AN/APG-68 Radar

Horten229

Mr. Tom Stovll,

Here are the previous files: F_16_X_HOTAS_TRGTMGT_ANAPG_68_JFC___FH.zipDispMgmt.zip

PS: But please keep in mind that we are constantly fixing/adding/updating these mainly for our test purposes at this point; so a BACKUP is a MUST; I don't suggest you update it by overwriting at all - at least until it becomes a proper version and NOT BETA.

Thanks James, it is just common sense, why I did it this time I have no idea. Always back up when making changes.

Appreciated, Tom

Which are the latest updated files for mfd and hotas? please make a txt instractions ,please aslo include the backup files for quick restoration.

I think that the files posted are correct but maybe there was a corruption in the download; Fred could you recheck your postings? Thanks.

Gentlemen,

Please consider this a BETA release for people to test and play with and and point out problems or missing features. We are still updating these regularly and the actual release will be given to Mr. Finn and staff for evaluation, testing, and integration into their next update (if they decide to do it).

Until then, please consider this an incomplete package. You are using it at your own risk; Please make your own backups of your originals or don't use this until its out as a version package with full and proper installation instructions, etc.

Thank you for your understanding. ;)

• Upvote 1

Mr. Fred "Horton229",

However, naming the cab MFD is not a good idea. It will overwrite the Aerosoft one making it difficult for people to switch back, compare and will cause Aerosoft's updates to overwrite ours. So we need a different name. ANAPG-68.xml for now!

Yes, I see your point. At least while we are testing it and putting it out here for other, we do need to make it "idiot proof." But, I think I was thinking along the lines of the future and spoke too soon. :rolleyes: My Bad! :lol:

I don't really want to do that because a) they are not continous variables and B) I think we only have one axis left using engines 3 and 4 (but maybe since I shut the fuel valves on those engines, we can use the throttle? Still, it sounds risky.).

OK, we'll leave it just the way it is right now - perfectly functional. ;)

Sorry, I think I forgot that. I'll look into it again.

Thank you. Could you please implement it on a "Key Event"; which will allow it to loop from NAV1/NAV2/GPS (e.g. like the Radar Ranges) or assign two keys, one for UP and the other for DOWN; whichever is possible. This is important to getting the HOTAS Navigation features working; that's why. ;)

Actually, I did but it's burried in the notes (which isn't obvious). I like your approach better and I'll update the instructions. (DONE)
Saw it there but wanted to point it out just incase someone was wondering and didn't read it.

Next,

I really like what you've done with the update ANAPG-68.cab file and settings. I do have a couple of issues that I discovered in my tests.

1. RE: Cabin alert - Seatbelts (on/off) - the button for designate target/Air-to-Air mode (Target Management Switch forward) and ICP A-A Toggle from A-A & List function NO longer works in the DisplayMgmt.xml

(A:CABIN SEATBELTS ALERT SWITCH, bool) 0 !=
                        if{ 
                            <!-- Designate Target/Target Lock/Air-to-Air -->
                            1 (&gt;L:AA, bool)
                            (&gt; K:CABIN_SEATBELTS_ALERT_SWITCH_TOGGLE)

I see you've changed the original code and now the function is gone too - That really was a Must have. :o It is a great feature, when with one switch on the TQS (HOTAS), the A-A Mode is initiated on the ICP, HUD, and LMFD Radar mode all in one go. Please Please Please make it do it again. :(

2. RE: The New SMS features; I like what you've done there to seperate the MFD with the ATC number from the models configuration (making it more versitale) However the CATI and CATIII are missing from the display (See Pic Below). :( So, Should I add that to the HSI Page instead?

post-13668-1231899911_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everything. ;)

• Upvote 1

I think that the files posted are correct but maybe there was a corruption in the download; Fred could you recheck your postings? Thanks.

The latest files are referenced in the instructions on the first post in this thread. I just downloaded them and installed them and they work fine. However, I did notice that Microsoft unzip wants to put the ANAPG-68.cab file in an ANAPG-68.cab folder by default. That doesn't work. Either change the folder when you unzip it or move the .cab file after the unzip to the panel folder. I updated the instructions to make it clearer.

Next,

I really like what you've done with the update ANAPG-68.cab file and settings. I do have a couple of issues that I discovered in my tests.

1. RE: Cabin alert - Seatbelts (on/off) - the button for designate target/Air-to-Air mode (Target Management Switch forward) and ICP A-A Toggle from A-A & List function NO longer works in the DisplayMgmt.xml

(A:CABIN SEATBELTS ALERT SWITCH, bool) 0 !=
                        if{ 
                            <!-- Designate Target/Target Lock/Air-to-Air -->
                            1 (&gt;L:AA, bool)
                            (&gt; K:CABIN_SEATBELTS_ALERT_SWITCH_TOGGLE)

I see you've changed the original code and now the function is gone too - That really was a Must have. :o It is a great feature, when with one switch on the TQS (HOTAS), the A-A Mode is initiated on the ICP, HUD, and LMFD Radar mode all in one go. Please Please Please make it do it again. :(

I know this was kind-of cool but I intentionally took it out (and the reset on TMS-aft). This is not how the controls on a real F-16 work. Designating a target doesn't mean you are going to shoot it down (Air-to-Air mode) or even chase it. It means it is interesting and worth the focus of the Fire Control Radar. In SAM mode (the mode you go into when you designate from base RWS) you can designate multiple targets (Up to 4). They don't all turn red an get circles but they are system targets with altitutes. If you want to shoot it down, you are supposed to push the A-A Master Mode Select button on the IFC. It's not very HOTAS but its the way it was intended to work.

FYI, that was the old code before I discovered the KeyMap Trigger functions so you don't have to test A:CABIN SEATBELTS ALERT SWITCH anymore and toggle K:CABIN_SEATBELTS_ALERT_SWITCH_TOGGLE)

2. RE: The New SMS features; I like what you've done there to seperate the MFD with the ATC number from the models configuration (making it more versitale) However the CATI and CATIII are missing from the display (See Pic Below). :( So, Should I add that to the HSI Page instead?

Add it to the HSI page. I checked the manual and there is no CATI/III or G-limit on the SMS Inventory Page.

The new SMS is particularly useful with add-ons. I fly the DC ANG repaint most of the time and it's flight number isn't right so it doesn't show the default SMS.

Everyone,

This is just a preview of what Fred "Horton229" and I (James Chams) have been working on.

You already know about the AN/APG-68 and HOTAS features and you knew a little about the fixes to the MFD's but, you didn't know about these yet ...

HUD - (AI Aircraft) Digital Target Readout.

post-13668-1231945117_thumb.jpg

MLU (Color) MFD's.

post-13668-1231945346_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1231945360_thumb.jpg

GPS with TIS (Traffic Information Systems) [just Like TCAS but less demanding].

post-13668-1231945382_thumb.jpg

NON-Aircraft ATC ID # dependant SMS.

post-13668-1231945427_thumb.jpg

Just to name a few features that we, ourselves, wanted ... And thought that the FS Community would like to see them make it into the next update of this awesome bird. ;)

• Upvote 1

Everyone,

This is just a preview of what Fred "Horton229" and I (James Chams) have been working on.

Just to name a few features that we, ourselves, wanted ... And thought that the FS Community would like to see them make it into the next update of this awesome bird. ;)

Really breathtaking f-16 features and extensions . Keep on.

How about publishing easy-to-install betas ?

Feedback could be of benefit for all designers and a teaser for the community.

mangold

Horten 229 and James, Just a note to try to help, all seems to be working well now with one exception, after adding the number 2, 3, and 4th engine entries into the aircraft.cfg, I have sound problems. There is a heck of a racket in the cockpit and with complete shut down there are still engine sounds on the exterior view. Once I remove these entries all returns to normal with the engine shutting down properly.

Hope this helps, love the new radar and MFD's.

Thanks for listening, Tom

After some trial and error, the answer to the sound problem could be to change the number of engines in the F-16/Clean/sound/sound.cfg to 3 if you use the 3 engine group for axis or 4 if you use the 4 engine axis settings in the Aircraft.cfg.

example

number_of_engines=4

Thanks, Tom

After some trial and error, the answer to the sound problem could be to change the number of engines in the F-16/Clean/sound/sound.cfg to 3 if you use the 3 engine group for axis or 4 if you use the 4 engine axis settings in the Aircraft.cfg.

example

number_of_engines=4

Thanks, Tom

Mr. Tom Stovall,

The engine axis' for 2,3 & 4 were removed, except for their use (IF you want to use it) as an axis, instead of a Button (Key press) event. We knew using them would be tricky; but Fred and I discussed it and he changed the functionality of the revision 7 files (you have) to the revision 8 (AN/APG-68.cab) that are now in the first post; Please try those new settings with the mixture and prop axis' instead of the Throttle axis'. Do let me know what you find and thank you for keeping us informed. We have opened ears. ;):lol:

Thanks!

How about publishing easy-to-install betas ?

Feedback could be of benefit for all designers and a teaser for the community.

Gentlemen/Ladies,

We definitely want to get users feedback but the entire package is in the "BETA v0.02" development stage and is far from fully functional or complete with all we want to have ready. We will, however, post completed BETA's that we feel are ready for everyone to use. Keep it mind, we don't want to cause you all any problems (with your computers or FSX) in installing them as BETA's; when they aren't finished, don't work, or haven't been implemented (as we don't have time to build, fix, and test it ourselves); plus, providing everyone support for it at the same time. :o

But, be assured that when it is out; it should all work properly. When we feel that that is the case, we will release it as a preliminary BETA. Also, after our tests are complete, we will be submitting the entire package to Mr. Finn and staff for them to evaluate and test it; for consideration as an upgrade to the existing avionics. They will then determine how they want to do it. So, you will definitely have it; no worries. ;)

• Upvote 1

"Horten"/James

I appreciate this is all work in progress but I thought I'd give some brief feedback which includes a question. I've made the changes using the latest version of the files. The installation instructions are clear and easy to follow so thanks for that. The instruction to add guages 06 and 07 in the panel.cfg still uses the same reference and therefore the MFDs overlay each other. There's mention of this in another post I recall. The instructions read:

// MFD with AN/APG-68 and Event Driven Target Management

gauge06=ANAPG-68!LMFD, 6,310,165,170

gauge07=ANAPG-68!RMFD, 6,310,165,170

I believe this should read

gauge07=ANAPG-68!RMFD, 182,310,165,170

I've played around with your changes and I have to say that they are very impressive and are a great enhancement to an already first rate product. Its nice to have the option to enhance the complexity of one of the systems to make it more realistic and I'm pleased that some of the issues with the Left HSI have been resolved.

I am experiencing problems implementing the antenna elevation control. I have added the entries to the aircraft.cfg, being:

// AN/APG-68 - define additional engines for additional axis definitions

Engine.1 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

Engine.2 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

Engine.3 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

and have assigned engine 3 propellor axis in FSX to one of my axial controls on a Saitek X52 unit. For some reason this does not work yet it was fine before I made the latest changes (I've been playing around with earlier versions of your enhancements). The code in the LFMD xml file seems to refer to engine 3 [(A:GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:3,percent) 50 - 100 ]- I've added the [ and ] - here but no joy. At the moment my antenna is scanning between -20 and -80k feet! Until I can fix it I'm grounded.

Whilst I would appreciate some direction on how to resolve this I'd be happy to see the fix or revised instructions in the next pre-beta release.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Timc

"Horten"/James

I appreciate this is all work in progress but I thought I'd give some brief feedback which includes a question. I've made the changes using the latest version of the files. The installation instructions are clear and easy to follow so thanks for that. The instruction to add guages 06 and 07 in the panel.cfg still uses the same reference and therefore the MFDs overlay each other. There's mention of this in another post I recall. The instructions read:

gauge07=ANAPG-68!RMFD, 6,310,165,170

I believe this should read

gauge07=ANAPG-68!RMFD, 182,310,165,170

Well spotted! I wondered what the problem that Stovall reported and this explains the screen overlays (because the gauges were on the same screen area). A bit of a cut and paste error. Your update is correct and I have updated the base installation instructions on the first post of this thread.

I am experiencing problems implementing the antenna elevation control. I have added the entries to the aircraft.cfg, being:

// AN/APG-68 - define additional engines for additional axis definitions

Engine.3 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

and have assigned engine 3 propellor axis in FSX to one of my axial controls on a Saitek X52 unit. For some reason this does not work yet it was fine before I made the latest changes (I've been playing around with earlier versions of your enhancements). The code in the LFMD xml file seems to refer to engine 3 [(A:GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:3,percent) 50 - 100 ]- I've added the [ and ] - here but no joy. At the moment my antenna is scanning between -20 and -80k feet! Until I can fix it I'm grounded.

Whilst I would appreciate some direction on how to resolve this I'd be happy to see the fix or revised instructions in the next pre-beta release.

Interesting! The only change I've made in that part of the code in the past is to switch form engine 1 to engine 3. I don't have an X52 but it sounds like the zeroing may be different (or the mapping). The Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar goes from 0 to 65535 with the center at 32767 which FSX interprets to 0 - 100 percent. I wonder if the X52 is set up differently. Possibly going -32727 to 32767. Just a hack, but try removing the 50 - (which changes the the logic from adjusting 0-100 to -50 to 50). Let me know if it helps.

Interesting! The only change I've made in that part of the code in the past is to switch form engine 1 to engine 3. I don't have an X52 but it sounds like the zeroing may be different (or the mapping). The Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar goes from 0 to 65535 with the center at 32767 which FSX interprets to 0 - 100 percent. I wonder if the X52 is set up differently. Possibly going -32727 to 32767. Just a hack, but try removing the 50 - (which changes the the logic from adjusting 0-100 to -50 to 50). Let me know if it helps.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried playng wiht this setting to remove the 50 - but it seems that as soon as I touch the files I end up with blank MFDs. I deleted the 50 - entry (leaving 100 only in that line) which gave blank MFDs so reinserted the correct entry )ie 50 - 100 and they are still blank. I suspect this is something to do with the way I am editing and saving the files.

In short, i cant adjust the antenna elevation and cant adjust the coding to establish whether the mapping is different for an X52 compared to the Cougar. The only explanation I have is ineptness on my part!

It would be interesting to know if anyone else with an X52 has successfully implemented these enhancements to the FCR and MFDs.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this would also be appreciated!

Thanks,

Timc

Thanks for the advice. I've tried playng wiht this setting to remove the 50 - but it seems that as soon as I touch the files I end up with blank MFDs. I deleted the 50 - entry (leaving 100 only in that line) which gave blank MFDs so reinserted the correct entry )ie 50 - 100 and they are still blank. I suspect this is something to do with the way I am editing and saving the files.

In short, i cant adjust the antenna elevation and cant adjust the coding to establish whether the mapping is different for an X52 compared to the Cougar. The only explanation I have is ineptness on my part!

It would be interesting to know if anyone else with an X52 has successfully implemented these enhancements to the FCR and MFDs.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this would also be appreciated!

Thanks,

Timc

Tim,

Here is a zipped Cab file ANAPG_68Debug.CAB.zip with a debug statement in it. Unzip it, put the cab in your panel folder, change the panel.cfg to reference ANAPG-68Debug!LMFD and run the F-16. it will print out the actual GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:3 in the upper left of the radar screen (kind-of between the blue radar scan limit line). So you can see what you controls are actualy doing. If nothing happens (i.e., it shows a 0), check your axis settings and make sure you have the propeller level position defined correctly. But let me know what it says.

Good morning. Runing Vista 64bit, FSX+Accel (German), AS F-16 boxed v1.1, using a gamepad (no X52 no Saitec HOTAS)

Installed ANAPG_68.CAB.zip according Install insruction. See new LMFD with Acquisition Cursor and Min/Max Search Altitudes.

Azimuth Scan Width can be changed A1/A3/A6, Scan Limit Lines move accordingly, so does Antenna Tic.

In German FSX the above key event is Rotorbremse (ein/aus) instead Rotor break (apply)

Problem is Elevation Bar Scan. Elevation Antenna Tic stays in full down.

In German FSX for Rotor governor (on/off) there is only Kupplung (ein/aus) I tryed SHIFT+PERIOD and SHIFT+COMMA. No reaction on Antenna Elevation. During flight pitch changes cause Min/Max Search altitude changes. Any help?

Next Q: section 5. install instruction requires Panel.cfg addendum

// Event Driven Target Management

gauge14=......

Is that mandatory when using gamepad instead of Saitec HOTAS ?

Thanks mangold

Mr. Fred "Horton229",

That's a great feature you've added; perhaps we should add that into it's own MFD Page. A HOTAS Test configuration Page :lol:

PS: Check your PM shortly; Have something for you to play with. ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gents/Ladies,

I've recieved too many PM's asking me for the Color MFD's code (which I've already stated is NOT fully finished or properly test); But I don't want to leave you with nothing; so, enjoy these for now - I'm currently working on BETA v0.05 so please be patient.

FULL....

COLOR MFD's

post-13668-1232269156_thumb.jpg

ILS / GS _____________ GPS Directional Guidance _ Updated MAP (TIS) / Others Features.

post-13668-1232269084_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1232269101_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1232269333_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1232288625_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for now...

Enjoy! :D

• Upvote 1

Good morning. Runing Vista 64bit, FSX+Accel (German), AS F-16 boxed v1.1, using a gamepad (no X52 no Saitec HOTAS)

Installed ANAPG_68.CAB.zip according Install insruction. See new LMFD with Acquisition Cursor and Min/Max Search Altitudes.

Azimuth Scan Width can be changed A1/A3/A6, Scan Limit Lines move accordingly, so does Antenna Tic.

In German FSX the above key event is Rotorbremse (ein/aus) instead Rotor break (apply)

In German FSX for Rotor governor (on/off) there is only Kupplung (ein/aus) I tryed SHIFT+PERIOD and SHIFT+COMMA. No reaction on Antenna Elevation. During flight pitch changes cause Min/Max Search altitude changes. Any help?

You have uncovered an oversight in the current implementation. The current implementation reads the Engine 3 Propeller Axis and uses it to center the radar scan elevation. It doesn't have any alternatives. What needs to be done is to add an alternative and/or a default (i.e., if engine 3 and 4 aren't used, set the radar scan base elevation to 0 and widen elevation scan range (number of bars) to the max - not realistic but usable in simpler control configurations). I'll have to think about it. (Also, sounds like motivation for the configuration page James mentioned, but that is more complicated).

By the way, the Rotor governer (on/off) (Kupplung (ein/aus)) adjust the number of bars (1,2,3,4) and not the center range. There are three elevation windows in the radar system. The antenna has a inherent scan pattern of 4.9 degress (1 bar) of elevation. You scan set it to automatically scan additional elevation of 2, 3 or 4 bars (about 20 degrees) - the Rotor governer (on/off) (Kupplung (ein/aus) control. The AN/APG-68 has a maximum elevation scan range of 120 degress (+/- 60 degrees). The only way to use the additional elevation is to move the center of the scan pattern with the Antenna Elevation wheel. It is not automatic.

gauge14=......

Thanks mangold

No, it is not required.

Although the comment says Event Driven Target Management, it is actually Event Driven Display Management. It uses the Display Management Control (on the F-16 Side Stick Controler or equivalent) to step through MFD pages, swap screens and change some settings. It is completely separate from the Radar and HSI implementation and is not required.

gauge14=......

Thanks mangold

mangold, try checking your [GeneralEngineData] entry, it should look like this.

[GENERALENGINEDATA]

engine_type = 1

Engine.0 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

fuel_flow_scalar = 1.00

min_throttle_limit = 0.000000

max_contrail_temperature = -11.0

thrustanglepitchheading.0 = 0,0

// AN/APG-68 - define additional engines for additional axis

//Engine.3 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

When I take the // off Engine.3 I get the same thing, cursor stuck at the bottom. Works great with Engine 3 // out.

Hope this helps, Tom

Mr. Fred "Horton229",

That's a great feature you've added; perhaps we should add that into it's own MFD Page. A HOTAS Test configuration Page :lol:

Horton229 and James, I too really like the little test feature with the number at the top of the elevation scan. Keep up the good work.

Regards and thanks, Tom

Thanks mangold

I have updated the code (new cab file) in the original post of this thread and added some additional installation instrunctions.

If you are using a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar you don't have to do anything as nothing has changed (not sure about the Saitek X52 as people seem to be having some problems with that).

However, if you are using "digital" controls (or no controls at all for Antenna Elevation) I have added some new capability for Antenna Elevation.

If you would like to implement Antenna elevation, you can now use Engine 3/4 failure (on/off) controls.

If you don't have the extra buttons, the Antenna Elevation will default to 0 and the Scan Bars to 24 allowing you to view the entire elevation range of the radar.

[GENERALENGINEDATA]

engine_type = 1

fuel_flow_scalar = 1.00

When I take the // off Engine.3 I get the same thing, cursor stuck at the bottom. Works great with Engine 3 // out.

Hope this helps, Tom

But if you comment out Engine.3 the analogue (axis) cursor controls shouldn't work because they are based on Engine 4 (which is Engine.3 because Engine.0 is Engine 1). Unless you are using digital cursor controls.

Are you shure you are mapping Cursor range and azimuth to Engine 4 Propeller and Mixture (and not Engine 3)? If I comment out Engine.3 I loose the cursor.

But if you comment out Engine.3 the analogue (axis) cursor controls shouldn't work because they are based on Engine 4 (which is Engine.3 because Engine.0 is Engine 1). Unless you are using digital cursor controls.

Are you shure you are mapping Cursor range and azimuth to Engine 4 Propeller and Mixture (and not Engine 3)? If I comment out Engine.3 I loose the cursor.

Horten 229, I have been using digital control for the cursor. I will try again to map my Cougar engine 4 axis for the cursor. Axis control works great for the elevation. Thanks, Tom

[GENERALENGINEDATA]

engine_type = 1

fuel_flow_scalar = 1.00

Hope this helps, Tom

Entries are identical. I inserted //Engine.3 = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000

Howerver sorry Tom , the Elevation Antenna remains frozen.

If there is another solution please go ahead.

Günter

I have updated the code (new cab file) in the original post of this thread and added some additional installation instrunctions.

If you are using a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar you don't have to do anything as nothing has changed (not sure about the Saitek X52 as people seem to be having some problems with that).

However, if you are using "digital" controls (or no controls at all for Antenna Elevation) I have added some new capability for Antenna Elevation.

If you would like to implement Antenna elevation, you can now use Engine 3/4 failure (on/off) controls.

If you don't have the extra buttons, the Antenna Elevation will default to 0 and the Scan Bars to 24 allowing you to view the entire elevation range of the radar.

Thank you very much. Next I will install the new ANAPG_68.Cab.zip and care for

For implemeting the Antenna Elevation with buttons rather than axes:

a. DO NOT add the third or forth engines in the aircraft.cfg file (which means not axis-driven target cursor)

b. DO NOT set the Engine 3 Propeller Axis

c. DO set the following in FSX - Settings - Controls - Buttons/Keys:

• Engine 3 failure (on/off) with repeat - the button to decrease base scan elevantion (see notes on Bar Scan below)
  • Engine 4 failure (on/off) with repeat - the button to increase base scan elevantion

I wil report here

What I still not understand completely: does a moving Antenna Elevation Tic signal normal elevation antenna operation?

Regards mangold