 768 MB card: 3072 MB + 768 MB = 3840 MB The total system mem in 32 bit XP is 4096, that leaves just 256 MB of mem. for your os.

I'm quite positive this /3GB switch will fix your problem, although I don't own Manhattan X yet, but I had similar problems in other areas.