Carenado Cessna 172

Danair

Hi Friends, Carenado say that the new C172 has no autopilot but that one may be added. They did not of course explain how this might be accomplished. Any suggestions as to the feasibility of adding an auto pilot? :rolleyes:

Hi Friends, Carenado say that the new C172 has no autopilot but that one may be added. They did not of course explain how this might be accomplished. Any suggestions as to the feasibility of adding an auto pilot? :rolleyes:

No idea but I'd like to know being that I'll be training in a C172 but it has glass, so that would be nice to have so I can practice more realistically in FSX with the Carenado version rather than the default glass 172.

No idea but I'd like to know being that I'll be training in a C172 but it has glass, so that would be nice to have so I can practice more realistically in FSX with the Carenado version rather than the default glass 172.

Dont get that? The Default FSX Cessna 172 has a Garmin G1000 option already installed. The Carenado 172 is a geriatric, wheezy old model, with barely any mod cons except for door handles... there is no glass Carenado, never has been. Not in any makers shirt.

Dont get that? The Default FSX Cessna 172 has a Garmin G1000 option already installed. The Carenado 172 is a geriatric, wheezy old model, with barely any mod cons except for door handles... there is no glass Carenado, never has been. Not in any makers shirt.

Right, well I've already bought the C172N from Carenado's site. I just like their models over the default. I do use the default Cessna with the G1000 for more realistic nav, but I wish there was a more realistic model like Carenado's that was actually modern! That would help for training.

:rolleyes: I get it now, the new Carenado C172 is an old model aeroplane and consequently has few modern gismos. I'll wait until I can find a small, modern low & slow aircraft for FSX with all mod cons (esp autopilot)......Any suggestions my friends?

:rolleyes: I get it now, the new Carenado C172 is an old model aeroplane and consequently has few modern gismos. I'll wait until I can find a small, modern low & slow aircraft for FSX with all mod cons (esp autopilot)......Any suggestions my friends?

Oh yes!

1: Eaglesoft Cirrus SR20

or

Cirrus SR22

or even

Cirrus SR22 Turbo

Very similar panel configurations with ultra-modern avionics (Avidyne and Garmin) and a full-function a/p with everything except IAS Hold!. The SR20 is the base model, the SR22 has a bigger nomally-aspirated engine, and the Turbo is a real Hot Ship, almost as hot as...

2: Eaglesoft Columbia 400 (Now better known as the Cessna 400) - It's fast, with glass. Very fast, very glass. Total class!

3: Eaglesoft Liberty XL2 - modern, small and with twin Garmins and a `modest` autopilot that fills the gap between the non-equipped Carenados and the full-on Cessna/Columbia 400 and the Cirrus series. Lots of window so great for low/slow viffering. One of my personal faves.

Any of these should, I think, fit with what you're looking for. More details from:

http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/General_Aviation.htm

I'd not heard of Eaglesoft, but the XL2 is just what I'm looking for - the Rap wasn't bad either!

Will take a closer look tomorrow, and thanks for your advice - appreciated :rolleyes:

Since most people start out training on a Cessna 172, I'm surprised no one has developed a high quality addon version. You'd think the market would expand to companies who offer flight instruction so they could blend it in with their training. Carenado's is nice, but it seems it's designed as a 1970-80 version. It would be nice to see a modern version like the ones we actually train in.

Well the Flight One versh is available for both FS9 and FSX, but it's not a true FSX model and hasn't been developed or revisited, or better still developed into the 182. But it does have a default autopilot, if some quirks about VC positioning and lights functionality.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=esd172

Gents,

Mr. Evans suggestions here are perfect for the FSX community; and thank you for them.

Mr. FSXAddict, for actual flight training purposes, I wouldn't use any FSX model for it...

... As you will find that often times you'll find features missing that will cause you to forget a step or two in the actual proceedures of the real aircraft (especially if you are getting IFR rated in the G1000). I'm suggesting this to you from experience. Please don't get me wrong, It is great to have fun and practise at home but it can seriously cause you to make mistakes if you train more at home and forget the little things (steps) that the real aircraft requires; like forgeting to check for the ARM indicator to come ON before making a GPS approach; in IMC that could be fatal; and many pilot/friends of mine made similar mistakes because the used the FSX default versions to practise with at home (which doesn't have that feature modeled) and some of them failed their checkrides due to missing that step.

Just my "word to the wise" suggestions.

PS: Mr. Evans - I love all of Eaglesoft's/Flight1's models; their really spectacular. B)

"My two cents" - :)

• Upvote 1

Good points James, and absolutely valid. But don't forget Flight One have a separate, Flight Training arm - Flight 1 Aviation Technologies which is precisely for that training market

http://www.flight1tech.com/

note the news: Alongside the existing Avidyne trainer, they are well-advanced with the development of a Garmin G1000 Student Simulator.

So it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

There is also this: http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1941

more details for this here: http://www.fs2x.com/

Caravan only application at this point, but one assumes it could be the start of a range of applications.

Thanks for the info. This seems very similar to the G1000 that comes with the Flight1 Mustang. I've been extremely impressed with the complexity of the airplane and it's navigation system. I believe every button works in the plane. It has allowed me to learn the G1000 by studying the real life G1000 manual that it asks you to download from Garmin's actual website, and so far everything in the manual works in FSX in the Mustang.

Now, I would love to see this in the Cessna 172. The link you gave seems to be for the Caravan.

Gents,

Mr. Evans suggestions here are perfect for the FSX community; and thank you for them.

Mr. FSXAddict, for actual flight training purposes, I wouldn't use any FSX model for it...

... As you will find that often times you'll find features missing that will cause you to forget a step or two in the actual proceedures of the real aircraft (especially if you are getting IFR rated in the G1000). I'm suggesting this to you from experience. Please don't get me wrong, It is great to have fun and practise at home but it can seriously cause you to make mistakes if you train more at home and forget the little things (steps) that the real aircraft requires; like forgeting to check for the ARM indicator to come ON before making a GPS approach; in IMC that could be fatal; and many pilot/friends of mine made similar mistakes because the used the FSX default versions to practise with at home (which doesn't have that feature modeled) and some of them failed their checkrides due to missing that step.

Just my "word to the wise" suggestions.

PS: Mr. Evans - I love all of Eaglesoft's/Flight1's models; their really spectacular. B)

"My two cents" - :)

Yes James, very good points and I understand completely. It would still be nice to have, but understanding that it is not "the real thing".

Personally, I'd pin my hopes on Flight 1 as they do have a formal arrangement with Garmin, which I don't believe FS2X possess. Given their twin business it is reasonable to assume, although I haven't looked, that they probably have an arrangement to provide a full systems trainer for the Mustang, and that the sim version represents a watered-down version for the general public. Given that this contains more features than most other sim-dom representations I would expect that the flight training approved desktop systems and procedural trainer would be inevitable as the most sophisticated iteration...

Now about the 172, I would expect that FSX would be the more likely provider in the short term.

Might be an idea to read all of a thread before commenting Dave, we've already mentioned the Carenado belonging to `old skool` and the Eaglesoft alternatives, specifically the XL2 and the SR20/22's... you're kind of just repeating what we already know and have discussed!

Finally, the avionics manufacturer is Avidyne, not Evidyne. The Avidyne functionality is already covered by a proper systems trainer made by the sister company of Flight 1, again as mentioned above.

But thanks for the Sportys references at least - so your post wasn't a total waste of time!

One thing I will add - perhaps contentiously - is that if you do want to desktop-replicate the hands-ff trimming and real-world stability characteristics of most modern GA, then unfortunately most of our hardware - sticks, yokes and pedals - are simply NOT up to the task. They don't have the range of movement or sympathetic reaction to aerodynamic effects to be accurate enough. Under those circumstances I recommend altering the realism sliders to halfway, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE `GENERAL` SLIDER. This gives you a fighting chance of being able to actually trim the bird and not have it upside down in a deep stall when you return from taking that half-second peak at the map. :o

Why so p!$$ed?

Permanent state of being. I lack the hypocrisy and - this evening - the time.

Pick any or all to suit your own predilections, as it seems you are intent on reading your own interpretations into my words. If I was expressing mirth or malice, even YOU would know. ;)

The anger...

By the way, it's school, not Skool

It's evening in the U.S. right now, it's morning in the U.K.

And, it's a simple question: Do you feel like murdering someone?

No, it's not. `Old Skool` is a popular miss-spelling of the word used in rave, dance and rock music to denote something that possibly harkens back to a bygone age. Pease don't argue semantics with me. You're simply not equipped. The typographical convention used in placing the deliberately misspelt expression appears to have passed you by...

As for time: As I write this a scant few minutes after your trite attempt, it's 01.30am at night, and it is morning nowhere in the UK.

Finally, re-visit your original question. The criteria is not the same.

You are 0 for 5. Still want to continue?