FSX uses only 2GB of RAM on vista 64

dorcami

hi!

I bought with my new pc, 4GB of ram.

I use a Vista 64 OS.

when i open the task manager, the RAM never goes above 2GB...

as you know, vista 32 allows only 2GB for every proccess, so as i get that number, it seems as my pc limits the ram and so my frame rates...

what can i do and why my FSX is limited to 2GB of ram?!

thanks.

• Aerosoft
hi!

I bought with my new pc, 4GB of ram.

I use a Vista 64 OS.

when i open the task manager, the RAM never goes above 2GB...

as you know, vista 32 allows only 2GB for every proccess, so as i get that number, it seems as my pc limits the ram and so my frame rates...

what can i do and why my FSX is limited to 2GB of ram?!

thanks.

Even 2 Gb is rather a lot for FSX.

BUT, Vista is rather clever with memory, it understands that memory not used is 100% wasted so it preloads stuff all the time. That's why Vista fees so much smoother in use. To fully understands how Vista uses memory you need some serious tools and a lot of knowledge. My advise? Stop looking at it and enjoy FSX, let FSX and Vista sort out the memory stuff, believe me, it is pretty good at it.

Just make sure that you have patched FSX with both SP1 and SP2 (or Acceleration) and that you have ALL the latest Vista 64bit patches from MS. As long as this is done then not stressing about it further is by far the best advice.

Just because you are currently not seeing FSX go above 2GB total memory usage does not mean that it cannot do so. Crank up your settings a bit, load up PMDG's MD-11 (for example) at Mega Airport EGLL with a spot of UTX and some FEX SHD, fly for an hour or two and then see what FSX total memory usage is... 3GB+ easy!

Then, if you are interested in the memory management side of things do yourself a favour and go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx and download and install Process Explorer which replaces the rather limited default task manager. More information about using Process Explorer and what it can do for you can be found here: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3034 as well as in other places online.

Konrad