AN/APG-68 Radar

Horten229

Note: This post was last updated on Monday, January 18, 2009 and references the latest version of this work.

Also note that the January 11th update greatly simplified the installtion buy using an standard .cab file for the gauge. This replaces the previous appraoch of updating the Aerosoft LMFD.xml file. It also changes some of the FSX axis settings. So read carefully.

The radar MFD implementation on Aerosoft's F-16, which is essentially an augmented GPS map, is a useful tool for chasing AI traffic. However, real F-16 AN/APG-68 radar (http://www.es.northropgrumman.com/solution...ssets/APG68.pdf) is a very different and more complicated system.

In the interest of adding further realism to the Aerosoft's F-16, I have developed a modification the LMFD.xml gauge to implement a more realistic AN/APG-68 radar system and the associated HOTAS controls. It doesn't support everything the real system does but it supports a lot. I am releasing it in beta for testing by others.

post-20904-1230341035_thumb.jpg

Features of the AN/APG-68 Radar (beta version):

• B-Scope (Azimuth and Range) Display
  • Proper target symbologies and colors
  • Azimuth, Range and Elevation filtering
  • Air-to-Air Radar Modes (non-weapons)
    • Combined Radar Mode (CRM)
      • (Extended) Range While Search (RWS) – display all targets in range
        • (Multi-Target) Situation Awareness Mode (SAM) – all targets in range with additional data on up to 4 selected targets
        • Single Target Track (STT) – focus on designated target, others hidden
      • Track While Scan (TWS) – details on up to 10 targets
    • Air Combat Maneuvering (ACM) Mode – automatic acquisition of in range target
      • HUD Mode
      • Vertical Mode
      • Bore Mode
      • Slew Mode
Other controls

• F-16 SSC Target Management Switch (4 position)
  • F-16 SSC Expand/FOV – 2x and 4x zoom (1 position)
  • F-16 TQS Dogfight/Missile Override Switch (2 position)
  • F-16 TQS Antenna Elevation wheel
  • F-16 TQS Target Cursor – selection of targets and radar slew
  • Azimuth Scan Width – 60, 30, and 10 degree scans controlled by MFD mouse region
  • Elevation Bar Scan – 4, 3, 2, or 1 bar settings controlled by MFD mouse region
Features of the AN/APG-68 Radar NOT Implemented:

• Air-to-Ground Radar Modes
    • Ground Mapping (GM)/Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)/Real Beam Map (RBM)/Enhanced Ground Map (EGM)
    • Seaborne Target scan (SEA)/Enhanced Sea Search (ESEA)
    • Ground Moving Target (GMT)/Ground Moving Target Indicator (GMTI)/Ground Moving Target Track (GMTT)
    • Beacon (BCN)
    • Air-to-Ground Ranging (AGR)
    • Situation Awareness Mode in Ground Map (SAM in GM)
    • Doppler Beam Sharpening (DBS)
    • Fixed Target Track (FTT)
Usage Instructions:

The AN/APG-68 radar is complicated! I am not going to try to write an instruction manual for it. Rather, I direct you to F-16 A/B Mid-Life Update: Pilot's Guide to New Capabilities & Cockpit Enhancements (16PR14341), Section 3 – Air-To-Air Radar (http://www.scribd.com/doc/2326267/F16-MLU-Manual-Part-1" target="_blank">http://www.scribd.com/doc/2326267/F16-MLU-Manual-Part-1). This is for the AN/APG-66v2 but the operation is similar.

A few differences to be aware of:

• The Step Bug switch (CABIN_NO_SMOKING_ALERT_SWITCH_TOGGLE) cannot be implemented to detect a >1 second hold to transition from RWS to TWS. Instead, the mode switch is done with a double click (<.4 seconds).
  • The Dogfight/Missile Override switch on some controllers (e.g., Thurstmaster HOTAS Cougar) does on work like the real F-16 TQS. It is implemented with a two key event toggles and you may have to bump the switch a second time to change modes.
  • There are no friendly targets so there are no green targets on the display.
  • You may need to move the (Target) RDR Cursor and Ant Elevation wheel on intial startup. They sometimes have invalid values initially (an FSX/Microsoft issue)
  • You have to use the target cursor (which means you have to provide a two axis control for it).
  • When you bug a target in some modes, you may loose it if it goes out of scan range (particularly elevation). Try turning the elevation wheel (Ant Elev) to re-aquire.

Other notes:

• Radar Elevation: The radar elevation scan area is only about 20 degrees. You may have to adjust the Antenna Elevation (GENERAL ENG PROPELLER LEVER POSITION:3) control to find your target.
  • Frame rates: My testing indicates that the frame rates are at least 10% faster than the original radar (probably due to extensive target filtering)!
Installation:

The following assumes Microsoft FSX and Aerosoft F-16 is installed in the default location.

Also, those of you following the HOTAS Target Management thread, this replaces (and supports) those functions and works with the Display Management update.

1. Download the file ANAPG_68.CAB.zip to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16A 9\Panel. Unzip it and plance the ANAPG-68.cab in the Panel folder (Note: Microsoft wants to place the unzipped ANAPG-68.cab file in an ANAPG-68.cab folder. Either edit the folder name or move it after the unzip.) Copy it to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16AM Display\Panel

2. Replace guage06 with the following in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16A 9\Panel\Panel.cfg and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16AM Display\Panel

// MFD with AN/APG-68 and Event Driven Target Management
gauge06=ANAPG-68!LMFD, 6,310,165,170
gauge07=ANAPG-68!RMFD, 182,310,165,170
3. Add the following lines to the [GENERALENGINEDATA] section of the appropriate aircraft.cfg file
// AN/APG-68 - define additional engines for additional axis definitions
Engine.1   = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000
Engine.2   = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000
Engine.3   = -14.500, 0.000, 0.000
4. In FSX - Settings - Controls - Buttons/Keys set
  • Cabin alert - No Smoking (on/off) - the button for step bug/select next target (Target Management Switch right)
  • Cabin alert - Seatbelts (on/off) - the button for designate target/Air-to-Air mode (Target Management Switch forward)
  • De-ice (on/off) - the button for disable Air-to-Air mode (Target Management Switch reverse)
  • Altnerate static source (on/off) - the button for toggling Aerial Refueling (A/R DISC (index finger button))
  • Cowl flaps (open incrementally) - the button for selecting Air Combat Maneuver mode (Dogfight)
  • Cowl flaps (close incrementally) - the button for deselecting Air Combat Maneuver mode and selecting Missile Override Mode (MSL OVRD)
  • Ballast valve (open/close) - the button for zooming the radar screen (Expand/FOV)
And in FSX - Settings - Controls - Control Axes set
  • Engine 3 Propeller Axis - the control for Antenna Elevation
  • Engine 4 Propeller Axis - the control for RDR Cursor Range (Y) movement (Toe brake left)
  • Engine 4 Mixture Axis - the control for RDR Cursor Azimuth (X) movement (Toe brake right)
For implemeting the target cursor with buttons rather than axes: a. DO NOT add the forth engine in the aircraft.cfg file b. DO NOT set the Engine 4 Propeller Axis and Mixture Axis c. DO set the following in FSX - Settings - Controls - Buttons/Keys:
  • Autobreak (increase) with repeat - the button for cursor right (azimuth)
  • Autobreak (decrease) with repeat - the button for cursor left (azimuth)
  • Governor beep (increase) with repeat - the button for target cursor up (range)
  • Governor beep (decrease) with repeat - the button for target cursor down (range)
For implemeting the Antenna Elevation with buttons rather than axes: a. DO NOT add the third or forth engines in the aircraft.cfg file (which means not axis-driven target cursor) b. DO NOT set the Engine 3 Propeller Axis c. DO set the following in FSX - Settings - Controls - Buttons/Keys:
  • Engine 3 failure (on/off) with repeat - the button to decrease base scan elevantion (see notes on Bar Scan below)
  • Engine 4 failure (on/off) with repeat - the button to increase base scan elevantion
To implemet the button control for Azimuth Scan Width (OSB 18) and Elevation Bar Scan (OSB 17) (these both have on screen mouse controls) set the following in FSX - Settings - Controls - Buttons/Keys:
  • Rotor break (apply) - the button for Azimuth Scan Width (OSB 18)
  • Rotor governor (on/off) - the button for Elevation Bar Scan (OSB 17)
5. This file also supports the Display Management functions in HOTAS Target Management but supercedes the target management functions discussed in that thread. To implement Display Management add the following guage to the Panel.cfg files in the above folders:
// Event Driven Display Management<BR>gauge14=ANAPG-68!DispMgmt, 0,0,1,1

And in FSX - Settings - Controls Buttons/Keys set

• Concorde nose & visor (extend) - the button for swapping the Display of Interest (DOI) to the opposite MFD (Display Management Aft)
  • Concorde nose/visor (increase) - the button for cycling screen format on the current MFD to the next right format (Display Management Right)
  • Concorde nose/visor (decrease) - the button for cycling screen format on the current MFD to the next left format (Display Management Left)
  • Backup electric vacuum pump (on/off) - the button for extending radar and map range (Expand/Field of View Switch (pinky switch))
  • Attitude bars (move up) - the button for extending radar range (not supported on F-16 SSC)
  • Attitude bars (move down) - the button for reducing radar range (not supported on F-16 SSC)
  • Decision height (increase) - the button for extending map range (not supported on F-16 SSC)
  • Decision height (decrease) - the button for reducing map range (not supported on F-16 SSC)
Event Driven Display Management is independent of the AN/APG-68 implementation but works with the displays it supports.

Notes:

1. This has been tested with Aerosoft F-16 Versions 1.01, 1.10, 1.11 and 1.20. It may not work with future changes.

2. No warrentees are expressed or implied. Bug reports will be gratefully accepted but will get fixed only if I have time.

3. The ANAPG-68.cab file includes a new version of the SMS page. It looks like the old page but is actually dynamically built from the aircraft.cfg file station defintions. Hence, it will work with add-on F-16s regardless of flight number! It assumes that the name for stores follows the aerosoft naming convention (see other Aerosoft aircraft.cfg files) and that the stores are specified in left to right (or right to left) order in the aircraft.cfg file.

4. The ANAPG-68.cab file includes an updated version of the HSI (thanks to James Chames) with some bugs corrected

5. IMPORTANT: For the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (with CH PRO rudder pedals), the Microstick X and Y axes had to be remapped to the Left Toe Brake and Right Toe Brake, respectively. The left and right toe breaks on the HOTAS Cougar are not used in this configuration because they are on the CH PRO rudder pedals. This is necessary because DirectX only allows 8 axes per device (The HOTAS Cougar Stick and Throttle are considered one device but the CH PRO Pedal is a separate device). Something similar will have to be done to use the Saitek X52 or other devices.

6. Scan Bars and Antenna Elevation: Special rules are implemented to support users without more capable controls (like the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar and Saitek X52 controls). If Engines three and four are not defined, the Antenna Elevation defaults to 0 and the Bar Scans to 24. This gives a veiw of the full elevation scan range of the radar without requiring the use of those controls. If key-based elevation controls are used (Engine 3/4 failure (on/off)) the Scan Bars setting reverts to 4 on first use.

ANAPG_68.CAB.zip

Mr. Kok,

I think that Fred "Horton229", here, needs a job as a gauge programmer with Aerosoft.... Or, Should I say, Aerosoft needs a gauge programmer like Fred; Which ever is correct. Either way, in my humble opinion, that should be done! ;)

Regards,

Talent Scout

=====================

Thanks Fred; This is really awesome! B)

As before, I'll add this too, sometime this week (after I get back to my regular schedule from the Holidays) and let you know how things are working. I wonder if the Aerosoft Team will consider adding the A-G component; which would work really nice with FSX's Acceleration and the "Flower Bomb's" Objects for A-G Missions; to this next updates? Perhaps, I'll wait to mention that in my next "Bug Report" :lol: But before that, I will need to install v1.20 before I can do that and all the other functions, Users textures, REDUX Lights, etc. Finally, I am also considering writing a Batch File to do all of this automatically; I've now having to do it all for the 3rd time and it's a lot of unnecessary repetative work. :huh:

Finally, thank you very much; I know that many users will love these for a full "combat" bird. B)

But for now, I hope Mr. Finn and the Guy's fixed the Faulty Navigation equipment in the MFD's in v1.20... :lol:

Later and Thank you very very much!

• Upvote 1

Mr. Kok,

I think that Fred "Horton229", here, needs a job as a gauge programmer with Aerosoft.... Or, Should I say, Aerosoft needs a gauge programmer like Fred; Which ever is correct. Either way, in my humble opinion, that should be done! ;)

Regards,

Talent Scout

=====================

Thanks Fred; This is really awesome! B)

As before, I'll add this too, sometime this week (after I get back to my regular schedule from the Holidays) and let you know how things are working. I wonder if the Aerosoft Team will consider adding the A-G component; which would work really nice with FSX's Acceleration and the "Flower Bomb's" Objects for A-G Missions; to this next updates? Perhaps, I'll wait to mention that in my next "Bug Report" :lol: But before that, I will need to install v1.20 before I can do that and all the other functions, Users textures, REDUX Lights, etc. Finally, I am also considering writing a Batch File to do all of this automatically; I've now having to do it all for the 3rd time and it's a lot of unnecessary repetative work. :huh:

Finally, thank you very much; I know that many users will love these for a full "combat" bird. B)

But for now, I hope Mr. Finn and the Guy's fixed the Faulty Navigation equipment in the MFD's in v1.20... :lol:

Later and Thank you very very much!

James,

Thanks for the compliment but I don't need a job a a gauge programmer. I already have a job that keeps me too busy. I just had a few weeks off for the hollidays, got curious about the radar systems and exercised some of my coding skills for fun!

On 1.20, the updates aren't that bad. They changed all (most?) of the aircraft.cfg files but it was to improve the realizm of the flight models.

On A2G, there are two aspects to this. The first is updating the radar and HUD to support it. As mentioned in my post, there are a number of separate modes for A2G missions and also special HUD pages. It's probably a lot of work. And then there is the ordinance. I have some thoughts on that that I may start a separate thread on. But you can implement some ordinance easily with add-ons that are already there (http://www.simviation.com/simviation/stati...D=69&page=7 - FSX Weapons Pack). They are just somewhat limited in their current state.

Guten Tag Horten

I think your AN/APG-68 beta radar LMFD.xml gauge is an exiting contribution to aerosofts outstanding F-16.

My respect and admiration that for.

Since I am doing nearly all my (Vista 64bit PC) FSX+Acceleration flying online I like to ask you:

can your radar "see" online traffic in networks like IVAO or VATSIM ?

Furthermore your gauge is integrated into the f16 panel in place of the original LMFD correct?

Your gauge shows all 20 option select buttons according to your picture.

The original LMFD can only show 15 OSBs otherwise there would be conflict with the HUD ICP.

Could you be so kind and send a picture showing the complete F-16 upper front panel.

Last question. Is vital data of a designated radar target displayed in HUD ?

Thanks in advance

Günter

Guten Tag Horten

I think your AN/APG-68 beta radar LMFD.xml gauge is an exiting contribution to aerosofts outstanding F-16.

My respect and admiration that for.

Since I am doing nearly all my (Vista 64bit PC) FSX+Acceleration flying online I like to ask you:

can your radar "see" online traffic in networks like IVAO or VATSIM ?

Furthermore your gauge is integrated into the f16 panel in place of the original LMFD correct?

Your gauge shows all 20 option select buttons according to your picture.

The original LMFD can only show 15 OSBs otherwise there would be conflict with the HUD ICP.

Could you be so kind and send a picture showing the complete F-16 upper front panel.

Last question. Is vital data of a designated radar target displayed in HUD ?

Thanks in advance

Günter

In terms of compatibility with online network traffic, I don't know. There was some discussion on other F-16 threads about the original radar being compatible. I am getting the data from the same source (C:ITrafficInfo). The only thing that may be an issue is the target identification. I am using the Transponder ID as the identifier. I don't know how that works online. (Sorry for such a low level answer - hope it makes sense.)

As to integration with the original LMFD, it does integrate in place of the orginal LMFD and uses the original Aerosoft code for the SMS and HSI pages from that gauge (which is why you have to modify the original code).

OSBs: The update shows some additional information (Azimuth and Bars) but implements the same on-screen controls as the original. I guess I could have implemented those controls but haven't yet (and there isn't a lot of utility in them in the simulation) Azimuth is fixed at 120 degrees and Bars at 4 except in ACM mode where the Azimuth and Elevation is predefined for each mode.

A picture? Here is a full screen shot (from Andrews AFB).

post-20904-1230406197_thumb.jpg

HUD integration works. I set the same variables as the original and I have verified that you get a target box and range/bearing information. If you note the image above, the bugged target on the radar (red) is pointed to on the HUD (at the top) which is in target mode. It's out of the HUD range so you don't see a target box, but it's there (I've chased AI planes with it). But if you see anything missing, let me know.

By the way, Map integration on the RMFD also works (the bugged targets turn blue). (The bugged target is the blue box in the upper left of the map.)

In terms of compatibility with online network traffic, I don't know. There was some discussion on other F-16 threads about the original radar being compatible. I am getting the data from the same source (C:ITrafficInfo). The only thing that may be an issue is the target identification. I am using the Transponder ID as the identifier. I don't know how that works online. (Sorry for such a low level answer - hope it makes sense.)

As to integration with the original LMFD, it does integrate in place of the orginal LMFD and uses the original Aerosoft code for the SMS and HSI pages from that gauge (which is why you have to modify the original code).

OSBs: The update shows some additional information (Azimuth and Bars) but implements the same on-screen controls as the original. I guess I could have implemented those controls but haven't yet (and there isn't a lot of utility in them in the simulation) Azimuth is fixed at 120 degrees and Bars at 4 except in ACM mode where the Azimuth and Elevation is predefined for each mode.

A picture? Here is a full screen shot (from Andrews AFB).

post-20904-1230406197_thumb.jpg

HUD integration works. I set the same variables as the original and I have verified that you get a target box and range/bearing information. If you note the image above, the bugged target on the radar (red) is pointed to on the HUD (at the top) which is in target mode. It's out of the HUD range so you don't see a target box, but it's there (I've chased AI planes with it). But if you see anything missing, let me know.

By the way, Map integration on the RMFD also works (the bugged targets turn blue). (The bugged target is the blue box in the upper left of the map.)

Thanks Fred "Horton229",

These are really great; I can't wait to install it on my F-16 v1.2 and have it all working just like the real aircraft. :D

Also, just to verify, you have updated these files and I should replace them with the one's that were downloaded before, right? ??? :unsure:

Finally, you deserved to get paid for all this hard work and, Mr. Kok would do well to hire you, on the side, if not full time. ;)

Thanks - I'll let you know how it all comes together. B)

• Upvote 1

According to my findings the aerosoft radar canNOT show online traffic (here IVAO) which is a sad sad flaw of this outstanding piece of FSX software. Maybe a naive observation of mine: the FSX Acceleration F-18 radar looks and acts very similar to the aerosoft f16 radar and CAN show online traffic. No idea how the Acceleration designers did that.

Saw your attachment=3465:F_16_Coc...ANAPG_68.jpg. Precise integration Mr. Horten

Being curious what further improvements you create and implement. I am already dreaming about a Falcon4 radar/HUD (only read manuals, never used the software)

Breathtaking, exciting . Continue !

Much health and success in 2009 for you and relatives - and indeed the aerosoft f16 designers.

Regards, Günter

I have updated the files (and the instructions - added one file) to simulate the effects of the mechanical scanning antenna on the AN/APG-68. In addition to making the behavior more realistic and improving performance, it has some profound effects on the use of the system.

The antenna on the AN/APG-68 scans for targets in a narrow beam that sweeps the azimuth in front of the F-16 over a period of time. From data avaiable (Falcon 4 files) it appears that it takes about 3 seconds to sweep the full 120 degree range at one bar elevation. With the maximum elevation sweep setting of 4 bars (about 20 degrees), it takes about 12 seconds for a complete sweep. That means radar targets only get updated every 12 seconds and not 6 times a second like the initial version did. This is the worst case which is in RWS mode. Setting the Azimuth or Elevation (Bars) lower increases the scan rate. Bugged targets also gets a target more scan time to get better information. And going to ACM focuses the beam on a single target allowing the maximum update rate. These characteristics are why they are multiple radar modes.

The updates simulate the antenna characteristics. The targets are now processed over a period equal to the sweep time for the antenna given the current Azimuth and Elevation settings. Their symbol on the screen is the last position scanned and is updated only when rescanned. Bugged targets are given higher priority and scanned continuously, as before. And going to ACM mode results in continuous target scanning. The different update rates can be seen on the screen in use as the targets update at different times.

In addition to being more realistic, the targets in search mode are processed at a much lower rate (about once every 12 seconds vs 6 times a second for unbugged targets) resulting in a performance improvement of about 5%.

And since the use of Azimuth and Bar settings is now meaningful, I added mouse controls to set their values. These controls only work on the display (near the setting values). Activating the OSB buttons next to the display will require that Aerosoft change something in its model definition (at least I don't know how to do it). I also updated the display to widen the azimuth bars and make them ajust to azimuth settings.

The updates are in the usual files mentioned in the original post. On additional file (corresponding instructions) had to be added to support the Azimuth and Bar controls.

FYI, just updated the ANAPG-68Init.xml file to fix the omission of the aircraft pitch from the radar elevation scan calculations.

Also, FYI, I am also working on implementing the target cursor function. I have the basic display cursor working but have to implement the interaction with the other radar modes.

FYI, just updated the ANAPG-68Init.xml file to fix the omission of the aircraft pitch from the radar elevation scan calculations.

Also, FYI, I am also working on implementing the target cursor function. I have the basic display cursor working but have to implement the interaction with the other radar modes.

Happy New Year - Mr. Fred "Horton229"!

I hope you had time for some fun with all the work you've put into this. :lol: I'll re-download these files and test them within the next week; after I get some time off from my work. I am greatly encouraged by these advances... :o:DB) I can't wait to test them out along with Mr. Finn's and Mr. Dag's updates/Fixes in the v1.2; which I have yet to install. I've just been too busy Partying after a hard year... :D:lol:;)

Later! ... and as always, Thank You! ;)

PS: I'm putting all of this together in a PDF Manual and, perhaps, with an installation package too.

• Upvote 1

Horten

I'm trying to make the changes set out in this post having successfully implemented the joystick controls from your earlier post. The latter is great by the way. When trying to access the 'init' and 'mouse' files I get this message:

The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Would you know whether this is due to a problem at my end and if I am doing something wrong? The 'mouse' and 'radar' files open fine.

Thanks in advance.

Timc

Horten

I'm trying to make the changes set out in this post having successfully implemented the joystick controls from your earlier post. The latter is great by the way. When trying to access the 'init' and 'mouse' files I get this message:

The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Would you know whether this is due to a problem at my end and if I am doing something wrong? The 'mouse' and 'radar' files open fine.

Thanks in advance.

Timc

You're not really doing anything wrong, but my instructions weren't clear.

The four XML files linked aren't really XML files but XML file snippets. I'm surprised they open at all but the key is in the messages after the one you posted (in IE). ANAPG-68Radar.xml and ANAPG-68Events.xml actually contain a single top level tag, which is what IE is looking for. ANAPG-68Init.xml is just gauge expressions, which IE doesn't recognize, and ANAPG-68Mouse.xml is two top level tags (which IE doesn't like).

Right click on the mouse, select Save Target As... and save them somewhere. Then insert the code from the saved files.

The holiday season is comming to an end but the AN/APG-68 Radar simulation is finally done (at least all of the air-to-air functions are implemented and I don't know any problems).

The final update was to add target cursor and related functionality. Be warned, this changed some of the Target Management Switch behavior. Updates include:

• Support for a two axis analogue target cursor (FQS RDR Cursor)
  • Target Cursor display with min/max search altitude on the MFD
  • Search for targets under the target cursor
  • Dynamic azimuth limit lines based on radar modes (both azimuth width and target/cursor specified center)
  • Updated Target Manatgement Switch functions to use target cursor designation (including search modes)
  • ACM SLEW mode
Note that the new TMS functions are not the same as the old ones. In particular, the Target Cursor must be used to identify targets and not TMS-right.

The target cursor function is based on analogue controls. However, they are effectively used digitally and could be replaced by digital controls. Let me know if this is needed, it shouldn't be difficult.

Mr. Fred "Horton229",

I knew there was a (wise) reason I didn't begin implementing everything just yet. I've already been thinking about all of these features and wished you'd implement them completely. Now that you're "almost" done, I just need to start a test bed for all these modifications. With your permission, I'd like to do the following:-

1. Combine all features in a seperate but wholly compatible gauge file (.cab); apart from the default LMFD.xml (LMFD.Cab) file.

2. Add FS Keyboard commands/Axis to each function combination for the users [NON reserved keys].

3. Add FSUIPC or Foxy 4.0 Key mapping implementations for multi-mode HOTAS features (ie. same key can cause 3 or more function to trigger depending on what Mode the Radar is in A-G/A-A/NAV, etc.).

4. Document everything (with pictures) in a PDF and create an Installation (.Zip) file; so that all users can easily install it repeatedly as updates are done (1.2 ... 1.5) to the aircraft's gauges.

5. Test it completely for FSX + SP2 / Acceleration.

That's what I had in mind from the beginning when you started producing all these outstanding HOTAS and Radar features.

I'll post them shortly after I get a working model.

This is Really Awesome; Thanks again! ;)

• Upvote 1

You're not really doing anything wrong, but my instructions weren't clear.

The four XML files linked aren't really XML files but XML file snippets. I'm surprised they open at all but the key is in the messages after the one you posted (in IE). ANAPG-68Radar.xml and ANAPG-68Events.xml actually contain a single top level tag, which is what IE is looking for. ANAPG-68Init.xml is just gauge expressions, which IE doesn't recognize, and ANAPG-68Mouse.xml is two top level tags (which IE doesn't like).

Right click on the mouse, select Save Target As... and save them somewhere. Then insert the code from the saved files.

Horten

Doh! Many thanks.

Timc

Very good try

keep updating also if we can have the realistic cursore"w" and not the +

Interesting.

The documentation I have doesn't show either a + or a "w". More specifically:

post-20904-1231198025_thumb.jpg

(from F-16 A/B Mid-Life Update, Production Tape M1, The Pilot's Guide.)

At least I should remove the +

I updated the Events and Radar files to implement a button based target cursor. It is auto-sensed based on the key, axis and aircraft.cfg defintiions used (see the instructions).

Mr. Fred "Horton229",

On the tasks you suggest:

1. Combine all features in a seperate but wholly compatible gauge file (.cab); apart from the default LMFD.xml (LMFD.Cab) file.

Easier said than done. That's how I started off but found there were issues with multiple gauges (that operate a different times depending on display page requested) inhabiting the same screeen area. They overwrote each other in uncontrolable ways due to timing. However, the code is much more tightly packaged now and maybe it could be made to work. It would still require that the original Radar display be removed, but maybe that is all. I'll try it this weekend. (All this inserting code into the Aerosoft code is problematic.)

2. Add FS Keyboard commands/Axis to each function combination for the users [NON reserved keys].

Aren't we there? Separate keys does not look possible as FSX has assigned most of the keyboard keys to something. But suggested substitutions for Key Events are welcome.

3. Add FSUIPC or Foxy 4.0 Key mapping implementations for multi-mode HOTAS features (ie. same key can cause 3 or more function to trigger depending on what Mode the Radar is in A-G/A-A/NAV, etc.).

Sounds like a good idea especially as we get into the complexities of Air-to-Ground. However, I have found this raises an issue. At least on my HOTAS Cougar, putting the stick into the mode that allows this programming takes it out of DirectX interface mode which means all bets are off in mapping FSX Key Events to the stick (or at least I don't know how to do it.)

4. Document everything (with pictures) in a PDF and create an Installation (.Zip) file; so that all users can easily install it repeatedly as updates are done (1.2 ... 1.5) to the aircraft's gauges.

"All things come to he who waits - except documentation!"

5. Test it completely for FSX + SP2 / Acceleration.

Testing is a good thing! This code shouldn't care about FSX, SP1, SP2/Accelleration. It's pure gauge XML! FYI, I'm running the SP2/Accelleration config.

So have fun and thanks for the help. I've got to go on some business trips but I'll be watching (and hopefully flying again on the weekend).

Interesting.

The documentation I have doesn't show either a + or a "w". More specifically:

post-20904-1231198025_thumb.jpg

(from F-16 A/B Mid-Life Update, Production Tape M1, The Pilot's Guide.)

At least I should remove the +

correct my mistake you have to change the "+" to "| |" bar. The "W" is for bullseye when it is not implemented.

correct my mistake you have to change the "+" to "| |" bar. The "W" is for bullseye when it is not implemented.

The | | is the cursor box which is implemented with the cursor (which wasn't implemented when the picture was taken).

Your comment about the W makes sense. I noticed this on some of the example displays but didn't understand what it is. Since I am not implementing the bullseye, I should put the W in.