Installing scenery on alternative hard drive

Airtrooper

I have several Aerosoft FSX scenery packages that I'd like to reinstall on my re-built PC. I now I have one hard drive for the Vista 64-bit OS, one for FSX Acceleration and another for scenery. I've tried installing my scenery on the 3rd hard drive but I always get the message "Couldn't find Microsoft Flight Simulator". How can I get around this? I've checked my registry and used the FS_Registry_Repair.exe utility, so this should be in order. I could install in the FSX directory and then copy the scenery across to the 3rd HD, but I don't want to have to do this for every single scenery package, and I want to keep my hard drives in order to save time on de-fragmenting.

Hello Airtrooper,

Its looking for the FSX.exe file if it doesn't find it then it wont install.

What you can do is install it into FSX then move the folder to a new drive and then edit the scenery path in the scenery library.

Saying that if you need to install any updates then you will need to move it back to its original folder as the update installer may then not find the scenery.

Hi Shaun,

Many thanks for your reply, which confirms my suspicions. I'd reckoned the Installers are looking for FSX.exe, and that I'd have to relocate my Aerosoft scenery directories to my other hard drive.

'Tis a shame I have to go to that effort, given that I have a lot of Aerosoft scenery to install. Do you have a Suggestions Box? If so, could you add the ability to install scenery products to folders other than the FSX default. It would be wonderful to see the Installers updated progressively to include this.

I understand that people like me who have multiple hard drive PCs are in the minority, but we're a growing minority. The relentless drive to squeeze extra FPS out of FSX is driving increasing numbers to install Flight Sim on a 2nd HD and scenery on a 3rd... or at least what was what came across on the many forums I read before buying my new PC.

Anyhoo... that is my two pence for today! ;)

Thanks again for your help.

Keep up the good work

Andy

I have several Aerosoft FSX scenery packages that I'd like to reinstall on my re-built PC. I now I have one hard drive for the Vista 64-bit OS, one for FSX Acceleration and another for scenery. I've tried installing my scenery on the 3rd hard drive but I always get the message "Couldn't find Microsoft Flight Simulator". How can I get around this? I've checked my registry and used the FS_Registry_Repair.exe utility, so this should be in order. I could install in the FSX directory and then copy the scenery across to the 3rd HD, but I don't want to have to do this for every single scenery package, and I want to keep my hard drives in order to save time on de-fragmenting.

Hi Airtrooper,

I also do not really understand why this installation option is not given most of the time by installers, especially since sceneries start getting bigger and bigger.

However, I solved this by copying the FSX.exe-icon from the FSX folder to a new virtual FSX folder on another disc. Point the installer to the new FSX.exe on the other disc, and then, once installed in this other disc (you will see the installer is 'fooled' and it works), add the scenery once more manually to the FSX library (it sometimes points to the wrong files even if it seems like it is OK, so always re-add it manually pointing to the right direction). In principle sceneries install perfectly this way.

Hope it helps!

Lennard