Update rate of the HUD

AV8TR

Aerosoft team,

Is it possible to change the update rate of the HUD to make it perform even smoother than it does? I know this kills frames but I thought I'd give it a try if possible.

Thanks! :)

Aerosoft team,

Is it possible to change the update rate of the HUD to make it perform even smoother than it does? I know this kills frames but I thought I'd give it a try if possible.

Thanks! :)

It can be done by changing the update value in the HUD.xml file. The default (from Aerosoft) is 18. I actually run mine at 6 to improve frame rates.

It can be done by changing the update value in the HUD.xml file. The default (from Aerosoft) is 18. I actually run mine at 6 to improve frame rates.

Mr. AV8TR,

Mr. Fred "Horton229" has send me his changes for our mutual U.E.P. and I must say that his HUD changes are much nicer and smoother in the VC in many aspects. Plus, the AI targeting info. update on it makes it much more realisitic and "DOGFIGHT" friendly.

Thanks Fred! :D

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Mr. AV8TR,

Mr. Fred "Horton229" has send me his changes for our mutual U.E.P. and I must say that his HUD changes are much nicer and smoother in the VC in many aspects. Plus, the AI targeting info. update on it makes it much more realisitic and "DOGFIGHT" friendly.

Thanks Fred! :D

Is it possible to get copy of the HUD.CAB file with the changed Hud.xml file, parameter 6 as refresh frequency ? It is not that easy to rewrite/insert the Hud.xml into the Hud.cab.

If positiv i'd send you my E-Mail address.

Many thanks in advance

Forstmeier Raimund - Padova / Italy

Is it possible to get copy of the HUD.CAB file with the changed Hud.xml file, parameter 6 as refresh frequency ? It is not that easy to rewrite/insert the Hud.xml into the Hud.cab.

If positiv i'd send you my E-Mail address.

Many thanks in advance

Forstmeier Raimund - Padova / Italy

Mr. Forstmeier Raimund,

There have been too many changes to the project to just release small bits and pieces which may or may not work as a whole without the other code; But, when I get back home, I'll see if I can post some HUD code for you along with some pic's of the latest developments.

;)

• Upvote 1

Gents,

This is the UPDATED "HUD.xml" that allows for additional AI Target/Slant Range information, better FPS refresh rates, and smoother Horizon Ladder motions etc. This update is purely the work of Fred "Horton229" Highland updating the original HUD.xml file for overall accuracy like the "Real" F-16's HUD (MLU) and for functionality in FSX.

I. For each of these two folders...

...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16A 9\Panel

and

...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16AM Display\Panel

Do the Following:-

II. BACKUP

• Right Click the "HUD.CAB" File and Extract it to a Folder named "HUD"
  • Rename the "HUD.CAB" file to "BACKUP_Original_HUD.CAB" (THIS IS NOW YOUR ORIGINAL BACKUP FILE in case you want to RESTORE it back to the ORIGINAL).

YOUR BACK UP IN NOW COMPLETE.

III. INSTALLATION

• Download this " HUD.zip " file (Filesize: 14.8KB).
  • Extract the "HUD.xml" from within the "HUD.zip" file to the destination "HUD" folder that was created in STEP II for each of the STEP I folders.

IV. Now Launch FSX and enjoy your "NEW MLU HUD"; and let us know if you have any issues!

PS: Here are some picture previews of the U.E.P. BETAv0.23 that Fred and I have been working on; It is nearing completion in many areas [Fred has literally duplicated (in FULL acuracy) the entire A-A AN/APG-68 and its HSD] and I'm currently making an authentic HSI (with IFR Type Rating features). We hope to deliver it into Aerosoft's hands and your's soon. Enjoy! :)

RADAR / HSD:

post-13668-1234843779_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1234843792_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843805_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843818_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843834_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1234843921_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843844_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1234843856_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843865_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1234843874_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843933_thumb.jpg

HSI:

post-13668-1234843285_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1234843328_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843340_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1234843349_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1234843360_thumb.jpg

Please remember that this work is still "BETA" and some things may change for the final release. But, be assured that it is as acurate in its functionality to the real F-16 and, the HSI, is fully functional to that of "real" glass P/MFD HSI.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

That the HUD should be smoother by changing update rate from 18 to 6 is contradicting !!

18 means that it will be updated 18 times per second. 6 means that it only will be updated 6 times per second, it should become worse doing so !

Maximum update rate for xml code in FSX is 18, regardless wether You set update rate higher than 18.

The maximum update rate is also depenedent on the complexity of the code.

Maybe by lowering the update rate, total FPS increases and thus makes it feel like everything has become smoother.

It´s fine if You feel that a setting of 6 makes the HUD smoother than 18, but it definitly shouldn´t.

Finn

That the HUD should be smoother by changing update rate from 18 to 6 is contradicting !!

18 means that it will be updated 18 times per second. 6 means that it only will be updated 6 times per second, it should become worse doing so !

Maximum update rate for xml code in FSX is 18, regardless wether You set update rate higher than 18.

The maximum update rate is also depenedent on the complexity of the code.

Maybe by lowering the update rate, total FPS increases and thus makes it feel like everything has become smoother.

It´s fine if You feel that a setting of 6 makes the HUD smoother than 18, but it definitly shouldn´t.

Finn

You're right Finn, this new HUD didn't work for me. I didn't notice any change in FPS, but the HUD update rate was worse than the original one. So back to that one for me. However people with (s)lower computer systems may benefit from this one.

You're right Finn, this new HUD didn't work for me. I didn't notice any change in FPS, but the HUD update rate was worse than the original one. So back to that one for me. However people with (s)lower computer systems may benefit from this one.

Yeah - lowering the update rate of both the HUD and MFD's might help on FPS, but the HUD and MFD's should really not run smoother, rather slower.

Finn

...Maybe by lowering the update rate, total FPS increases and thus makes it feel like everything has become smoother.

...It´s fine if You feel that a setting of 6 makes the HUD smoother than 18, but it definitly shouldn´t.

Mr. Finn,

What Fred and I noticed (in the DEFAULT F-16 v1.1 HUD) is that the HUD Gauge was being "OVER UPDATED/REFRESHED." This would result in erratic jumps and shifts in the displayed symbology even when the aircraft was parked and stationary on the ground. Something that no one liked <_< or that is far from realistic (and in my case - frankly annoying :angry: ). Thus, a modification of the update rate reduced the constant "OVER UPDATING" and made the HUD gauge respond correctly for all the changes etc. Now, I'm sure more test need to be done. And, that is exactly why, Fred and I felt that we should post the BETA's to get responses from users. So, we appreciate the fact that you are all taking the time to explain and respond to these postings.

Next, No change in the refresh rates have been done to the (U.E.P.'s) AN/APG-68 and HSI as of yet. We hope, with Aerosoft's concent, to have users try that out too and help us better improve it for the final version that we intend to submit to Aerosoft. Also, We have completely re-written the code; so that it is really no longer resembling the original Aerosoft code. This was a necessity for several areas from efficency of FPS to authenticity in functions of the Real CMFD for the F-16 MLU; aside from obvious copyright issues. Furthermore, as per our agreement, you will have the final code to test and adjust for a future update, should you all decide to do so.

Finally, as already stated in the post earlier, this is still a (BETA) work in progress. We will, however, send you (Aerosoft) our first completed BETA, with the text unscrambled, for your evaluation.

Thank you.

===========================================================

Mr. Vincent "VinFlyer",

I appreciate you taking the time to download and test these modifications for yourself. I, too, have a number of very high-end systems and am wondering, what exactly were the problems you found with it? We hope to do more tests and perhaps add more realistic features and want to make sure that users problems are addressed early in the development phases. Fred has added realistic Target (AI)/Slant Range information found on the actual F-16's HUD and tweaked the update rate; but, aside from that, it is all the original v1.1 HUD. So, do let us know, what (specificaly) are your issues.

Thank you for your contributions.

• Upvote 1

>>So, do let us know, what (specificaly) are your issues.

>I didn't notice any change in FPS, but the HUD update rate was worse than the original one. So back to that one for me

Quite clear, isn't it ;)

That's exactly it. I didn't have any major issues with it. The only thing on my system is that the original HUD runs a bit smoother than the one with your adjustments. For the rest no issues but also no increase of decrease of FPS.

That's exactly it. I didn't have any major issues with it. The only thing on my system is that the original HUD runs a bit smoother than the one with your adjustments. For the rest no issues but also no increase of decrease of FPS.

Mr. Vincent "VinFlyer",

So, what are the FPS rates your are having with the default and the new one? If they are the same then it is working better than the default because the new one has several lines of additional code (and computations) for the SLANT Range and AI Target information and would slow a system down were in not for those added refresh rate changes. I say this only because, in seven different system trials that I personally performed, I got better than 3-7 FPS increase over the default HUD. And NOT one was the same or worse. Could you post your test results?

================================================================================

Brent "bstolle",

Did you actually download and try this update? When you download things your IP is logged; Now, I looked at the host servers (where I hosted this Zip file) listings of Download IP's and your's isn't listed as someone that even downloaded it ... ;)

Do you want to try again? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Gents,

This is the UPDATED "HUD.xml" that allows for additional AI Target/Slant Range information, better FPS refresh rates, and smoother Horizon Ladder motions etc. This update is purely the work of Fred "Horton229" Highland updating the original HUD.xml file for overall accuracy like the "Real" F-16's HUD (MLU) and for functionality in FSX.

This is my first post here on the forums, and I'd just like to say a big thank you to James for putting this out there, and of course Fred "Horton229" for all your hard work. You guys have just made my landings a thing of beauty  :rolleyes:  

I wasn't having trouble putting this fantastic bird on the ground, my problem was one of orientation to the airports. Now I can see WHERE to meet the ILS what ever you call them. Yeah I know I don't know all the terms, but I'm getting there thanks to all the great info on this forum. I was getting LOST basically, not knowing which direction to approach an airport. Now I can see which direction I CAN approach from, all I have to do is work out what direction I SHOULD be approaching from  :lol:

Anyway, thanks guys, this is one big help to me  :rolleyes:

Your Very Welcome, Mr. Tigerclaw!

Also, RE:

... I was getting LOST basically, not knowing which direction to approach an airport. Now I can see which direction I CAN approach from, all I have to do is work out what direction I SHOULD be approaching from ...
I don't know if you need this or not but I posted it for individuals that are struggling with just this kind of thing (reading and understanding how to use the navigational instruments on the aircraft).

Here: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?s=...st&p=145756

Hope this makes it more easier for you; and do let me know if you have issues/questions.

Enjoy! :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks James I checked that link out, the thread was quite helpful :) I also checked out This Thread on AN/APG-68 And I spent 2 hours trying to understand it all :lol:

I got there in the end! It was the bits about FSX assignments that confused me. (I'm totally new to FSX)

I persevered, read, and re-read, and then did it all one step at a time. I can now say that, with all the great work done in these 2 threads alone, I can now land much easier than I did before (albeit still not using ILS properly), and I can track and lock another aircraft for re-fueling. These were my main problems at this present time, and they are both solved thanks to you and Mr "Horton229"

I will continue to read any relevent threads, and I'm sure my knowledge will improve in a very short space of time.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

[EDIT]

I just found this article on Runway layouts , which I found most enlighening. At least it gives some idea of an approach vector (is that the right word?). I don't know if it's still true today, but it might help me yes?

...Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

Your Very Welcome ...

Fred is entirely responsible for all the great work done on the AN/APG-68. I've only aided the process with testing, minor bug fixes and occasional Aviation-related user feed-back. But, the EHSI and other concepts request are my inputs; however, Fred might take that over as parts of converting things from XML to C/C++. The rest is still a work in progress so, I can't comment yet.

RE:

[EDIT]

I just found this article on Runway layouts , which I found most enlighening. At least it gives some idea of an approach vector (is that the right word?). I don't know if it's still true today, but it might help me yes?

Yes, Approach Vector, is just an industrial term for the path you take for the approach. In Controlled Airspace, it is assigned by ATC. However, at NON-Controlled facilities, you can use a nearby ATIS/ASOS to obtain the "relative surface wind" direction and then choose the best headwind direction for the runway aligned to make an approach; or, call the airport staff on their UNICOM frequency [at Operational hours ONLY] and ask them for traffic advisories (which will include what runway they're using currently); or, other pilots flying at that airport currently might also be of assistance. The final option is using an AFD to get the requirements for operations outside of Airport Hours.

But all this info. is real world stuff; for FS (beside a VA) the ATIS/ASOS options will work if you are NOT using ATC for vectors to an approach.

Hope this helps.

;)

• Upvote 1

Your Very Welcome ...

RE:Yes, Approach Vector, is just an industrial term for the path you take for the approach. In Controlled Airspace, it is assigned by ATC. However, at NON-Controlled facilities, you can use a nearby ATIS/ASOS to obtain the "relative surface wind" direction and then choose the best headwind direction for the runway aligned to make an approach; or, call the airport staff on their UNICOM frequency [at Operational hours ONLY] and ask them for traffic advisories (which will include what runway they're using currently); or, other pilots flying at that airport currently might also be of assistance. The final option is using an AFD to get the requirements for operations outside of Airport Hours.

But all this info. is real world stuff; for FS (beside a VA) the ATIS/ASOS options will work if you are NOT using ATC for vectors to an approach.

Hope this helps.

;)

Everything helps James, but to be perfectly honest, I haven't got to the stage where I'm taking that much notice of ATC yet. I fly around, chose an airport on the map, get the ILS frequency, runway heading etc, then position myself quite a way away for an approach. I tune to the tower and request landing, and I normally get an all clear for "straight in" and then I land :)

I'm still reading a lot of stuff all over the place, and I'm getting there slowly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello James,

I downloaded the xml and tested it....though i have to admit with Vin, that there are no better FPM ratings AND the smoothnes was all gone...so i had to go to 18 again...

But furthermore, i dont have any probs with the HUD...

So good luck with your adjustments, but for me its no go!

Hello James,

I downloaded the xml and tested it....though i have to admit with Vin, that there are no better FPM ratings AND the smoothnes was all gone...so i had to go to 18 again...

But furthermore, i dont have any probs with the HUD...

So good luck with your adjustments, but for me its no go!

TAFKAM,

Fred was the one who made those adjustment; NOT Me. :P It was adjusted for those users that were having issues with the HUD Ladder (and other symbology) bouncing or going off the display area.

• Upvote 1

TAFKAM,

Fred was the one who made those adjustment; NOT Me. :P It was adjusted for those users that were having issues with the HUD Ladder (and other symbology) bouncing or going off the display area.

OK fair enough...