online flying aerosoft f16 vs. FSX Accel f18

mangold

post-22974-1233513805_thumb.jpgpost-22974-1233513851_thumb.jpg

See screenshots taken during IVAO online flight.

Both MFDs look similar. Functions available are nearly identical i.e.

- visible radar antenna azimuth sweep

- range select option

- target acquisition list

- target select/deselect

- bugged target symbol incl. direction tail

- 3fold antenna azimuth scan width

- bottom line represents aircraft nose

Differences

- f-16 antenna elevation selectable, f-18 fixed

- f-16 radar MFD displays blue scan limit lines (candy I like), f-18 does not

- f-16 has designator cursor, f-18 has click spot for target bugging

- f-16 has map mode HSD, f-18 has not

- f-16 FCR shows bugged target aspect ratio, speed, closure speed, and more, f-18 does not

- f-16 HUD is far more superior i.e target designator box, range ring, aspect arrow and more

- f-16 CANNOT pick up IVAO online traffic, f-18 CAN

I whish to urge all aerosoft designers and all other f-16 aficionados to look into this last inability.

Why? It is nice to deal with AI traffic. It is far more FSX-as-close-as-it-gets

- to fly among 1000s life simmers, moving 100s types of civ. or mil aircrafts

- all over the world each hour/day/night

- engage in interceps, dogfights, low level chases or formation

- rendevous a tanker in an AtoA refueling pattern

- raise voice contact with other pilots

- fly with life ATC controllers or in uncontrolled airspaces

Up to now aerosoft f-16 cannot present her most superior features among the IVAO/VATSIM parish

because she is "online-deaf/numb/sterile"

This I consider negative promotion. (all the above counts for f-16 v1.1 incl AN/APG-68)

Comments?

mangold

ps: HOWTO fly online IVAO/VATSIM can become timeconsuming when starting to read manuals.

Make up your mind if a briefing is desired.

post-22974-1233513805_thumb.jpgpost-22974-1233513851_thumb.jpg

See screenshots taken during IVAO online flight.

Both MFDs look similar. Functions available are nearly identical i.e.

- visible radar antenna azimuth sweep

- range select option

- target acquisition list

- target select/deselect

- bugged target symbol incl. direction tail

- 3fold antenna azimuth scan width

- bottom line represents aircraft nose

Differences

- f-16 antenna elevation selectable, f-18 fixed

- f-16 radar MFD displays blue scan limit lines (candy I like), f-18 does not

- f-16 has designator cursor, f-18 has click spot for target bugging

- f-16 has map mode HSD, f-18 has not

- f-16 FCR shows bugged target aspect ratio, speed, closure speed, and more, f-18 does not

- f-16 HUD is far more superior i.e target designator box, range ring, aspect arrow and more

I whish to urge all aerosoft designers and all other f-16 aficionados to look into this last inability.

Why? It is nice to deal with AI traffic. It is far more FSX-as-close-as-it-gets

- to fly among 1000s life simmers, moving 100s types of civ. or mil aircrafts

- all over the world each hour/day/night

- engage in interceps, dogfights, low level chases or formation

- rendevous a tanker in an AtoA refueling pattern

- raise voice contact with other pilots

- fly with life ATC controllers or in uncontrolled airspaces

Up to now aerosoft f-16 cannot present her most superior features among the IVAO/VATSIM parish

because she is "online-deaf/numb/sterile"

This I consider negative promotion. (all the above counts for f-16 v1.1 incl AN/APG-68)

Comments?

mangold

ps: HOWTO fly online IVAO/VATSIM can become timeconsuming when starting to read manuals.

Make up your mind if a briefing is desired.

Mr. mangold,

Thank you for taking the time to report your findings about the AN/APG-68. Fred "Horton229" will probably explain the details of the ITrafficInfo capabilities with regards to AI. However, the AN/APG-68 Radar DOES NOT pickup each and every target OUTSIDE its focused range. ie. Unlike the original F-16 RADAR it only picks up targets within the coverage of the RADAR and within its update cycles. This ensures that it functions accurately like a REAL Radar.

However, we are doing this project as a "Labor of Love" and are NOT giving guarantees that it will work with every VA. I'm glad that you told me that it might NOT work with your VA. But, you will need to read and understand (the manuals) how to use it correctly to be sure that it's not something on your end, experiment with your VA some more, and let us know; It's impossible for us to test it with every Online system as we are users like yourself and NOT Aerosoft staff.

We will, however, try to resolve these issues to the best of our abilities and please continue to report your findings.

PS: The current (BETA) AN/APG-68 Radar is still being updated along with the HUD, HSD, and HSI - we are working together on BETA v0.18 So, these issues will be resolved (hopefully).

Thanks for your help. ;)

• Upvote 1

Comments?

mangold

I would love to make out AN/APG-68 work with online traffic. However, I don't know how. The current implementation uses ITrafficInfo just like the original Aerosoft radar which clearly doesn't work (or at least it's not configured to do it). I did look into what the FSX F-18 does and it uses DLL code (not gauge XML) do I can't reverse engineer it.

I haven't researched it throughly yet but if anyone knows the technical details of how to make this work, I'd be interested.

.... I did look into what the FSX F-18 does and it uses DLL code (not gauge XML) do I can't reverse engineer it.

Mr. Fred "Horton229",

Umberto "virtuali" wrote that code in C/C++ for MS and they (together) bottled it up in dymanic link libraries (.DLL's); so, there's no way we'll get our hands on that knowledge for FREE. He's also, "Old School", and knows how to do these things really well. I highly doubt he will share his expertise for a competitor's product. :unsure: Anyone else, with that level of knowledge in these areas, are most likely on someone's payroll or (like him) a developer/business owner.

We could look more closely in the FSX SDK for more information on AI related gauges.

;)

• Upvote 1

I would love to make out AN/APG-68 work with online traffic. However, I don't know how. The current implementation uses ITrafficInfo just like the original Aerosoft radar which clearly doesn't work (or at least it's not configured to do it). I did look into what the FSX F-18 does and it uses DLL code (not gauge XML) do I can't reverse engineer it.

I haven't researched it throughly yet but if anyone knows the technical details of how to make this work, I'd be interested.

thanks for your reply.

I regret to admit having zero knowledge about coding and HOW f-18 radar picks up and displays online traffic.

You managed to implement AN/APG-68 into aerosoft f-16 . A great enhancement! I m glad to hear, you continue researching. Whish luck for a next giant step towards online capability.

Regards mangold

You guys are making a lot of assumptions (let alone the funny remark about Aerosoft being a "competitor" of mine with regard to the F-18 vs F-16), without even starting to ASK...

There's no "secret" about the radar showing online multiplayer planes on the F-18. In fact, there's nothing specifically programmed to get online airplanes, the radar doesn't know squat if a target is online or not, it's simply comes as an AI.

The method is VERY simple: just use Simconnect, instead of ITrafficInfo from XML, and that's it...

Of course, to use Simconnect, you need to use C++, which is just another reason (I can add many others too) why I always pretended XML doesn't exist, which is also a reason for THESE figures:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/325182...e46b7e173_o.jpg

Umberto Colapicchioni

http://www.fsdreamteam.com