AN/APG-68 Radar

Horten229

Gents,

Lockheed-Martin has a reputation of "Secrecy" regarding its development project; and Fred "Horton229" works for Lockheed-Martin. ;) Therefore, I can't comment too much about what's already there in the package. But, I though these pics might give you some clue as to the sophistication of the entire avionics package and if you look at the last 5->10 pic.'s at the bottom of my previous post you'll see that the HSD and ICP/DED features are already done ... ;)

Enjoy! :)

RE: "Captain BS" -

Aerosoft Staff don't take too kindly to users starting "Flaming Wars"; I certainly hope that this is NOT your intentions here, as well??? :unsure:

He reaped what he sowed... I make NO apologies for someone else's misconduct.

That is all I will say about this matter; for me, this is a closed matter. The topic of this thread is the AN/APG-68. :)

• Upvote 1

UPDATE: Thank You Mr. Scott/Mr. Finn - your code here is what made many of our improvements possible. :) But, for obvious reason both Fred and I had to rewrite all of it in the "MFD.cab". We'll be sending a BETA to you all soon ... we are currently cleaning it up and looking at other features too.

BTW: Did you see the pic's of Fred's HSD implementation. It's 100% authentic and I've finished modeling the ICP's Fuel & INS/HSI readout for all facits of flight, especially the long-range ferries. Aerosoft made a beautiful bird and, now, She flies more like the real one too. B)

PS:

I've lost all respect for you.
Thank you; I won't be lossing any sleep over it. :lol: :lol: :lol: But, as I said before, I'll pass along your Topic-related suggestions to Aerosoft staff; However, it will be up to them as to WHAT is included or not in the next update.
  • Upvote 1

OK, you guys are getting silly.

While I find all of this "discussion" about credentials, qualifications and experience interesting, it is not the topic of this thread and we would all appreciate it if you took it elsewhere.

The topic of this thread is the AN/APG-68 Fire Control Radar and its implementation for the Aerosoft F-16. It started out as an experiment to implement some of the concepts of modern FCRs to make the experience more realistic. That is still what it is about.

What we really want is feedback on the implementation, both in terms of how it works and how realistic it is. The feedback on the installation and operation has been useful.

However, the feedback on realizm has been lacking in this forum. Maybe no one here has actually flown an F-16 and maybe the feedback we are looking for is classified (in which case, I don't want it). But realism of the flying experience (avionics operation) is the driving principle behind what we are doing.

The implementation to date has been based primarily on unclassified F-16 Manuals available online. We may take some liberties in certain areas for the sake of convienice, usability, performance and FSX feature availability, but realistic operation is the guiding principle.

How does realism square with the HSI and VORs on the HSD? We are fully aware the F-16 does not have a multi-color HSI or VORs (or Aircraft, Intersections and other features) in the HSD. But these features are optional and controllable within the context of real controls. As they are useful, realtively easy to implement and some people like to have them, we have included them. But if you want a more realistic experience, turn these features off! In fact that is exactly what I do most of the time! I skip the HSI (because I'm more of a VFR kind of guy) and turn off the VORs, INTeRsections and Aircraft (that what Radar is for) on the HSD.

As to the Lockheed Martin connection to this, they have nothing to do with this and provide no support, financial or technical, or any endorsement of this activity. I do work for Lockheed Martin but in a completely separate business unit that has nothing to do with aircraft or aircraft systems. I have no access to F-16 documentation or technical data other than what is available to everyone else freely over the internet.

So lets try to keep to the topic. We will be releasing a significantly updated version of the AN/APG-68 soon and would appreciate feedback on improving the installation and operation keeping in mind that the realism of the experience is the objective.

James

You are correct, I don't like the idea of the new HSI.

And we talked about that kindly

However, the way you speak to people really bothers me. It is very rude and, well just plain rude!

Spectator or not, I think you owe it to everyone to simply post the photos, or just come clean, because it is of your decisions of not posting the latter, that this topic has gone on for so long.

Ball is in your court. Either prove to us you are indeed certified for the G5, or that you simply have your private pilots license for single engine fixed gear (which isn't a bad thing, they aren't easy to get lol)

So I'm asking you kindly so I don't have to be a spectator to this anymore.

As for Fred, I did some reading on the Radar you have been working hard on, it is amazing and I show nothing but respect towards you.

As soon as it is easy to impliment on the F-16, I shall do so (I'm not that great with editing files :P )

Regards, Diego

Thread has been re-opened.....

But do mind that it will be closed again if any posts goes off topic !!

If You like to flame each other - find a forum somewhere else !

Finn

A second thank you to Mr. Finn.

James and Horten, I would like to thank you for using your time/resources and talent to further this sim.

Here's hoping that the 2nd generation so to speak is not far away. I have been enjoying the beta for now.

I am very grateful for what you have done and are doing.

Chad (PANC)

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your inputs/suggestions. I understand that it is not easy for people to use an actual HSI without an equipment manual or actual flight instructions from a CFI(I) or other type ratings. So after reading your posts, regarding the difficulties that some of you are having reading/understanding how to use a HSI, I found something that might ease the process for you all.

So, in order to facility the usage of an actual 1000 Series HSI in a modern fighter aircraft like the F-16, I've done a little research to aid those who might be struggling with the idea of using this navigational device. And, it is designed for "Simmers" and will explain in simple language the use and function of HSI's, more specifically for the ILS functional usage and VOR Navigation: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

1940gauges.gifils-pic-520.gif

ra.gifcat-ii-rwy9.gif

Hope this helps and Enjoy! :)

• Upvote 1

UPDATE: UEP v0.23 - BETA PHASE III

Gents/Ladies,

Fred is currently updating the AN/APG-68 to use the SimConnect implementation for AI (instead of the ITraffic XML one which is problematic with Online VA's). We hope that this will/should work 100% with VA's Online like it does with default AI (like Virtuali's FSDT's/Microsoft F-18 Acceleration's Radar). Next, The HSI is also undergoing many changes to match the Military version(s) of the time; namely the Honeywell/Primus EHSI which was used in the F-15E Striker Eagle. The current implementation still looks the same but with many more implementations. After they are up and working 100%, I hope to make the changes over to the EHSI for authenticity.

But, just FYI, this is what the BETA v0.23 does (eg. like Beacon Maker Detection) - like a combined ADI/HSI in a 1000 Series P/MFD. This is currently the look but as I stated above it will change to replicate the EHSI of the period.

post-13668-1236824945_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1236822299_thumb.jpg

Fred or I will try and keep you updated.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: Here are some Pic's, you asked for, of what we've been able to achieve; Enjoy!

MFD's COLOR:

post-13668-1232609921_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1232607566_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1232608606_thumb.jpg

Authentic AN/APG-68 & HSD:

post-13668-1232607710_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1232608162_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1232607798_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1232607820_thumb.jpg

That's all folks. ;)

I think I've screwed up somewhere, or I'm not selecting a button or something. I would like some help please James :)

Not Sure if the pictures are going to show up again in the quote, but I'll try to explain what's wrong.

The second picture under the "MFD's Colour" heading shows LMFD and RMFD okay. In the left one you show a target bugged. I can do this. I can move the cursor up/down left/right and "select target".

I don't have a "Hotas" I have a "FAT ASS" so it's all done using available buttons, (as apposed to axis) on my Cyborg X joystick.

My problem is the Right MFD! There's a better picture under the heading "Authentic AN/APG-68 & HSD:" top/right picture. It shows a blue V shape, and mine doesn't. What is this, and how do I get it please? I'm assuming it's a radar cone?

I can get all the other stuff, ARPT, ILS, VOR, FPL (when I've got a flight plan), TRRN, and LBL. I don't know what INTR is, and T.I.S isn't on my MFD anyway. So any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I've re-read this thread from the very beginning (and now I have a massive headache. Literally). I got a bit confused over the "DO NOT" do this if you don't have "THAT" bits. Well as already stated, I don't think I have "that", so I didn't do it :) So far, I can move the cursor about, make the lines wider apart or narrower, and I assume point the radar up amd down. Select a target, and get it in a box in the HUD. Select A/A and get the circle with decreasing range. I think I've done everything right (edited the cfg files as instructed). So either I missed an edit, or I'm not selecting that particular feature?

Oh, please be gentle, I'm very new to FSX and the F-16. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I DO know what INTR is, it's an intersection and I can get those too. So the only one I can't seem to get is the T.I.S. Is this the blue V?

Mr. Tigerclaw,

...My problem is the Right MFD! There's a better picture under the heading "Authentic AN/APG-68 & HSD:" top/right picture. It shows a blue V shape, and mine doesn't. What is this, and how do I get it please? I'm assuming it's a radar cone?

... So the only one I can't seem to get is the T.I.S. Is this the blue V?

That is an implementation of the actual HSD's FCR (that Fred and I have now done in subsequent versions) and includes a "Visual Cue" of the FCR. In the version posted, the HSD/MAP version, that I created before Fred began the HSD, I created/attached the "FCR's Blue V" to the T.raffic I.nformation S.ystem - ACFT Button which turns ON/OFF when you click it to show AI. It only shows up if you've got AI enabled in your FS display settings and it MUST be selected on the MFD's display screen/softkey button.

Hope this answers your question(s). ;)

• Upvote 1

Mr. Tigerclaw,

That is an implementation of the actual HSD's FCR (that Fred and I have now done in subsequent versions) and includes a "Visual Cue" of the FCR. In the version posted, the HSD/MAP version, that I created before Fred began the HSD, I created/attached the "FCR's Blue V" to the T.raffic I.nformation S.ystem - ACFT Button which turns ON/OFF when you click it to show AI. It only shows up if you've got AI enabled in your FS display settings and it MUST be selected on the MFD's display screen/softkey button.

Hope this answers your question(s). ;)

Yep it sure did James, thanks for that. At least I know I haven't done anything wrong, and I never missed the bits I wanted.

Cheers, Tony

Guten Tag Mr Horten229

As an avid user of your AN/APG-68 Radar I like to give some input.

1) the Bug Velocity Vector of the red Bugged Target symbol is sometimes not visible because the two white vertical bars of the Acquisition Cursor are set too narrow.

Can this be corrected without conflicting Min/Max Search Altitude indication?

2) After bugging a target the symbol turns red.

In Map Mode of the RMFD the bugged target starts to flash BLUE. Why blue.

Why not let it consequently flash red. On the green TRRN Map mode background blue is of poor contrast and invisible over water.

3) Label T.I.S. for OSB7 in RMFD is no authentic F-16 acronym. Why not leave aerosoft genuine label ACFT?

4) according to your intitial AN/APG-68 posting I implemented all important

Controls - Button/Keys . However the last two do not work.

------cit. start

And in FSX - Settings - Controls Buttons/Keys set

[snip]

Decision height (increase) - the button for extending map range (not supported on F-16 SSC)

Decision height (decrease) - the button for reducing map range (not supported on F-16 SSC)

------cit. end

Any hint why map range in/decrase refuses to work via keyboard?

5) I cannot see the new colored HSD. Did I read your installation instructions not carefull enough?

With great respect about your extensiones and regards

mangold

• 1 month later...
post-20904-1230341035_thumb.jpg

Installation:

The following assumes Microsoft FSX and Aerosoft F-16 is installed in the default location.

Also, those of you following the HOTAS Target Management thread, this replaces (and supports) those functions and works with the Display Management update.

1. Download the file ANAPG_68.CAB.zip to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16A 9\Panel. Unzip it and plance the ANAPG-68.cab in the Panel folder (Note: Microsoft wants to place the unzipped ANAPG-68.cab file in an ANAPG-68.cab folder. Either edit the folder name or move it after the unzip.) Copy it to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16AM Display\Panel

2. Replace guage06 with the following in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16A 9\Panel\Panel.cfg and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16AM Display\Panel

Can someone tell me why i can't download the files on this topic?

This package is grown into this: Poll: For Future Developements In U.e.p.'s Mlu Mfd's, U.E.P. is Currently in BETA v0.25 and is currently in BETA development. Feel free to cast your vote and comment on any inputs to the project.

:)

With other words, people interested in Horten226 Radar are forced into JamesChams poll ("....I would like to get an opinion poll.....")

This is a public Aerosoft forum.

JamesChams manipulated Horten226 thread in such a way that AN/APG-68 Radar is not downloadable anymore WITHOUT taking part in JamesChams poll. Does this have Aerosoft permission?

Horten226 AN/APG-68 Radar was a well documented free downloadable stand alone package.

Now JamesChams has taken control and has chutzpah/Kühnheit/Uverfrorenheit to say "Feel free to cast your vote...."

I.e.: No Chams poll, no Horten226 Radar anymore. I do not feel free, I feel blackmailed.

If I remember correctly, the forumadministrator felt obliged to delete some JamesChams postings in this thread. In case Mr.Chams gives reason to become compltely banned from Aerosoft forum Horten226 wonderfull F-16 enhancement is ruined.

This shurely is not of interest for coming F-16 aficionados nor for Horten226 .

Mr Chams, please do not take my words as offence, instead take them as Labor of Love (your term) for Horten226 Radar

I want to open your eyes and beg you to give Horten226 AN/APG-68 Radar download unrestricted free again to the public..

Mangold

Good luck Mangold. Even with black-and-white proof that james "shams" is a liar, apparently nobody here has the cajones to do anything about it.

Fortunately for all of us, james' posts are now moderated, so he's no longer able post his ridiculous personal attacks. You'll still have to watch out for his twin "Col. Tom E", who just happened to register the same day that james' posting priviledges were reduced. That's just a coincidence, I'm sure.

:huh:Here are some of my "Full-Color" proof's....

...black-and-white proof that james "shams" is a liar, apparently nobody here has the cajones to do anything about it....
We have yet to see ONE of your "so-called" - "black-and-white proof" and we obviously won't be anytime soon either. :rolleyes:

:P:lol::P:lol::P:lol::P

• Upvote 1

Any possibility of this mod having an auto-installer (EXE type) to make it easier to install when its released? The installation procedure for Horten's mod was rather lengthy and complicated so it might discourage less experienced users from downloading it.

The provided directions were very detailed and easy to follow, it just takes a little bit more effort than the average addon. I am happy to do whatever it takes to install this mod when it comes out, but I think an auto-installer would be a big plus for the project, if possible :).

Any possibility of this mod having an auto-installer (EXE type) to make it easier to install when its released? ... if possible :)

Mr. M2769,

I plan on doing just that, an Auto-installer. However, there are some limitations which, currently, preclude the text file(s) .cfg modifications. That would mean that currently it would either have to be done using the installer to replace the original .cfg files (so you lose your addon repaints, tweaks - like A2A Shockwave lights settings) OR you manually install the additional statements into your own copies of the .cfg files. Which ever way we end up doing it, I can guarantee you that there will be easy-to-use instructions (.PDF, .txt and/or .html) and the remainder of the installation process will be done by the installer.

So no worries.

:)

• Upvote 1

If we can stop this childisch thing about being a pilot or not.....

Even if you are a Cessna pilot or a Gulfstream pilot, doesnt mean you know everything about the F-16...........you do know about Avionics...

Eventhough i have mixed up feelings about James (dont get me wrong here, wont say that i'am normal!), does'nt mean he has no eye for some details....still what he like's (what a lot of the guys here wants) to achieve, i guess, is some more reality in the Aerosofts F-16, wich in this case is the one of the main set up of this whole forum as well as to help people with all their questions, so that would be the thing that we really have to discuss about...

But i believe that James as well as Horten are working hard on the new MFD's etc, so i guess thats also the reason why they have taken the link, there its being upgradet...

Please people, leave all the personal stuf behind, and keep it professional...

............... as well as i have to do so...if not..you can kick me! :D:D

Any possibility of this mod having an auto-installer (EXE type) to make it easier to install when its released? The installation procedure for Horten's mod was rather lengthy and complicated so it might discourage less experienced users from downloading it.

The provided directions were very detailed and easy to follow, it just takes a little bit more effort than the average addon. I am happy to do whatever it takes to install this mod when it comes out, but I think an auto-installer would be a big plus for the project, if possible :) .

I agree...I am interested in this mod but not if it is overly complicated to install. Even just a copy and paste of folders and files that were modified would be nice! Thanks for the work on this...

Hello Folks,

Gentleman If this inhouse bickering about who is what and who does what carries on there be a few banned accounts.

You have all been warned a final time.

Kack911 I have set your posts to moderator view as from now as it seems you just dont know when to call it a day.

Seems like you can do your fair share of antagonising.