ESSA Arlanda Approach and Taxi lights update?

Egbert Drenth

Hi,

We are now 2.5 months after the FS2004 release of the Arlanda scenery.

Several users have indicated issues with the approach lighting and taxi lighting, so far not a word from the developer.

I would like to know if the developers acknowledge these issues and if yes: when will they be fixed?

Arlanda is good scenery, but the mentioned issues really should be adressed.

Egbert Drenth

Yes, I agree! My approach lights are ok but the taxiway lighting is absent (you can see the light posts but they are 100 percent dark). I know the developer is informed, but I can't understand the problem. I have bought many, many products from Aerosoft and never been disappointed before. Taxiway lights on all other Aerosoft airports work flawlessly. What is so special with Arlanda? The developer should be able to fix the lights in an hour or less.

In my opinion it is unacceptable that the problem is still there after 2,5 months. As it is now, Arlanda is unusable when it is dark, and in Stockholm it is right now dark from 15.00 pm to 09.00 am. So if nothing happens within a week or so, I will probably revert back to Swedflight's Arlanda (missing AES of course). Not very good PR for Aerosoft, I should say.

Krister Renard

Uppsala

Hello,

I quote:

"I also hd the problem, but after installing the new installer incl. the patch the problem got solved."

When I bought ESSA from Aerosoft it was version 1.00. No taxiway lights. Then there came a patch 1.10, which I installed. Still no taxiway lights. Then I found, when making a new download from my Aerosoft Account page, that this new file had version number 1.20. I uninstalled ESSA from my computer and installed version 1.20. Still no taxiway lights. What I do not understand is "after installing the new installer incl. the patch the problem got solved". Does that mean first installing version 1.20 ("the new installer") and then patch 1.10 ("the patch")? If so, it sounds very strange. Normally one would expect version 1.20 to include all changes made in version 1.10.

If the problem is solved by installing in some special order, then I beg Aerosoft to give explicit instructions (which version to start with etc).

Krister Renard

Uppsala

Hi Krister

I have just reinstalled Arlanda:

1. Downloaded version 1.20

2. Ran this installer and chosed Remove

3. When finished, re-ran the installer and that's it.

This is what I have now:

1. Green taxi lights - fixed

2. RW01R-19L (both sides) approach lights - not fixed (not bright enough, very difficult to see while everywhere else the lights are OK)

3. Well, OK... RW08 approach lights still run through a taxiway.

That's all I've noticed so far.

Regards

Iouri

Hi Iouri!

Thanks for the advice! I followed your instructions but no joy. No taxiway lights whatsoever. They do not shine at all. So I am still waiting for Aerosoft to solve this issue.

/Krister R

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Folks,

Any updates should technically come through Aerosoft.

I will write to them to ask if any updates were implemented in this scenery.

Hi,

it is now more than 2 weeks since I asked for a status update, in fact I'm trying to get a status update for more then 2 months now.

What is so darn difficult for Dream Factory Studio to reply to a simple and totally legimate question? I really don't understand this.

I don't care about the money, I think ESSA still is good scenery but it needs patch regarding the taxi and approach lighting. Nothing less, nothing more.

A simple yes or no would do, so everyone knows what to expect.

If Dream Factory Studio considers this as doing business as usual, ESSA is the only and last product buying from them.

I know Aerosoft is just the publisher, but maybe they can speed up the communication process with the developer.

That's all I'm asking.

A rather <fill in yourself> customer,

Egbert Drenth

Hi,

it is now more than 2 weeks since I asked for a status update, in fact I'm trying to get a status update for more then 2 months now.

What is so darn difficult for Dream Factory Studio to reply to a simple and totally legimate question? I really don't understand this.

I don't care about the money, I think ESSA still is good scenery but it needs patch regarding the taxi and approach lighting. Nothing less, nothing more.

A simple yes or no would do, so everyone knows what to expect.

If Dream Factory Studio considers this as doing business as usual, ESSA is the only and last product buying from them.

I know Aerosoft is just the publisher, but maybe they can speed up the communication process with the developer.

That's all I'm asking.

A rather <fill in yourself> customer,

Egbert Drenth

Hello!

I am sorry but the ball is on aerosofts desk the light patch was sent for almost one month or moore and it allso is included in the 1.20 version but better ask them to make a separate download for it it would be moore painless ;)

Cornel

Hello!

I am sorry but the ball is on aerosofts desk the light patch was sent for almost one month or moore and it allso is included in the 1.20 version but better ask them to make a separate download for it it would be moore painless ;)

Cornel

Hi Cornel,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

It appears the solution was already available, however no one notified.

BTW: Does the light patch also includes the taxi light bulbs in the middle of the taxi ways?

EDIT:

Aerosoft: Where can I find this version 1.20?

In the support section, only version 1.10 is available.

Hi folks,

FYI and as I have said before, I have downloaded Stockholm-Arlanda version 1.20 from my accounts page (that is the fs9 version I get when I redownload Stockholm-Arlanda there). I have installed this version twice (after removing the older version) and tested all possible graphic quality settings in fs9, but there are no blue or greenish taxiway edge lights shining. None whatsoever. Nada. Nothing. Nicths. They are absolutely 100 percent dark. I expect this to be fixed rather soon.

I wish all flight simulator enthusiasts av Happy New Year!

Krister Renard

Uppsala, Sweden

Hey guys,

I have version 1.1 installed, and the last flight i performed from ESSA was in dark, and i confirm i have green taxi center lights, and if i remember wel also blue lights.

I am in flight now and not able to check, but i am sure i have seen green and blue lights!

Are you sure you have set the "Global max texture size" to max and some other settings (i don't know witch one) also to the right because these are important for the last generation scenery's to show everything.

I am running FS9

I have now tested again with ESSA. In ESSA version 1.20 and fs9.1 I have set all graphics sliders to max (including "Max Texture Size"). No blue taxiway edge lights. I have tested many different combinations of settings with the same result. I can see the lights themselves. They are there, but they are not shining. They are not too dull, they are absolutely black. The taxiway center lights are working though.

I tested to add standard taxiway edge lights in the afcad-file, but they did not show up.

On all other airports (and I have lots and lots of them from different companies) the taxiway edge lights function as they should. But not in Aerosoft ESSA. What is so special with Arlanda?

I just bought Xtreme Heathrow the other day and there were no edge taxiway lights either. I wrote to Gary and he said that in British airports they don´t have taxiway edge lights any more, only the center lights. I suppose they save a lot of money that way. But Arlanda still have them.

If you need a very special graphic setting to see the taxiway edge lights, I think Aerosoft should inform us about that.

/Krister Renard

Uppsala, Sweden

Hi,

I do not think you are dim at all. There is some confusion going on regarding the different versions of Aerosoft ESSA. I logged in to my account ("Your Account" in the left frame of Aerosoft's homepage) and checked "Previous Orders". There I navigated to my ESSA order and clicked on "View". Here you can redownload both the fs9 and the FSX version of ESSA. The link to the fs9 version says; "AS_MEGA-AIRPORT-STOCKHOLM-ARLANDA_FS2004.zip" so you can´t see what version it is. But if you download it and open the zip-file, the installer .exe-file says version 1.20.

But I do not understand what is going on. If 1.20 is the latest version, why is the patch at the update page only 1.10? Is version 1.20 some kind of a secret? And why no information about the difference between 1.10 and 1.20. I asked Shaun about it, but got no reply. There seems to be some lack in communication between Aerosoft and Dreamfactory (or whoever actually made ESSA -- as far as I understand Aerosoft has not made this scenery).

best rgds

Krister Renard

Uppsala, Sweden

..checked "Previous Orders".

Hi,

Thanks for the head-up, downloaded the full installer again and that is indeed version 1.20.

It would have been nice if Aerosoft also included that version in the 'updates' section where we normally supposed to get our updates.

Installed the updated scenery with the following results:

- Taxi lighting -> Fixed, thanks for that.

- Approach lighting -> Still on the ground and not on the poles yet. It would be nice to have them on the poles since they are included anyway.

- Approach lighting RWY08 -> Still over taxiway Y

Hi again,

When you say "Taxi lighting -> fixed", I suppose you mean the the blue side lights (not the center lights).

I redownloaded the 1.20 version (to exclude the possibility that something has changed since I downloaded 1.20 a few days ago or that something went wrong with the first download). I Removed the old ESSA 1.20 and reinstalled. I tried all graphics settings in fs 9 as well as in Riva Tuner (I spent a couple of hours with this). But no blue taxiway lights on the left or right sides of the taxiways. The lamp posts are absolutely dark. Not one single blue photon is transmitted from them. The taxiway center lights are there and look very nice.

When I open the ESSA afcadfile with the excellent program Afcad.exe and select "View lights", there are no blue taxiway edge lights (only the center ones). When I check another scenery from Dreamfactory (Geneva) with the same program, I can see the blue lights. The same with all other sceneries I have (with the exception of EGLL, as there are no blue edge lights there). So there must be something special with Arlanda. Maybe they are using some kind of trick to generate the blue lights, which does not function on my setup. What do I know? I tried to add the blue edge lights to the ESSA afcad-file, but when I entered the simulation they were not there (which I don't understand). So there must be something special with Aerosoft's (or Dreamfactory's) Arlanda. Maybe something with elevations. I know this can cause odd problems sometimes.

Could the problem be the graphics drivers och the graphics card? I have Nvidia 8800 Ultra, with drivers 160.02 (I use these older drivers because I fly Falcon 4.0 as well, and this sim doesn't like the 170.xx och 180.xx drivers). But I switched to one the latest Nvidia drivers (180.48) and tested, but still no blue taxiway edge lights.

Hope this can be solved soon. I have bought airports for at least 2000 USD and also downloaded hundreds of freeware airports. On all other airports, with the exception of Aerosoft's ESSA, the taxiway edge blue lights function (except EGLL as pointed out above). What is so special with Arlanda? If you need to have some very special graphics settings to make the blue taxiway edge lights visible, then I think this should be clerly stated!

Krister Renard

Uppsala, Swden

Hi,

Ok, then I see. There are no problems with the blue taxiway edge lights. They are missing in the simulation, because they are missing in real life. Yes, I know this is the case at Heathrow, but Arlanda had the blue lights earlier. However I checked the latest maps for the lighting system at Arlanda, and there are no taxiway edge lights now as far as I can see. Why didn't Aerosoft say so, when I asked? That would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Then I have nothing more to say. Although I think that in bad weather there must be an advantage to have taxiway side lights as well as center lights. A friend of mine, who was a Captain in SAS, told me that once, when he was to take off from Moscow, it was snowing so heavily that had he taxied in the middle of the taxiway, he wouldn't have seen the taxiway side lights (and there were no center lights), so he had to taxi close to the taxiway lights on one side, and then he did not see the lights on the other side. In such conditions it must be an advantage with both side lights and center lights (you have both on the runway). Of course it is also a question about economy. But if they have the lights already (which they had at Arlanda), one should guess that it costs a lot of money to remove them. Anyhow, next week I will fly from Arlanda and then I will know what is true. If I see blue lights, then, "I will be back!" That's a promise.

Krister Renard

Uppsala, Sweden