FSX Horizon Fix

Sharrow

Hi guys

I most often fly with visibility set to around 48km (irrespective of other weather settings) as I feel this adds a great deal of atmosphere (double meaning in this case) to VFR flight. However, as I am sure most will have noticed, there is a distinct horizon in FSX which can be seen when panning around. It is not distinct through 360 degrees, just here and there but more than enough to be annoying! Screenshot of what I mean below.

post-22501-1233012922_thumb.jpg

I have been experimenting on and off with various weather settings and times of day etc but nothing that I managed to find solved the issue. Over the last couple of days it actually become rather irritating. So, imagine my surprise today when glancing over AVSIM's daily freeware files and coming across a file called "Soft Horizons" by John Cillis. The zip file is available here. And it works like a charm! No more distinct horizons when using limited visibility settings no matter which way you look.

post-22501-1233012932_thumb.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance if this issue is in fact solvable in some other simple way (though I doubt it otherwise why would someone create a set of replacement files). Either way I hope you guys find it as useful as I have.

As with everything, do a back up and read the instructions before installing.

Konrad

Just an update on this post:

AVSIM picked up on this topic here and there is extra information available about using Soft Horizons with FEX and some other environment addons. John Cillis, the author of Soft Horizons, has also posted so if you are wandering if Soft Horizons can be used with your particular addons that would be the place to check or ask.

Konrad