Bad precedant regarding active gates in FS9

RobertO

Since the development of AES (which I love), it seems that developers are no longer willing to include their own active gate docking systems for FS9 scenery. Is it because they want us to spend more money by buying AES credits? I don’t know, but I have some examples of how that may just be the case.

I bought the Sim-wings EGLL package, which I think is just amazing. I would say I spent about $30 on it. Only when I had it installed, I realized that in order to get the piers to dock, I had to purchase AES. That was my introduction to this wonderful program. But, I spent $22 on those initial credits. So, I now have the fully functional EGLL add-on for $52! How many mega-airports am I willing to pay that much money for? Guess what? Not many! Especially when Sim-wings have their own active gate technology. It came with the Paris-De Gaulle airport package, before AES was created. So, why couldn’t they use it with EGLL? I’m sure the technology could have been updated.

FSDT is certainly putting out their own high quality airports. None of them have docking gates, unless you purchase AES credits. Now, I may be a little off on my facts here, so please correct me if I’m wrong. But, I understand that FSDT is a descendant from Cloud 9? And Cloud 9 has active docking technology. See where I’m going here?

And finally there’s Imaginesim, who has included an active docking system for every one of their airports…until now. I noticed that it is conspicuously absent from their new KIAD package.

I consider myself a purist. That means if the piers don’t dock, then what’s the point of buying the airport? And if I have to purchase AES credits, on top of the already $30 plus dollars, then what’s the point in buying the airport?

I’m sure there will be the argument that the migration to FSX has already moved forward, so we should feel lucky to even get an FS9 version. But, and this is just one man’s opinion; I feel that FSX is turning out to be the new FS2000. Meaning it’s just a marginal stepping stone to the next big version. And considering that Microsoft has all but shut down the Flightsim division, there is going to be a long wait for the next FS. So, FS9 still has a lot of life left yet!

I’m not knocking anyone’s sceneries. I love them all! I wish I could have them all! However, I am questioning the development and pricing philosophies more than anything. And, I am wondering just how much people are willing to pay now for fully functional airport add-ons?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Discuss….

Note: this has been posted to a number of forums.

Personally I welcome the idea in these parsimonious times there is no longer a need to reinvent the wheel everytime a new airport is released. Just as I've always wondered at the complete farce of Company `A` making a certain gauge, only for Company `B` modelling a similar gauge to develop the same gauge from scratch.

This kind of pluralist adhoc repeat development is one of those factors that has long held flight sim back. After all, if Company `B` no longer has to worry about THAT gauge, then they can spend their development time on something more exciting, more relevant or heck, just better. Perhaps if some of these developers can co-operate, we can have more addons, sooner, that meet esoteric or marginal needs because the cycle of development is substantially reduced.

If you look beneath the hood and body of most modern aircraft you will find many an occasion when the same part appears, perhaps differentiated only by a different brand name and serial number, sometimes interchangeable, sometimes not through dint of a small change to the other design, perhaps to avoid confusion, perhaps just to be bloody-minded, perhaps with an intent to improve the original. QED.

So in answer I'd say: "get used to it...", I suspect that this is one area where things will not change - FS now has an indefinite lifespan, and it is ludicrous to reinvent the wheel when one that goes round and round already fits, is out there and available. Simmers have been doing that for themselves for years!

If the cost element is not one that you can savour, even after considering what that airport might have cost you if they'd had to spend another six months sorting the gates out, then exercising your right of non-purchase is a commercial lesson that the developer or publisher will soon learn, if others think as you do.

Good luck with that.